Why become a member? ×

Dirty Loops and Cory Wong - Thriller, and look out for the double bell euphonium.............

musicbassman

Sorry but I like the original too much to give this much more than one viewing. Even though it's well executed the constant smugness/smirking irritates the feck out of me. I've watched a few other Dirty Loops vids before out of curiosity and the bass player is always smirking. Moreover, like all other contemporary funk, while the playing is tight lacks the swing/groove of the 70s funk bands that made them so badass.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

It is a bit odd but even though I’m not a big fan of the result it is a neat idea to turn Thriller into a shuffle. The original is hardly 70s swing/groove, though, is it :)

Never said it was. I said 70s funk had swing/groove. Thriller isn't a funk tune by any stretch

Edited by Barking Spiders

Obviously accomplished players.... and I'd be interested in experiencing them live.... but, yet again, I'm left cold by them. Didn't like the groove and why was Cory Wong there? I couldn't particularly hear any contribution from him?

• Like 1

Dirty loops don’t always hit a bullseye with their stuff (but I can’t name a single act I like that does) but when they do I think the results are glorious.

I have listened to the new stuff and wasn’t immediately struck by thriller, but the instrumental funk song above and turn on the light just leave me in awe!

If I played in a band even 1/10 as good as them I would be permanently grinning like a Cheshire Cat, playing good music just does that to me. I played in a 12 piece soul band and when we got it right I basically laughed and smiled song after song and was permanently looking at and bouncing off my band mates. I don’t know why having fun comes off as being smug.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NJE said:

Dirty loops don’t always hit a bullseye with their stuff (but I can’t name a single act I like that does) but when they do I think the results are glorious.

I have listened to the new stuff and wasn’t immediately struck by thriller, but the instrumental funk song above and turn on the light just leave me in awe!

If I played in a band even 1/10 as good as them I would be permanently grinning like a Cheshire Cat, playing good music just does that to me. I played in a 12 piece soul band and when we got it right I basically laughed and smiled song after song and was permanently looking at and bouncing off my band mates. I don’t know why having fun comes off as being smug.

That song Turbo is infinitely better than Thriller with Corey Wong's guitar much more audible, some nice tight drumming and best of all a bang on the money brass section allowed to shine

On 12/09/2021 at 20:00, Linus27 said:

Enjoyed the video but yep, a bit too much cheese in the video. What was with all the lovingly looking at each other throughout 😮

Made even creepier because it looks like the Wong section and the Dirty Loops section were filmed separately.

There's something about Dirty Loops which just doesn't work for me and I'm not sure why. They're incredible musicians but it just won't click.

I've just been listening to more of the album. The playing from the Horn Section is outstanding.

That combination of three Brass and two Woodwinds has all been voiced and arranged so well to give it a punchy, funky, 70's influenced sound.

I also noticed that the section parts were jointly arranged by Cory and (all of) Dirty Loops band. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Made even creepier because it looks like the Wong section and the Dirty Loops section were filmed separately.

There's something about Dirty Loops which just doesn't work for me and I'm not sure why. They're incredible musicians but it just won't click.

I'm pretty much the same but this version of Circus I think is phenomenal.