Why become a member? ×

Cars with boot big enough for small cab and bass

natjag

7 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

This page might help narrow it down: https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car
Go to the 'Boot' section and play around with the width filters e.g. 'Width of boot floor at narrowest point' should be at least the length of your bass case.

That’s an amazingly useful website, thanks!

We have an Auris hybrid estate - I haven’t tried it with bass gear but the boot is a decent size, and TFL says it doesn’t pay for the ULEZ. Only complaint is the ride is a bit bouncy, which has caused it to scrape the ground if you take a sharp speed bump too fast. Which? say they basically never go wrong though. 

Fiesta Eco Boost - fairly low emissions from 1L engine. Fits a Markbass STD102HF on the back seat, a Markbass Traveller 102P in the boot, two basses in the front seat/footwell and the various bags, mic stands and amp heads fitted in around it all. 

I’ve also got a Volvo V70 which obviously takes every bit of gear I’ve ever owned, but in terms of small, efficient and low- emission vehicles, the Fiesta works a treat for me.  

15 hours ago, casapete said:

Another +1 for a small / medium estate. I can never understand why musicians buy a hatch instead of an estate. Estates are so much easier to load, with no boot lid lip to lift gear over, and as long as they have a built in load cover are no less safe for leaving stuff in for short periods. They are rarely much longer than their hatchback counterparts, and (mostly) have the added advantage of a flat load area when the rear seats are down, making a much more useable way of carrying lots of stuff. I got a double wardrobe in my Astra estate on Monday! Only downside is that your mates will be asking you to move their stuff more often. 🤨

I had an Ocatvia estate before my current hatch. Turns out the only difference in boot space between the two is that the estate's rear screen/door is vertical whereas the hatch's is sloped. So there is actually very little difference in day-to-day useable boot space between the two. And the boot lip is the same.

I like estates though, and would definitely consider another one (especially if Alfa Romeo come to their senses and produce a Giulia Sportwagon).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

I had an Ocatvia estate before my current hatch. Turns out the only difference in boot space between the two is that the estate's rear screen/door is vertical whereas the hatch's is sloped. So there is actually very little difference in day-to-day useable boot space between the two. And the boot lip is the same.

I like estates though, and would definitely consider another one (especially if Alfa Romeo come to their senses and produce a Giulia Sportwagon).

My brother has had a few Octavia estates, and must admit that the first thing I noticed was the boot lip issue. The extra space from having the (near) vertical rear door on the estate is handy though, and makes for easier loading/stacking of gear. Great cars otherwise though.

Having had estates all of my musical life, I think I'd find it hard to go back to hatch / booted designs now, although must admit Barefaced cabs have made me consider it.

Edited by casapete

19 hours ago, Quilly said:

I've a Vauxhall Insignia, heaps of room. 

Word of warning...

I have an insignia ,quite an old one ..59 plate... I cannot fit my Precision in a gator case into the boot area without folding down a seat.

Maybe the newer models are bigger?

You can get cabs and amps and all sorts of smaller things in ,but not the bass in a case, disappointingly.

• Like 1

Another word of warning:

I have a lovely Nissan Note (2011) which ticks loads of boxes for what I need it for. Unfortunately a P bass hard case wont fit in the boot and has to live either in the rear footwell, or in the boot with the back seat dropped. Even in a soft case, it'll only go in the boot at an angle. Not a huge issue for me, but, if you ever leave your car unattended, even for a moment, your bass will be "on show" in the back of the car. With the back seats dropped, it swallows loads of gear (it accommodates all my gigging rig, a full drumkit and two people very comfortably) but if it was about 15 cm wider, it would make a huge difference. 

It's a great car tho'. 

I'm another Skoda Octavia driver.  I can get 2 1x12 cabs, my amp, a 2 or 3 accessory cases, instrument, mic, and music stands, suitbag, Gruv Gear Club Bag, and 2 basses in quality gig bags (iGig and Reunion Blues) , all in the boot and out of sight. 

• Like 2

I have a mark 7 Golf estate which easily takes a bass, a small 2 x 10, amp and a full PA.  I chose the Golf specifically because the boot is not "tidied up" around the wheel arches meaning the bass fits across the width behind the wheels.  My previous Golf was a Mk 6 hatch and the bass fit in easily widthwise too.  I suspect the standard Mk 6 golf would have accomodated the bass and a small cab.

I also owned a Merc SLK which accomodated the bass in the boot but the cab would need top go in the footwell.

Edited by Nicko
  • Like 1

And much as I like my Abarth, I've also got a Subaru Legacy estate which fits a Markbass 2x10 and 4x10 plus 6u amp rack, 2 foot square pedal board and 2 basses in the boot with the boots cover on and rear seats up. So there's lots of motors that'll do it... I'd say get the coolest,like this Packard Pro-Street hearse!

