Why become a member? ×

Fender Player Plus....more blurred lines or a smart move?

merello

I just spent $500 on a five-year-old Squier and I wouldn't trade it for any new MIM.

To be fair, I'll be trying out both the Precision and the Jazz tomorrow, but I doubt either one will measure up.

I'm not saying they're bad basses, but I seriously doubt they're good thousand-dollar basses.

Only plus about these Players are some of the finishes.

PhotoCollage_20210915_215602410.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

At the £1k price point, it's got some serious competition from G&L, Yamaha, Sire; all of whom offer something similar for less. If you then move away from traditional instruments add in Ibanez and Musicman..

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
Apologies for leaving out Sadowsky Metros, Sandbergs and Lakelands.
  • Like 1

Since the strength of the Fender brand is so strong, especially for basses, is having a good offering at each rung of the price point ladder more important to them than offering the same specs to price ratio as the less established brands?

At a step up from the standard American Pro II are a retro model and a modern model:

Am Ultra P – £2099

Am Original – £1949

Am Pro II P – £1849

Having the Player Plus in the range does the same job with the MIM models, they offer both a retro and a modern option as the step up from the standard Player:

Player Plus P – £1069

Vintera P – £1049

Player P – £779

Without it, for someone wanting to spend around a £1000 on a P, the only option would be the Vintera, which doesn't have universal appeal. The Player Plus balances that.

And the gap between the two sets is bridged with 

Am Performer P – £1279

MIJ Boxer – £1209

Edited by Ricky Rioli

I guess the Fender range is now something like this:

• Squier £350)
  • Player (£700)
  • Vintera (£900)
  • Player Plus (£1,000)
  • American Performer (£1,200)
  • American Professional (£1,700)
  • American Original (£1,800)
  • American Ultra (£1,900)
  • Custom Shop  (>£3,000)

....that's confusing enough but as they seem to change it each year and there are discontinued names like the Elite and American Deluxe, add to that the made in Japan/Mexico/USA versions and about 60 years of Jazz and P Basses with certain years being good/bad and different necks/pickups etc. what initially seems a fairly simple choice of Jazz or P Bass from Fender becomes really confusing. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, SumOne said:

...That's confusing enough but as they seem to change it each year and there are discontinued names like the Elite and American Deluxe, add to that the made in Japan/Mexico/USA versions and about 60 years of Jazz and P Basses with certain years being good/bad and different necks/pickups etc. what initially seems a fairly simple choice of Jazz or P Bass from Fender becomes really confusing. 

Precisely (Precisionally?) this.

It's reminiscent of the American automotive tradition of having "model years", and serves only to offer the new and used buyer a myriad of choices, which, once you take variable QC into account, may leave a cheaper bass being subjectively "better" than one further up the price ladder. 

That would make me not want to bother with the more expensive instruments unless I chanced upon a good 'un.

• Like 1

What gets me is finishes aside these are ostensibly the same basses as the MIM Deluxe family that clocked in 10-15% cheaper.  I have two MIM Deluxe PJs of different ages (one c.2005 with the 9v preamp and no active/passive, and one c.2015 with the same setup as these) and they’re both great, but neither would have me paying £1k.

The only MIM Fenders I’ve ever played that would justifiably command that kind of £££ were the Nate Mendal and Mike Dirnt Road worn signature models - different league. 

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with these and don't think the differences in spec are worth the price hike. The fades aren't my thing, but the silver burst HSS strat is nice and it'd be cool if they released a bass in that finish.

A mate recently picked up a strat from GuitarGuitar that I think was one of their exclusives. It's essentially a player series, but with a roasted maple neck, custom shop pups and it came in just under 800 quid. If there was a bass equivalent released then I'd be very tempted.

• Like 1

I was hugely impressed with the mex player p bass I bought this year . I think the price point is about right and the quality is great for the money. A great sounding no nonsense p bass. If I’m going to play the £1k + I’d be looking elsewhere, like a used sandberg, Mayones, sadowsky, MM etc. I just couldn’t pay that for a fender.

10 hours ago, Quilly said:

I was hugely impressed with the mex player p bass I bought this year . I think the price point is about right and the quality is great for the money. A great sounding no nonsense p bass. If I’m going to play the £1k + I’d be looking elsewhere, like a used sandberg, Mayones, sadowsky, MM etc. I just couldn’t pay that for a fender.

Agree, the regular Player Series are great basses and priced at the right point.

This is just the kind of thing we always see from Fender, trying to chase ‘new business’. What Fender don’t seem to have tried at any point (but I think would be extremely popular!) is a step further down the ‘American original’ series.

Take an iconic, genuine instrument from specific eras (let’s say, a ‘63 Precision as an example), and use advances in technology to scan the dimensions, wood types, neck profile, nitro composition etc and just recreate every exacting detail. Call it “American Authentic” range or similar and price it between £1500-3000 and offer all the classic finishes options (fiesta red etc). 

Job done.

11 minutes ago, skej21 said:

This is just the kind of thing we always see from Fender, trying to chase ‘new business’. What Fender don’t seem to have tried at any point (but I think would be extremely popular!) is a step further down the ‘American original’ series.

Take an iconic, genuine instrument from specific eras (let’s say, a ‘63 Precision as an example), and use advances in technology to scan the dimensions, wood types, neck profile, nitro composition etc and just recreate every exacting detail. Call it “American Authentic” range or similar and price it between £1500-3000 and offer all the classic finishes options (fiesta red etc). 

Job done.

The Vintera range is pretty close and far cheaper.

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

The Vintera range is pretty close and far cheaper.

It’s not at all close, and yes it’s cheaper… which was exactly my point.

The concept I explained is assuming that the kind of person who is looking for a budget, “ball park vintage-spec” Fender would buy Vintera 🙂

15 minutes ago, skej21 said:

It’s not at all close, and yes it’s cheaper… which was exactly my point.

The concept I explained is assuming that the kind of person who is looking for a budget, “ball park vintage-spec” Fender would buy Vintera 🙂

I guarantee if you made a fender exactly per the 60s specifications people today wouldn’t like it. 

the problem Fender and other manufacturers have is that their product will lasts forever (unless seriously mistreated)and has technically reached it's peak unlike say, a car, they're trying to sell to a market that doesn't really need or want a new one, so they keep bringing out new models, what else can they do?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I guarantee if you made a fender exactly per the 60s specifications people today wouldn’t like it. 

I would put money on it, that they’d get more sales through that idea and reclaim more market share from people who don’t want cheap vinteras, or expensive custom shop models but would buy a Limelight or Bravewood for £1000-2000

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

the problem Fender and other manufacturers have is that their product will lasts forever (unless seriously mistreated)and has technically reached it's peak unlike say, a car, they're trying to sell to a market that doesn't really need or want a new one, so they keep bringing out new models, what else can they do?

I’ve often wondered this , apart from the folks on this site the average person isn’t into guitars, basses or guitar music that much. Who’s buying all these new guitars exactly? Where do all the old ones go? As you say the don’t have built in obsolescence like cars or washing machines do

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Innovate?

• Thanks 1