Why become a member? ×

Ugly Bass thread

Bobo_08

On 14/09/2021 at 10:08, Hellzero said:

Here are my two original Ibanez AFR from 1991, designed by the late Rolf Spuler, a true luthier and genius.

These are certainly the most beautiful and ergonomic basses ever made.

1371237173_IbanezAFRSisters(1).thumb.jpg.8b1a80ecaa9c7f59c77e581173a4a104.jpg

930463662_IbanezAFRSisters(2).thumb.jpg.b57fa906cf9879558dd7c9bf610f23cf.jpg

Are you sure you know the definition of ugly ?

I do love the idea of having one of these.  I think Amos Williams from Tesseract is grooving one of these now.

This was posted on the Dutch bass forum I frequently attend, and was apparently made for the bass player of a Macca tribute band to cover both his Höfner and his Rickenbacker era. As much as I appreciate the attention to detail on this, I think it looks ugly as all hell! 

Gp6DbEB.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, tegs07 said:

Explains your dislike of Fender!

Yup. Probably. 

I like interesting looking basses, either in natural wood or a colour wash with the grain still showing. 

I can't stand anything brightly painted or Fender shaped. I'm still trying, and failing, to get over the trauma of my first bass. A gloss black Fender clone with action so high you could hang your washing from it. 

• Haha 1

When I see an ugly bass, I can't help think think they aren't following the golden ratio (or the rule of thirds). I'm not a designer/artist myself, but in my understanding this is generally a mathematical relationship that the human mind perceives as pleasing to the eye. 

I'd love to hear an artist's perspective on some of these designs! 

Apparently this is a relationship that also applies to the notes we find pleasing! 

https://guitarinternational.com/2011/09/05/the-golden-ratio-and-the-guitar-a-match-made-in-equal-temperament/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

I think everyone born before 1985 had that bass!

Not me.

When I bought my first bass (A Burns Sonic) in 1981, I did try a couple of the Grant and Columbus P and J copies, but they were harder to play, more expensive, and probably most important of all they looked boring.

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

This was posted on the Dutch bass forum I frequently attend, and was apparently made for the bass player of a Macca tribute band to cover both his Höfner and his Rickenbacker era. As much as I appreciate the attention to detail on this, I think it looks ugly as all hell!

Proves that Ugly + Ugly = 2 x Ugly...

• Haha 1

On 14/09/2021 at 02:06, neepheid said:

There would be no such void.  They would have used something else, it probably would have sounded bassy and we would be having this conversation about something else as we wouldn't have known anything different.  A parallel universe where Gibson got there first?  Sign me up, there might not have been a 9/11 or Covid either :)

Yep, Jamerson and Jaco both would have sounded and looked much better playing Alembics and I would've married a supermodel. Yeah...that's the ticket! 😉

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Not me.

When I bought my first bass (A Burns Sonic) in 1981, I did try a couple of the Grant and Columbus P and J copies, but they were harder to play, more expensive, and probably most important of all they looked boring.

With the P and J shape being so ubiquitous I just think they are what pop into my head when people say bass. Like if you say hatchback car I would think VW Golf and Estate probably a Volvo. Neither offensive or exciting just nicely car shaped! 

When it comes to the sound of a P or J, well othat’s a different matter. If I was looking for a P bass sound I may as well get a P bass.

Edit: The exception to this for me is the Jazz. The looks neither excite nor bore me. It’s a classic shape that is pleasing on the eye, but I have had a couple and find the shape a bit annoying in use. Tempted to sell the one I have now and get a Sandberg J.

Edited by tegs07

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Gp6DbEB.jpg

That's only half as ugly as a full Rickenbacker though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2