1952-packard-henney-pro-street-hearse-fo

• Like 3

On 18/09/2021 at 10:58, Nicko said:

I chose the Golf specifically because the boot is not "tidied up" around the wheel arches meaning the bass fits across the width behind the wheels. 

It's the tidying up around the arches that reduces space.

On 15/09/2021 at 20:17, Dan Dare said:

Given that there are dozens of cars with boots which will take a bass and 1x12 cab like yours, would we be correct to assume that you're looking for the smallest option? If the bass is in a full flight case, that limits things somewhat. A soft case/gigbag is more compact. How much do you want to spend?

I'm trying to find out which cars they are. The first courtesy car I was offered (Toyota Rav 4 I think) was much too small in the boot to put my bass across the boot. let alone a cab. It never used to be a problem with my first few cars. Fortunately Cabs have come down in size and weight as well.

Mu current car is a Jaguar XF. I changed my cab from 2x12 Bergantino to aguilar 1 x 12's just to fit the boot. 

19 minutes ago, natjag said:

I'm trying to find out which cars they are. The first courtesy car I was offered (Toyota Rav 4 I think) was much too small in the boot to put my bass across the boot. let alone a cab. It never used to be a problem with my first few cars. Fortunately Cabs have come down in size and weight as well.

Mu current car is a Jaguar XF. I changed my cab from 2x12 Bergantino to aguilar 1 x 12's just to fit the boot. 

If you want to fit a cased bass across the width of the vehicle, you're going to need a saloon, hatchback or estate and it will have to be wide - at least Mondeo size (such as your XF). I run a Toyota Camry, into which it fits into quite easily. Many SUVs, such as the Rav4, may have the width, but they have a wheel at each corner, so the arches protrude into the boot and leave insufficient space.

You guys have nice cars! I got an old fiat brava, fit a couple of basses and guitars in the boot, despite me having a bunch of tools, spare parts and other junk in there. Never had to carry and amp but I'm fairly certain it'll fit most ones without a hitch. I doubt you'll want a fiat brava but oh well, my 2 cents.

On 16/09/2021 at 10:17, Rich said:

As an ex owner of a 159 TI Sportwagon I agree with you but think they are going the SUV route: I heard the Guilia is going to be discontinued and future platforms will be based on Peugot and Citroen. Not even sure if the Tonale is going ahead now with the merger...?

• Sad 1

On 18/09/2021 at 13:30, goingdownslow said:

I can get my Warwick Thumb Bass in a gig bag in my MX5 boot and with the passenger seat removed, a Hartke Kickback 15 combo or TCE RS212 + small head, a fold up trolley and my leads bag inside.
It's also a good excuse to not give lifts.

.....although if you did break down the Thumb Bass could come in handy...?

• Haha 1

On 18/09/2021 at 13:30, goingdownslow said:

I can get my Warwick Thumb Bass in a gig bag in my MX5 boot and with the passenger seat removed, a Hartke Kickback 15 combo or TCE RS212 + small head, a fold up trolley and my leads bag inside.
It's also a good excuse to not give lifts.

My RX8 boot swallows a headless Status in a gig bag plus pedalboard and assorted stands, two MB cabs on the back seat and still room for a passenger in the front. Unlikely to pass the ULEZ test though. 

2 hours ago, natjag said:

It's the tidying up around the arches that reduces space.

Bass in case or gigbag? It makes a huge difference!

You mentioned a need for a hybrid/ e car. Is that a hard requirement or not?

You implied a requirement for something as small as possible, to contain bass and cab out of sight. I thought that was pretty clear. I don't know why every gig wagon on existence is getting a mention.

A Rav4 is pretty big for a small car!

What's the budget?

I had a little Chrysler Ypsilon a few years back. Closely related to the Fiat 500, but with rear doors!

It had a little 800cc 2-cylinder petrol engine (I think they called it as a "Twinair" engine) with a semi-auto gearbox, got 50+mpg and qualified for £0 road tax, and, with the back seats down, I was able to fit a Markbass 6x10", two flightcased basses, an SVT-7 head and a couple of bags. I rolled up to one of the Bass Bashes back in 2014 (I think) in it, with all my gear, as well as Mike Flynn and some of his. :)

Nice enough little car. Bumpy suspension though, and typical Fiat build quality (ie, crappy plastics, always felt like bits were going to fall off, not the most comfortable seats, etc). Good value used. 

Not really the spec you’re after but a bonus of the mini clubman is the double doors for the boot mean you can lean into the boot with your bass on your back without bashing into the typical boot lid. Makes that one trip load in just that little bit easier.