Why become a member? ×

Steer me right on a new bass! (well, it could be a used new bass)

barrycreed

2 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Rickenbackers might be pretty to look at and sound great but they’re a pain in the bum to set up (terrible bridge design and nonsensical double truss rod) and they hum like hell. Unless you’re going for the 4004 ones .

The current models have an updated bridge with adjustable saddles. Still got that massive mute system, but the Hipshot's a direct swap if it's a pain. 

Some ltd edition Ricks are coming out with single truss rods but I don't think they're standard. That said, if you're competent at setting up a bass, a double truss rod isn't too much of a headache.

On 15/09/2021 at 18:40, TheGreek said:

I would recommend the G&L SB2 - PJ pups (but no tone control). Not heavy at all.

Here is a nice US SB-2 that comes with a tone control. Nice weight, decent price (no affiliation with the seller!):

Soundclips:

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 21:11, Cosmo Valdemar said:

The current models have an updated bridge with adjustable saddles. Still got that massive mute system, but the Hipshot's a direct swap if it's a pain. 

Some ltd edition Ricks are coming out with single truss rods but I don't think they're standard. That said, if you're competent at setting up a bass, a double truss rod isn't too much of a headache.

I was under the impression that all the current 4003's with the new bridge are single truss rod. No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong.

Had to do a set up on my 4003, where I had to adjust the truss rod (yes, had to stump up and buy the tool). Was a bit cautious admittedly, just adjusted one a quarter turn, then the other the same amount. Thankfully, they didn't need too much adjustment, and it's still a great player. Even the intonation's spott on.

• Like 1

Still on the hunt, and it doesn't get any easier. I spotted some interesting used basses near me that I had not considered:

G&L tribue L2000 (some G&L USA versions further afield but in same country)

A Washburn Status (headless, could be interesting if the treble could be tamed). Every online demo seems to be of people slapping the stinky poo out of this instrument, a style which has no appeal to me. I understand this is what they might be best suited to. They sure do look really cool though!

Ibanez SR500

A Yamaha bbga4 (never heard of these before)

A Cort EVL Z6 (never saw these before either, and is going for cheap)

Some kind of a weird looking Vantage MIJ bass, which looks cool anyhow!

And a load of P or PJ variations.

The choise is limitless it seems...

Edited by barrycreed