Why become a member? ×

Back to Berg

spencer.b

I had some berg hd's years ago and foolishly sold em and have been chasing that sound ever since , had Aguilar DBs, SLs, BF , Aero , berg neos etc

On Friday I saw bd had a pair of second hand hd112s and I had a gig south of Birmingham so enroute I played em and bought em trading in my barefaced 210 ( very fair price from Mark) and wow what a difference , punchy low mids , sparkly refined highs , it's like I can hear myself again , the bf was loud and light but I haven't got any other positives for it , the HDs are heavy but it's like night and day for me

• Like 7

I do love Berg cabs they're great!

The BF 210 are deliberately coloured / "retro" I believe, so maybe they were not for you?The mainstream BF cabs are much more transparent and I've certainly had zero issues hearing myself with either my former BF SC or the BF BB2 I currently have. 

I did love my Berg CN 212 and if it had been lighter I'd have held onto it. The Berg 112s don't quite have the power handling I'd be looking for. 

1 hour ago, spencer.b said:

I had some berg hd's years ago and foolishly sold em and have been chasing that sound ever since , had Aguilar DBs, SLs, BF , Aero , berg neos etc

On Friday I saw bd had a pair of second hand hd112s and I had a gig south of Birmingham so enroute I played em and bought em trading in my barefaced 210 ( very fair price from Mark) and wow what a difference , punchy low mids , sparkly refined highs , it's like I can hear myself again , the bf was loud and light but I haven't got any other positives for it , the HDs are heavy but it's like night and day for me

Thanks for that - they were my Bergs. I only dropped them off at Bass Direct on Tuesday, on route to pick up a CN212 in Essex, before spending a night in Southend then driving home the next day! 

I liked the HD112s - they sounded great, but I decided that I really needed a one cab / lightweight option (I also have an old Berg HS410 with ceramic speakers). 

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The BF 210 are deliberately coloured / "retro" I believe, so maybe they were not for you?The mainstream BF cabs are much more transparent and I've certainly had zero issues hearing myself with either my former BF SC or the BF BB2 I currently have. 

I did love my Berg CN 212 and if it had been lighter I'd have held onto it. The Berg 112s don't quite have the power handling I'd be looking for. 

As much as I liked the sound of the HD112s, I did feel that they were slightly underpowered. Personally, I don't find the weight of the CN212 to be a problem - so let's hope that I can get on with the sound of the neo speakers (I generally prefer ceramic speakers but I did have an AE212 for a while, which I liked). 

I've never been that keen on the sound of BF cabs when I have come across them, as technically excellent and incredibly light as they are. Never say never though, none of us are getting any younger...! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Technically you are correct. 😂

Whereas: "My Fearless F112 isn't going anywhere. I love it."

is a flawlessly accurate statement 😁

@peteb if you don't mind the weight of a CN212 which is around 50 lbs, then the Fearless F112 (around 43 lbs) might also be right up your street. Plenty of power handling and a really great cab. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah the bf210 is voiced very differently to the regular bf but I found it had some of the highs completely missing and the real low end a bit uncontrollable and the mids lacking real punch tbf I play clattery old fenders and I don't tend to get on with ported particularly rear ported cabs , I was impressed with a super compact BF I borrowed but I'm not really looking for transparent with my basses but it sounded killer with a modern 5 string

• Like 1

I believe that the CN212 weighs 46lbs (compared to 44lbs for each HD112). I was originally looking for a HDN212, which is slightly louder and supposedly voiced more like the ceramic version (although Mark at Bass Direct reckons that there isn't that much difference in sound). However, I've just gone and got 20 plus gigs in the diary, most of which are long drives away, so I wanted a lighter weight option as soon as possible to save having to lug heavier cabs around when I get home at 2 o'clock in the morning. 

Unlike some, I'm not really that keen on chopping and changing gear too much (famous last words, I know). I'm happy and know what to expect with the Berg gear, so I'm not looking to change anytime soon. 

In other news, I've just booked a session with a personal trainer with the intention pf going back to the gym after a long layoff with lockdown and an injury. Hopefully, I should soon be able to manage the CN212 easily enough at the end of the night...! 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peteb said:

I believe that the CN212 weighs 46lbs (compared to 44lbs for each HD112). I was originally looking for a HDN212, which is slightly louder and supposedly voiced more like the ceramic version (although Mark at Bass Direct reckons that there isn't that much difference in sound). However, I've just gone and got 20 plus gigs in the diary, most of which are long drives away, so I wanted a lighter weight option as soon as possible to save having to lug heavier cabs around when I get home at 2 o'clock in the morning. 

Unlike some, I'm not really that keen on chopping and changing gear too much (famous last words, I know). I'm happy and know what to expect with the Berg gear, so I'm not looking to change anytime soon. 

