Why become a member? ×

Lee Pomeroy

diskwave

11 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Watching ELO at Wembly on Sky. What a cool fellow Mr P is....great playing, always smiling and larking about and doing backing vox too...my type of performer..brilliant indeed.

Absolutely. Top player and a fine fella too. I was lucky enough to meet him a few years back now when my band was playing in Richmond - he and some other guys from Jeff Lynne’s ELO came to see us. Fortunately I didn’t know they were in until they stayed for a chat afterwards or else I’d have been extremely nervous. (Got a pic somewhere, will add if I can find it).

WP_20160706_22_07_27_Pro.jpg

Edited by casapete
Add pic
  • Like 5

He’s a class act, supremely talented and a nice bloke to boot. Deserves all his success.

I used to hang out with him and the other guys from Rock Bottom in Croydon - he got me into their ‘house band’ Skittle Alley as he didn’t want the gig (not his kind of music at the time, it was rock/funk ironically).

He also threw up in the back of my brand new car on the way back from a gig at the Lazy Toad in Beckenham. Took months for the smell to wane…

Anyway, I’ll just park this here:

• Like 5

Its an interstesting thing really. There are players as in many of us here...good players with mega chops but then there are "performers" like Pomeroy who literally put on a one man micro show, whatever their doing...

Its really satisfying watching that level of talent. I used to sing backing and muck about a bit but not whilst playing those tricky ELO tunes.....guy looks so relaxed and in control its really good to see.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jest seen him with Caravan. He can’t sing, but neither can Pye Hastings… but together with the new drummer (they’re pals from Crowborough, Sussex, apparently) he’s revitalised the old warhorse. What a player…

Wielded what looked like a boutique version of a black Fender Jazz, possibly with DeMarzios.

4 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Jest seen him with Caravan. He can’t sing, but neither can Pye Hastings… but together with the new drummer (they’re pals from Crowborough, Sussex, apparently) he’s revitalised the old warhorse. What a player…

Wielded what looked like a boutique version of a black Fender Jazz, possibly with DeMarzios.

Seeing them tonight - had no idea Lee Pomeroy was on board. Any idea what's happened to Jim Leverton?

36 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Seeing them tonight - had no idea Lee Pomeroy was on board. Any idea what's happened to Jim Leverton?

According to Geoff Richardson he wanted to return to session work/more RnB-flavoured material. An amicable divorce.

GR also made the point that Lee had listened to the originals and was playing ‘heritage basslines’ which, I think, indicates it is a good thing generally.

The drummer is bloody good too, reminds me of John Pugwash Weathers of Gentle Giant fame.

Edited by Mickeyboro

Is it still Mark Walker on drums? Seen them with him before, yes very good.

I've just had an email about tonights show, with a running time for Caravan of about an hour and a quarter. Does that sound right from your show?

Edited by toneknob

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

Is it still Mark Walker on drums? Seen them with him before, yes very good.

I've just had an email about tonights show, with a running time for Caravan of about an hour and a quarter. Does that sound right from your show?

Get there for 7.30… I was told 8 and missed the start!

Ended at 10.25, but there was a lengthy interval. Certainly felt we got our money’s worth.

And yes, still Mark.  You could have just watched him all night - apart from the facial expressions, he would be a dream drummer for any bassist to play with.

On 14/09/2021 at 12:52, wateroftyne said:

He's an amazing player. A bit gutted he's on on the current Hackett tour 'cos he was mint last time.

Didn’t know that. Had tickets for Hackett but it was the same night as Genesis so missed it. Not that I’m regretting it! 

Caravan update from last night: turns out the Union Chapel sent out duff info re timing, so thanks to @Mickeyboro for the heads up for actual set times.

Excellent show, well surpassing the last time I saw them at the QEH a few years ago.

Of course the Pomeroy chap played a blinder, turns out the lad can sing as well! His spot in 9FU was a delight.

But it highlights how much I miss Richard Sinclair from the band, so today I'm spinning those awesome pre-Plump albums.

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Caravan update from last night: turns out the Union Chapel sent out duff info re timing, so thanks to @Mickeyboro for the heads up for actual set times.

Excellent show, well surpassing the last time I saw them at the QEH a few years ago.

Of course the Pomeroy chap played a blinder, turns out the lad can sing as well! His spot in 9FU was a delight.

But it highlights how much I miss Richard Sinclair from the band, so today I'm spinning those awesome pre-Plump albums.

Were you into Hatfield & the North? I interviewed RS for a live reissue and couldn’t believe how self-effacing he was. Felt he didn’t belong in such company!

Glad you didn’t miss Caravan’s first number, too... 

Yep, love Hatfield. Maybe start a new Richard Sinclair thread? 😁

I saw him with Hatfield around the mid-2000s at the Borderline and LA2 (RIP x2). Had a chat after the Borderline show, and we swapped a few emails subsequently. A very nice chap indeed.

37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

So is Lee doing the whole Caravan tour? I love Caravan and Lee’s great. I hadn’t actually realised they were touring but I might look for tickets. 

Yep, from what I heard last night he's now a member of the band with Jim Leverton having stepped aside to concentrate on other bands. (from what I can tell from facebook, The Blue Devils, who do the Kent circuit - maybe he wants to stay local these days?)

Remaining tour dates here: https://officialcaravan.co.uk/gigs/

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 1