Why become a member? ×

Ugly Bass thread

Bobo_08

22 hours ago, ezbass said:

Burns have some form in the UBG stakes:

9B710E70-E77B-406E-919F-4B75DC4E0C20.jpeg

A very battered second-hand example of that was my very first bass guitar, and chosen in preference to a new Grant or Columbus P or J copy partly because it was about £15 cheaper but more importantly because ti me it had something a bit more interesting about it.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

A very battered second-hand example of that was my very first bass guitar, and chosen in preference to a new Grant or Columbus P or J copy partly because it was about £15 cheaper but more importantly because ti me it had something a bit more interesting about it.

The pickups remind of burns trisonic pickups as used in copies of Brian May's Red Special. 

31 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

The pickups remind of burns trisonic pickups as used in copies of Brian May's Red Special. 

That's because they are Burns Tri-Sonic pickups (hence the name of the bass). IIRC the guitar and bass versions are exactly the same electronically, just the covers for the guitar version have 6 indentations on the top and bass version have 4.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You can argue most of the 'ugly' guitars are the adventurous designs or those trying to be different

I think there us something in that.

When people post a 'look at this beauty' pic on Basschat, I more than 50% of the time think 'god that's ugly'.

The remaining ones I do like do tend (as per your other point) to be kind of a classier version of a classic design.

And I find myself wondering when someone posts a photo of a Fender P or J bass (or copy of one whether it be high or low end) which attracts lots of admiring replies, what exactly makes this particular instrument any different, and worthy of special attention, from any of the other hundreds of P or J basses that get posted (or indeed any different to the hundreds of P and J basses hung on the walls of shops waiting to be sold).

I'm sure if it's your P or J bass then it is special to you, but that AFAICS is it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

And I find myself wondering when someone posts a photo of a Fender P or J bass (or copy of one whether it be high or low end) which attracts lots of admiring replies, what exactly makes this particular instrument any different, and worthy of special attention, from any of the other hundreds of P or J basses that get posted (or indeed any different to the hundreds of P and J basses hung on the walls of shops waiting to be sold).

I'm sure if it's your P or J bass then it is special to you, but that AFAICS is it.

I don’t know. What makes any mass produced instrument, car or phone special or interesting?  The quality of instruments coming out of Indonesia, Korea or Mexico these days is generally excellent. Take any £500 bass from say the Cort factory and give it a decent set up and it it will most likely be worthy of praise no matter what is on the headstock. Spent a couple of hundred more and the materials will be better making it even nicer to use and listen to. The shape is down to preference. Some go for a classic look, some for novelty some for something more radical. That’s down to personal taste. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

That's because they are Burns Tri-Sonic pickups (hence the name of the bass). IIRC the guitar and bass versions are exactly the same electronically, just the covers for the guitar version have 6 indentations on the top and bass version have 4.

Ahhh... this explains it. lol 😊 I should more carefully!