In other news, I've just booked a session with a personal trainer with the intention pf going back to the gym after a long layoff with lockdown and an injury. Hopefully, I should soon be able to manage the CN212 easily enough at the end of the night...! 🙂 

You're right that the official weight of the CN 212 is 46 lbs, but I recall mine being a little heavier - and I suspect they may vary a bit from cab to cab. Good stuff about the personal trainer, Pete!

@bassfan if you get a chance to put yours on the scales, mate, be good to get another 'actual' weight taken.

Oh and there's a lot of wisdom in sticking to gear that you know works well. If it ain't broke why fix it? Having said that, it's always fun to try something new - particularly if you can get it used and not take too much of a hit if you decide to move it on.

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

You're right that the official weight of the CN 212 is 46 lbs, but I recall mine being a little heavier - and I suspect they may vary a bit from cab to cab. Good stuff about the personal trainer, Pete!

@bassfan if you get a chance to put yours on the scales, mate, be good to get another 'actual' weight taken.

Remind me Wednesday.  I’m away at the minute. I’ll try and get it on some scales. It’s not overly heavy. 

I felt similar when I moved my BF410 & 210 on for Ashdown ABM cabs, I had the depth & punch back that I wanted, albeit in heavier less easy to cart about format. The BFs were good though, just weren’t what I needed at the time, my fault, I chose badly.

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

13 hours ago, bassfan said:

Remind me Wednesday.  I’m away at the minute. I’ll try and get it on some scales. It’s not overly heavy. 

The CN212 doesn't seem any heavier at all than a single HD112. I also find the 212 cab easier to lift than the smaller 112 format. 

Edited by peteb

The first Bergantino cabs I bought new untried were HT112ER and EX112ER from BD. Initially I was underwhelmed at a low volume practice session but at gig volume the depth and clarity of notes was a revelation. Next I  bought a pair of neo AE112 cabs and seduced by their light weight retired the HT112ER and EX112ER to the under stairs cupboard. A couple of years on I bought a pair of Berg HD210 cabs and decided to sell my HT/EX as they weren't being used. However, firing up the HT/EX one last time I was amazed at how different they were to the AEs; seemingly deeper bass but with more control. The AEs were sold instead.

I can't think of any scientific reason why my ceramic loaded cabs should have this extra "heft"; is the extra mass of the heavy ceramic magnet providing a more stable base for the driver/motor and less energy lost through cabinet vibration?

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 18:02, spencer.b said:

Oh so it was YOU that pipped me to the post then! :) Congratulations, I have a pair here and wanted to get one more. I love the HD's!!!

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 19:27, peteb said:

I liked the HD112s - they sounded great, but I decided that I really needed a one cab / lightweight option (I also have an old Berg HS410 with ceramic speakers). 

I've got an old HS410, that I got from Bass Direct before Mark had the shop. I don't gig it much anymore because its heavy, and I keep thinking that I should get rid of it for something more lightweight, but it just sounds so much better than any other cab I've ever played. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I've got an old HS410, that I got from Bass Direct before Mark had the shop. I don't gig it much anymore because its heavy, and I keep thinking that I should get rid of it for something more lightweight, but it just sounds so much better than any other cab I've ever played. 

I still gig the HS410, but I do want a lightweight option for certain gigs. TBF, the HS is lighter than most 410 cabs that I have owned over the years. I'm certainly keeping it, as you say, it's the best cab I've ever used! 

8 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I think exactly the same about my pair of HD210 cabs. Most of my gigs only require one HD210 but the pair are as good as it gets for me. 

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

I still gig the HS410, but I do want a lightweight option for certain gigs. TBF, the HS is lighter than most 410 cabs that I have owned over the years. I'm certainly keeping it, as you say, it's the best cab I've ever used! 

See if you can find a ceramic Bergantino 210; much lighter than a 410 and amazing performance. 

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

See if you can find a ceramic Bergantino 210; much lighter than a 410 and amazing performance. 

I'm sure that you're right, but I'm quite happy to take the HS410 to the bigger gigs and use the lighter CN212 for others (or where there are logistical issues). It may be a compromise, but it is hardly a terrible one...! 

• Like 1

I’ve had a pair of 112EXs, an AE212 and I still have the active ip112 with an extension cab. I kept the ip because it was more focused around the midrange. But in comparison to a lot of other things, it is still room filling bass notes, way beyond what I get with a lightweight rig. It is a defined sound, yet very warm. Great stuff, even if a bit heavy by today’s  standards.

• Like 2

I had three AE112s, which I loved (with the tweeters off), but FONBLE* meant that, rather than take one or two most places, I'd always take all three, which meant 90lbs+ of cabs, even in three lumps, so I moved them on.

* Fear Of Not Being Loud Enough...it's a turrible thing...

Edited by Muzz