Why become a member? ×

Rejections - part 2....

Jakester

3 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

It's a big band, so has a lot of members -

It's not a big band - unsure of exact line up but on the pics its rhythm + vox, plus sax, trumpet and bone. 

I think the Weds thing has been slightly blown out of proportion - the reason for rejection was "split loyalties", rather than unavailability, suggesting that they wouldn't take anyone with commitments to another band. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubit said:

Our drummist was in two bands and we didn't mind that much up until he started turning down our gigs because he had gigs with his other band. He was out then.

My take on this (which has worked for 25+ years) is be upfront with each - whoever books it first gets it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

It's a big band, so has a lot of members - they need a fixed rehearsal night because a) a Whatsapp group to arrange a flexi-night won't work and b) rehearsal space requirements probably mean they need to block-book somewhere.

They should be able to find a bass player who can rehearse Wednesdays. After all they already found 2 or 3 trombonists players who can. And 2 or 3 trumpet players. ..... and so on.

Every big band I've ever played in (and there have been a few...) had a rotating pool of players who could cover whatever was needed. 

50 minutes ago, Jakester said:

I think the Weds thing has been slightly blown out of proportion - the reason for rejection was "split loyalties", rather than unavailability, suggesting that they wouldn't take anyone with commitments to another band. 

But if you'd have said yes to their rehearsal schedule, then the "split loyalties" quote probably wouldn't have come up.  If they have their pre arranged band schedule, they want someone who can fit in with that.

I don't really see an issue here.

Fixed rehearsal times are definitely  'a thing' though.

For example Radiohead were originally called "On A Friday" - named after the rehearsal day. They only changed the name to "Radiohead" because bassist Colin Greenwood wanted to join a swing band on the side and needed more flexible rehearsals.

OK, I made the last bit up 😀

• Haha 3