Why become a member? ×

Can I match a Markbass combo with a Markbass cab?

Chris2112

Just a quick question to anyone who might know or might be able to assist. 

I currently use a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo but I really want to get something with some 10" speakers or smaller with a tweeter to get that 'zing' for slapping, as I'm getting back into that style of playing after years of not bothering with it. 

My brother offered to lend me his Markbass Traveller 2x10" cab which would stack quite nicely onto top of the JB combo. That way I could keep that really sweet middy tone from the JB and mix in a little snap from the 2x10". My guess is that it should match without any impedance issues, is it just as simple as running a cable from the preamp into the slave amp? 

The Traveler 102p comes in 4ohm and 8ohm versions.  You need it to be the 8ohm version or this won't work.

Don't use the preamp out, and there is no slave amp involved (i.e. a second, standalone amp head) - unless I've misunderstood. What you want to do is run a speaker cable from 'speaker out' on the back of the Jeff Berlin into the cab's input.

Alternatively  you could just get a combo with a tweeter  which would be much easier to transport unless you are wedded to the 15" speaker in the JB? There are a number of options:

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/cmd-super-combo-k1/

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/cmd-121h/

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mini-cmd-151p-iv/

(above has the piezo driver which some dislike)

I love the fingerstyle tone from the JB. I wouldn't be averse to another amp but I wouldn't really want two combos sitting around. That would then leave me with the issue of selling the JB (and selling amps is usually a faff IME due to the size and weight of them). So another cab to add back in the top end sizzle could work well! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 23:28, Sparky Mark said:

You could add a Markbass New York 151 cab which has an adjustable piezo tweeter. This tweeter is fine when you can control its level. This cab is also the perfect size to stack under your JB combo.

This makes the most sense. 10s are not snappier than 15s, it’s the piezo that makes the difference.