Why become a member? ×

K&K Bass Max sounds very uneven

lobematt

Hi guys, I got a new upright a few months back and installed a Bass Max pick up on it. I've used this same pickup for years on my old bass and the G string was quite compared to the E but it wasn't too much of an issue. 

On the new bass the G string is almost in audible and the E is BOOMING! I don't know much about DB gear so no don't know where to start trying to fix the problem. The bass has come with an adjustable bridge, would that affect the volume output? 

I'm tempted to try the dual bass max... Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2 elements can lead to comb filtering so many prefer one element (I certainly do). 

The biggest factor in sound reproduction in these types of pickups is the pressure on the elements. On one of my basses I filed away a bit of the bridge and used a wedge of wood to adjust the pressure. 

It could be that there’s too much pressure or not enough. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I bought a Bassmax and sold it after two days. Bought a single Zac Vic Victor and still have it some years later. Much better than the Bassmax. I think it was cheaper too. BTW, the pressure on any piezo pickup determines the sound. Too tight and sounds wrong and feeds back. Too loose and the guts drop out. Experimentation is the key.

I've had the bassmax a while ago for close to 8 years or so and it never really worked for me perfectly like I wanted. Sold it for close to nothing to a friend and bam! on his bass it worked wonderfully.

I guess this pickup is really fussy about the bass and the bridge you install it into...

I own a Bassmax and have ported it across from one bass to another. Based on my experience it really needs to fit well to get a good sound. I've always chosen the G side of the bridge and there the sound has been even across the entire range of the bass.

I've had adjustable bridges and I don't think that affected the sound at all, and I agree with @DanOwens in that a double pickup would probably not help, although as a counter-argument I've used the BP-100 which has two piezo elements and didn't notice anything, so it can be done.