Why become a member? ×

New Fender Player Plus Series

yorks5stringer

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Nice colours and sounds but a significant price difference to the Player (£999) , although I guess they may discount?

They look great. The finish and the active electronics, and the 5th string must be the price difference. But yet again no lefties!!!! I would probably buy a jazz v if they made one at that price point and in those finishes for me and my kind. 

Guess I'll just save 600 quid and get a Sire. 

35 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

They look great. The finish and the active electronics, and the 5th string must be the price difference. But yet again no lefties!!!! I would probably buy a jazz v if they made one at that price point and in those finishes for me and my kind. 

They are basically an updated Mexican Deluxe. Nice but as you say a Sire will be quite a bit cheaper with similar spec.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

It's a 4 stringer on the YT clip but you do get 18v active/passive, upgraded bridge, noiseless pickups and sparkly finishes....

9 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

It's a 4 stringer on the YT clip but you do get 18v active/passive, upgraded bridge, noiseless pickups and sparkly finishes....

I'd looked at one or two of the emails from every guitar shop I've ever heard of, most of the basses that caught my eye were jazz 5s. I'd like a 5 string jazz again and I'd have been tempted by one of these but alas, not for me. 

Edited by uk_lefty

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

They are basically an updated Mexican Deluxe. 

I think you are right.

Looks like Fender's marketing people really love the letter "P": Professional I, Professional II, Performer, Player and now Player Plus.

What next? Power, Progress, Proficiency, Prestige, Privilege, Popular, Phenomenon, Pure, Paradigm, Preference, Paramount, Pleasure, Premiere, Pinnacle, Premium, Prowess, Purity, or Peak?

Ok, Fender, in case you'll go for one of these, don't forget my 20% commission 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I think you are right.

Looks like Fender's marketing people really love the letter "P": Professional I, Professional II, Performer, Player and now Player Plus.

What next? Power, Progress, Proficiency, Prestige, Privilege, Popular, Phenomenon, Pure, Paradigm, Preference, Paramount, Pleasure, Premiere, Pinnacle, Premium, Prowess, Purity, or Peak?

Ok, Fender, in case you'll go for one of these, don't forget my 20% commission 😉

You forgot the Fender Potato range.

• Haha 2

A couple of nice finishes but that's about it. 

Silver Smoke only available on the P bass, Tequila Sunrise only available on the 5-string Jazz...another brilliant move!

Oh, yeah, nice to see a significant jump in price, too...but that's okay, they have several $1,000 plus MIMs, and people have been buying them.

Me?

Hell, I'll just wait until next year when they come out with the Player Plus Profesional Performer...maybe they'll actually have a friggn' tone control.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Before a Player gets to be a Performer, they need to be a Practiser, and later, before they're a Pro they're just a Part-timer. I would like to see the specs for the American Past-it Precision. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I think you are right.

I believe they had already used at least Power and Paramount. 

Just wanted to hear the jazz version. Seems to be nice.

If I had to choose a series within the Fender range though I'd feel lost they keep tossing around new nicknames for the same old series with VERY minor changes.

But then again how does one keep marketing a product that's always been there?

I find it interesting that Fender keep introducing new finishes, rather than keep classic finishes like Sonic Blue, Fiesta Red, Shell Pink etc.  It seems that most of the people who are buying high end Fender style bassees are going for these types of finishes, and I think Fender are missing out.  

• Like 1

Why don't they just do a Mexican take on their USA Vintage style models? E.g. classic colours like shell pink/sonic blue/sunburst in a nice non-road worn nitro finish, put some good USA Fender pickups in, and only have a gig bag.  It seems a lot of the attraction to basses like the MIM Flea bass is lost...e.g. excellent quality USA pickups and a cool finish.

If they want the more modern take, say the Jazz 5, don't make them active, just put great modern pickups in (USA custom shop range).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

Why don't they just do a Mexican take on their USA Vintage style models? E.g. classic colours like shell pink/sonic blue/sunburst in a nice non-road worn nitro finish, put some good USA Fender pickups in, and only have a gig bag.  It seems a lot of the attraction to basses like the MIM Flea bass is lost...e.g. excellent quality USA pickups and a cool finish.

A bit like the old Classic 60 Jazz in Nitro (I bought one new in 2013 and still have it)?

I suspect they will do that with the Vintera range soon. I've spent a long time looking for a suitable partner for my classic 60s and just bought a Vintera 60s this morning - so the cellulose Vintera Jazz will be announced by the end of the month!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

I find it interesting that Fender keep introducing new finishes, rather than keep classic finishes like Sonic Blue, Fiesta Red, Shell Pink etc.  It seems that most of the people who are buying high end Fender style bassees are going for these types of finishes, and I think Fender are missing out.  

Totally. CAR, LPB OW with matching headstock. In terms of cost, offering another paint finish is quite economical. However that might hurt interest and sales of special runs and custom shop models.
Personally speaking, many of the colour choices Fender has offered haven’t excited me - well, one or two have but they have tended to disappear quickly (e.g plasma burst on the US Jazz Ultra, I think). Offering 10 exciting colours would do just as much to boost sales, if not more than the model name switcheroo.

The reality is that each model that comes out is 99.99% recognisable as a Precision or a Jazz, and tweaks and change of name is just marketing. Maybe they’ve assessed that their target audience responds to this, or maybe it’s general corporate pressure to always be seen to be releasing new products, but I don’t think anyone is fooled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 20:31, Ricky Rioli said:

Before a Player gets to be a Performer, they need to be a Practiser, and later, before they're a Pro they're just a Part-timer. I would like to see the specs for the American Past-it Precision. 

This resonates, definitely still a practicer and hoping to make it to part timer by 65 so I can jam as I age.

• Like 2