Why become a member? ×

Squier CV 50s bass?

barrycreed

What is the general opinion on the current reissues? 

Always liked the look though if I changed the stock pickup to something hotter it might take away from the intended sound.

Replace pickguard with a transparent one and I think it could look pretty good.

How are the necks on them? More a P or a J profile on the CVs?

25 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

More a P or a J profile on the CVs?

Definitely more P than J.

26 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

if I changed the stock pickup to something hotter it might take away from the intended sound.

Not as much as you'd think . I've a split single wound to 29.9k in one of my builds , by rights it should sound like mud but it doesn't 👍

Split or stacked single will cure any 60 cycle hum .

Im undecided in where the tone sits on mine.

I would have also said more P than J, but my Geddy Lee sig has recalibrated what a J can do in my mind.

The stock pickup isn't the highest output, but has enough punch to sound convincing.  Our vocallist likes it! I too think a quarter pounder maysound nice, but would ruin the character of the tone.

But overall I love mine. Sounds unique, looks fantastic (I have the blonde) and feels great. Never bothered sticking it on the scales because I eat my spinach and it bothers me not, but I'd say just slighly North of middling for weight.

Neck is closer to modern P than J, but not super beefy.

Finish is first class, aside from slight  rough edges to the pickguard on mine, and the nickel hardware is to die for.

I'll be gigging with it Friday, thats how much I like it.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

I wouldn't dream of removing the pickguard or changing the pickup on this one.

Missed out on buying one four or five years ago and I've regretted it ever since.

Big mistake on their part discontinuing the color. Now, used ones are going g for more money than the new ones...and they're worth it.

th.jpeg-235.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

I wouldn't dream of removing the pickguard or changing the pickup on this one.

Missed out on buying one four or five years ago and I've regretted it ever since.

Big mistake on their part discontinuing the color. Now, used ones are going g for more money than the new ones...and they're worth it.

th.jpeg-235.jpg

Yes - I've got one of these - great basses.  Made at the same time / same factory as the highly regarded 60's CV's

IMG_20210913_173527.jpg

• Like 5

I got the vague impression that the current MII CVs have a more shallow neck profile than the CIC ones, but given the amount of very vague stuff I read trying to find out, that could be rubbish. I do know that the Fender website lists all three of CV Ps as having 1 11/16" nut and a "slim C" profile, whatever that is.

Thats interesting. I was playing my CII today after a few days playing my 69 precision and it struck my how - relatively - deep the profile is.

Not a baseball bat by any means, but definitely more of a D feel to it than a C. I quite like it, a beeft feel without actually being genuinely beefy.

Edited by Bassfinger

On 13/09/2021 at 21:22, Bassfinger said:

Thats interesting. I was playing my CII today after a few days playing my 69 precision and it struck my how - relatively - deep the profile is.

Not a baseball bat by any means, but definitely more of a D feel to it than a C. I quite like it, a beeft feel without actually being genuinely beefy.

I have to agree. I prefer beefy necks (my number 1 is a Yamaha Attitude and I used to play a Warwick thumb), but the neck on my 2020 CV 50s P feels quite fat and comfortable, even if Fender call it “slim”. 

• Like 1

The stock pickup on my 2020 50s P is relatively quiet, but it’s not an issue for me as I run a helix as my live “rig”. However, it’s quite a lively and bright pickup as you would expect for a single coil. After a brief dalliance with flats (which I enjoyed, but just don’t work for me and my band’s mix - I have kept them for future use though) I’ve gone with a set of fender nickel plated steel strings. I usually play stainless strings, so these nickels bring the brittleness down to a pleasing level. 

I’ve lined the cavities with shielding tape that has considerable helped reduce the expected single coil noise. I have looked at alternative pickups, even though I don’t need to at the moment, and the Fralin Split 51 definitely appeals - the hum cancelling properties of the traditional split p design in a single coils form, albeit expensive. 

Only other mods I want to do is to get a gold anodised pickguard made, I think it’ll look the poodles plums against the white blonde and beautiful tinted maple neck. I also need to install a Hipshot xtender, however, fender have used a nonstandard tuner design, so there’s not a drop in Hipshot replacement. So I’ll likely install the ultra lite xtender and replace the other runners with ultralites too. 

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

So I have had two, one past and one present. The former was a 2014 (from memory) early model that had a fairly chunky neck and was very lightweight. I used it almost exclusively with another Squier for a good couple of years. It even appears on a professional album and toured extensively. At the time I was going through an anti-expensive kit phase. After a long run of proving that point, I decided it was nice to spend money on things that make you happy and wound up selling it on - something I almost immediately regretted. 

In 2019 I decided to buy a replacement, this time in white blonde. Tonally, I can't really hear a difference (from memory though) but there were a couple of significant differences. Firstly the lacquer on my neck was much darker (which I kind of like). The neck profile was definitely thinner, like a CIJ P-bass rather than total JB. Personally, I go with the flow with neck profiles and I am not someone who insists on any one type - if I practice, I get used to it. The absolute shocker for me was the weight; despite being basswood like the last one, mine was one of the heavier basses I have owned. I know basswood can vary but this was something of an extreme difference. Weight is definitely something I struggle with as 32yrs of playing like Paul Simonon / Peter Hook means my left shoulder isn't great these days with heavier basses. I wound up sourcing a cheap replacement body and swapping out the body on the bass (see below). I left everything else as stock. Despite being up against a US Fender, a Rickenbacker and a Gibson Thunderbird (amongst others) it's made two live appearances over my 5 gigs in the last month and I have taken it to a couple of rehearsals. 

All in all, a very long winded post to say "check the weight" but generally a decent bass. 

1721816789_YellowBass.jpg.d2ddd344bb54a7835e990003898e23c1.jpg

• Like 1

I had an MIC CV50s Precision; the white blonde version. I had taken it in a trade and didn't get much use out of it before selling it on, but my overriding memories of it were that it was well made, nicely finished, played well and had an absolutely enormous neck - definitely one of the fattest necks I've had. The small-handed need not apply. I wasn't keen on the colour of the neck lacquer; it was quite pale compared to the Matt Freeman and CV 60s Precisions I had at the time. I'd quite like one of the MIC butterscotch blonde ones as I like the darker, tinted lacquer. I find that the newer Indonesian CVs are too dark.

• Like 1