Why become a member? ×

Ugly Bass thread

Bobo_08

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Ah. Fear and revulsion triggered by the unfamiliar. It's fine,a nice, safe Precision will be along soon, to make you feel all better.

Yes - I do own an Ibanez EDA900. :)

Hahaha, I love the Bongo shape and even more so the Big Al shape... quite happy to depart from the safe soft curves of the familiar.

28 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Should anyone care about the less charitable end of my opinion, which I doubt very much, then just imagine I've copied and pasted every single natural finish bass that's been posted here in 2021. Not just ugly, but perverse and immoral. Disgusting.

ORgV.gif

brilliant 🤣

42 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I have a lot of love for G&L basses but the Interceptor?

intbass.jpg

Hmm, an acquired taste that not many people acquired, I suspect.

Not the worst, but I see what you mean... for me its the mixture of angles lower down curves above... looks like two different designs if you draw a line across the slightly offset waist.... but it has a trem!!

Edited by Bobo_08
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Hey all,

Browsing around internet whilst sitting on the throne.. as one does, I happened across this Ibanez bass on Anderson's secondhand section.

I know it's subjective.... But man it sure looks like an acquired taste to me.

443437-SH-235-0414 (2).jpeg

They’re hideous, probably somewhat fragile too. Still, didn’t stop me trying to buy the pink one that was in the Gallery a couple years ago!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For my take on the ugly bass just imagine that I have posted photos of every single bass that Fender have ever made.

Not only are they ugly but they are also boring.

Thank you for your restraint and brevity.  While I am not quite as Fender averse as you, the Jazz bass can do one as far as I'm concerned.  While the P bass may be uncharitably described as "agricultural", the Jazz is way worse to my eyes - big, fat, melty lump of a body with a skinny neck, so ungainly looking - I get nothing of the "upscale" model that Fender was going for even back in 1960.  I don't get why they're so revered, I've owned one (when I was figuring out what I wanted from a bass), I've played several and I just don't get it.  I have never seen a Jazz which makes me think "I must have that".  Hard no from me.

True boring = everyone liking the same things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For my take on the ugly bass just imagine that I have posted photos of every single bass that Fender have ever made.

Not only are they ugly but they are also boring.

Yet remove them from the history of recorded music and there is a very, very big void.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

Am amazed - usually by this time in topics like these somebody will have posted a picture of a Danelectro Longhorn, and I’ll be trying to convince them what things of beauty they really are....😄

I have no beef with any Danos - I love their quirky looks and those lipstick pickups.  I had a 3 pickup Hodad back in my bass butterfly days.  The only reason I haven't had a Longhorn is the scale.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Yet remove them from the history of recorded music and there is a very, very big void.

There would be no such void.  They would have used something else, it probably would have sounded bassy and we would be having this conversation about something else as we wouldn't have known anything different.  A parallel universe where Gibson got there first?  Sign me up, there might not have been a 9/11 or Covid either :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

There would be no such void.  They would have used something else, it probably would have sounded bassy and we would be having this conversation about something else as we wouldn't have known anything different.  A parallel universe where Gibson got there first?  Sign me up, there might not have been a 9/11 or Covid either :)

It’s like saying if Henry Ford hadn’t been around there would be no impact on the history of automotive engineering.

Like or loathe them there is no denying that the sound of the P, J, Ray etc are almost ubiquitous.

Edited by tegs07

Here are my two original Ibanez AFR from 1991, designed by the late Rolf Spuler, a true luthier and genius.

These are certainly the most beautiful and ergonomic basses ever made.

1371237173_IbanezAFRSisters(1).thumb.jpg.8b1a80ecaa9c7f59c77e581173a4a104.jpg

930463662_IbanezAFRSisters(2).thumb.jpg.b57fa906cf9879558dd7c9bf610f23cf.jpg

Are you sure you know the definition of ugly ?

Edited by Hellzero
Better photos
  • Like 10