Why become a member? ×

Long cold winter without your … bass?

DawnPatroller

Good morning everybody.

Situation is this: upcoming house move involving a new place for renovation. Intending to store most of my belongings in the garage while the work is being done. Garage is stand alone/detached but dry.

How important is maintaining temperature for storing basses? One in a hardcase, one in a gig bag, low value gear. I expect my stuff to be stashed away in there for the majority of this winter (UK based). Is the sky going to fall in if I do this?

TIA etc etc.

Storing upright is not something I would have thought of - thank you!

New house is very neglected (elderly owner) and needs much interior work, cosmetic as well as redesign. My plan is to load furniture into centre of each room and work around it for replastering, redecorating, etc. Get each room up and running one by one. Meantime, all items that fall under the category of 'can live without for a couple of months' are being boxed up for storing in the garage. Need to have as much stuff out of the way as possible to make life easier.

Good on you for taking the project on, but given that you've said you'll be doing each room one by one, I'd be tempted to find a central space in one room to stand the two basses up in. I'm they would be alright in the garage if it's dry, but it only takes the wrong person to see a new owner putting their belongings in a garage and you could potentially have a disaster.

• Like 2

I would also be concerned about the temperature variations when storing things like an instrument in a garage / summer house etc.

Surely it would be better to keep them inside in a constant temperature (and humidity) to minimise any movement in the instrument.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

Good morning everybody.

Situation is this: upcoming house move involving a new place for renovation. Intending to store most of my belongings in the garage while the work is being done. Garage is stand alone/detached but dry.

How important is maintaining temperature for storing basses? One in a hardcase, one in a gig bag, low value gear. I expect my stuff to be stashed away in there for the majority of this winter (UK based). Is the sky going to fall in if I do this?

TIA etc etc.

I left one in our loft for two years and it came down just fine

it was even (almost) in tune

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Dry is the important thing. I stored my old Yam BB for about 12 years in a completely unheated but dry warehouse without any serious issues.

Our loft froze in winter and dripped, and cooked in summer and my bass (not in hard case) came out just fine 

@DawnPatroller it was stored upright 

• Like 1

I'm assuming the thread title is a nod to Cinderella's Long Cold Winter? Just for those that picked up on the reference, allow me to ruin the song. Listen to Tom Keifer's lengthy rocking blues solo from 2 mins 30 and then just as the solo climaxes around 3 minutes 34, think of the Muppet Show

Edited by Cat Burrito

I moved house last year but had to put most of my possessions into storage over the winter. Admittedly, this was a professional storage warehouse, but not one of these personal lock up affairs, this was in great big wooden crates, in ceiling high racking, doors open to the elements and not heated AFAIK. I put my basses and guitars into their gig bags and those into cardboard boxes. I took about a turn off of each tuner and had them stacked flat. 6 months later, I was reunited with them and it was like nothing had happened. I offer no specific advice, this is just what I experienced in the last year. I wonder how basses and guitars are stored by manufacturers and distributors?

• Like 1