Why become a member? ×

Ugly Bass thread

Bobo_08

13 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Burns have some form in the UBG stakes:

B5523C26-86DA-4324-BFF2-28F1A8A89864.jpeg

9B710E70-E77B-406E-919F-4B75DC4E0C20.jpeg

63AEE144-863F-450A-8CA0-40A1730768A0.webp

Although, I also find the Fender Mustang and G&L Fallout’s looks into the challenging category and I own a Mustang.

I like the Nu-Sonic a lot. I’ve always loathed the Mustang but for some bizarre reason suddenly really want one.

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

I like the Nu-Sonic a lot. I’ve always loathed the Mustang but for some bizarre reason suddenly really want one.

I think Burns’ biggest problem is their love affair with the big, poorly shaped pickguard/electronics housing.

The Mustang makes a lot more sense when you have it on a strap, the elongated, slab body suddenly works, with you hands falling, comfortably into the ‘right’ positions, any contouring would be superfluous (well, for me at least). It even looks better being worn, rather than when standing alone.

• Like 1

Just now, ezbass said:

The Mustang makes a lot more sense when you have it on a strap, the elongated, slab body suddenly works, with you hands falling, comfortably into the ‘right’ positions, any contouring would be superfluous

Thanks that’s really useful info. Functionality and sound definitely trump looks for me.

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Thanks that’s really useful info. Functionality and sound definitely trump looks for me.

I suppose it depends on your body shape, but I’m 6 foot, 85kgs and have medium sized hands.

Speaking of ugly… 😆

20035E3D-30EE-42D7-AF59-5C2F8CEF0EA8.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

With the P and J shape being so ubiquitous I just think they are what pop into my head when people say bass. Like if you say hatchback car I would think VW Golf and Estate probably a Volvo. Neither offensive or exciting just nicely car shaped! 

When it comes to the sound of a P or J, well othat’s a different matter. If I was looking for a P bass sound I may as well get a P bass.

Edit: The exception to this for me is the Jazz. The looks neither excite nor bore me. It’s a classic shape that is pleasing on the eye, but I have had a couple and find the shape a bit annoying in use. Tempted to sell the one I have now and get a Sandberg J.

I have honestly never been into the idea that for a certain sound a certain bass is required. 

I've just wanted something that sounds like a "bass guitar" and besides IME most of the sound comes from how you play it and how you treat the electronic signal it produces rather than the actual instrument itself.

Also I've been told that most of the "P-Bass sound" comes from the type and position of the pickup, so anything with the appropriate pickup in the right pace should get you close enough in the band mix.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Also I've been told that most of the "P-Bass sound" comes from the type and position of the pickup, so anything with the appropriate pickup in the right pace should get you close enough in the band mix.

Sure so as as like a classic P I may as well buy one. It’s the timeless simplicity of the design that I like.

Edit: As well as the sound. Particularly with flats. 

Edited by tegs07

I think it's fair to say boring isn't the same  as ugly and one person's boring is another's classic design.

You can argue most of the 'ugly' guitars are the adventurous designs or those trying to be different. And that the 'boring' ones are boring simply because they are popular, so you see many of them.

The basses that get the widest appreciation seem to be those that take one of the 'classic' designs and tweak it slightly, so it is at once familiar but distinctive.

A good test is to look at a bass of opposite hand to what you are used to. The asymmetry of a jazz bass really stands out this way, for example, and it seems quite radical.

But it's foolish to think ugly can be anything other than subjective.

The Hagstrom above is an 'ugly' I'd be happy to live with, as it is characterful.

Other people have Bongos or Alembics I think look absurd, yet others delight in them.

There's no right or wrong. It's like tortoiseshell versus plain scratchplates, natural wood versus painted. Neither makes any practical difference but some people get deeply offended by one or the other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think it's fair to say boring isn't the same  as ugly and one person's boring is another's classic design.

You can argue most of the 'ugly' guitars are the adventurous designs or those trying to be different. And that the 'boring' ones are boring simply because they are popular, so you see many of them.

One of the advantages of a classic style is that it never really goes out of fashion and can be used with anything by anyone.

If you only have one bass something like one of BC Rich more adventurous designs may not be the best choice unless you’re only ever going to play metal. A subtle (boring) P bass design whether Yamaha, Fender, Sire, G&L or whatever could be used in pretty much any band.

FD592DE8-E6C8-4418-B875-ECC4BBFE1EE3.jpeg

Edited by tegs07

It's sad that such mundane conservatism has crept into music. In the 70's and 80's, there was so much excitement seeing bands using innovative and interesting instruments. Now, it's as if there's a dreary uniform bands feel they have to wear in order not to upset those who demand adherence to an aesthetic code for each genre. It's a depressing attitude. No risk, no character, just conformity. Meh.

🙂

7C829740-BC35-4BE4-8A1B-A0AFEE168BF0.jpeg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

One of the advantages of a classic style is that it never really goes out of fashion and can be used with anything by anyone.

If you only have one bass something like one of BC Rich more adventurous designs may not be the best choice unless you’re only ever going to play metal. A subtle (boring) P bass design whether Yamaha, Fender, Sire, G&L or whatever could be used in pretty much any band.

FD592DE8-E6C8-4418-B875-ECC4BBFE1EE3.jpeg

I don't know - spray it silver sparkle and I reckon Bootsy Collins would love it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The BC Rich Eagle is positively mundane compared to some of their output though. I think it would fit in anywhere in the sense of someone who's dressed a little out of the ordinary but you have a pint and a yap with them and they turn out to be sound as a pound.

27 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It's sad that such mundane conservatism has crept into music. In the 70's and 80's, there was so much excitement seeing bands using innovative and interesting instruments. Now, it's as if there's a dreary uniform bands feel they have to wear in order not to upset those who demand adherence to an aesthetic code for each genre. It's a depressing attitude. No risk, no character, just conformity. Meh.

🙂

7C829740-BC35-4BE4-8A1B-A0AFEE168BF0.jpeg

I suspect Flea or Nate Mendel could play any outrageous bass that took their fancy. Your average function band may raise some eyebrows in purple paisley and a Warlock though.