Why become a member? ×

Cars with boot big enough for small cab and bass

natjag

Due to someone rear ending my car, and probably going to be a write off, I need to replace my car. Many cars these days seem to have the rear bits filled in inside the boot, reducing the width of the boot. I prefer to have my bass in my boot, so when I'm away from the car there aren't any temptations from potential opportunists. 

What car do you drive that can fit a bass and small (aguilar SL112) cab in the boot. Ideally I'm looking for a ULEZ compliant car.

I've got an Abarth 500; the size of the boot is more suited to a singer with no more than 2 mics and a very small notebook of lyrics. With the seats down I can just about squeeze a bass amp and Markbass 4x10 in, but there's not much rear vision. However, it's such fun that:

a) I don't care

b) I've scared the other members of the band sufficiently that I don't need to worry about carrying a passenger as well...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I actually considered an estate , simply  so I could buy an 810 😂

Same. 

I inherited a golf mk4. While it's not the biggest car around it does have ample room inside. Barefaced supertwin, abm600 and pedalboard bag fit easily into the boot, bass on the backseat. 

Although it's 18 years old it's only got 50k on it. As long as the bodywork holds up (no rust yet) I can see myself driving this for the next 10 years. 

• Like 1

Another +1 for a small / medium estate. I can never understand why musicians buy a hatch instead of an estate. Estates are so much easier to load, with no boot lid lip to lift gear over, and as long as they have a built in load cover are no less safe for leaving stuff in for short periods. They are rarely much longer than their hatchback counterparts, and (mostly) have the added advantage of a flat load area when the rear seats are down, making a much more useable way of carrying lots of stuff. I got a double wardrobe in my Astra estate on Monday! Only downside is that your mates will be asking you to move their stuff more often. 🤨

• Like 2

Skoda Octavia carries my markbass 2x12…2 Electrovoice SX PA speakers and two poles… PA amp… Markbass amp…gig bag… leads bag…pedal board bag….leaving the back seat up! It also carried two MB 2x10 cabs and various bags plus bass in soft case. The estate versions though don’t have a flat load area when the back seats are dropped so loading in a wardrobe isn’t as easy as some cars 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given that there are dozens of cars with boots which will take a bass and 1x12 cab like yours, would we be correct to assume that you're looking for the smallest option? If the bass is in a full flight case, that limits things somewhat. A soft case/gigbag is more compact. How much do you want to spend?

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Whilst small cars are great, do bear in mind that the police don’t take kindly to obviously overloaded vehicles, and also the dangers of having a stuff with all that gear stacked up behind you. Also in the event of a crash, your insurance company may try to wriggle out of paying up if the vehicle is badly overloaded or not being used for the purpose it states on the policy.

Be careful out there. 😊

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, casapete said:

Whilst small cars are great, do bear in mind that the police don’t take kindly to obviously overloaded vehicles, and also the dangers of having a stuff with all that gear stacked up behind you. Also in the event of a crash, your insurance company may try to wriggle out of paying up if the vehicle is badly overloaded or not being used for the purpose it states on the policy.

Be careful out there. 😊

RUN!!! The fun police are here!! 🚔 🚓 👮‍♀️ 🚨 👮‍♂️

• Haha 3

The last gig I played I traveled in guitarists Nissan note, a compact hatchback with 2 basses , 2 electric guitars an Ashdown Head, a 210, a guitar combo , an acoustic, a power amp , 2 effects racks and various leads , guitar stands etc, with no issue at all and the front seats as normal . Just don’t bring flight cases . A decent gigbag should do ,just be careful, put the guitars in last.

Re the OP's ULEZ reference, I had Toyota Prius's as company cars between 2009 and 2016, while not exactly a spirited drive, a bass in a gigbag fits horizontally across the back, with room for either my Eden 4x10 or latterly a barefaced 2x10, plus soft bags for cables, amps etc and all hidden from sight.

• Like 1