Why become a member? ×

Fender 51 RI Advice

lowlandtrees

Got some GAS for one of the above. Any advice? Seems that there are a few people taking Squier Classic Vibes and stripping them down and reselling at what appears to be 3 times the purchase price? What should I go for and how much should I pay?

The most important bass thing for me up till the present has been sound (ACG owner)…but…I have been seduced by how damned beautiful this bass looks, particularly the relic butterscotch with black pick guard. However if someone tells me that they look better than they sound I’ll reconsider.

They’re great basses, still sound Precisiony but not quite so mid-biased. I’ve had a few but as I just use regular Precisions I always move them on as the sound Isn’t what I want for my bands. I still keep thinking of getting another, in the classic butterscotch but as they’re pretty rare they’re about a grand now.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

They’re great basses, still sound Precisiony but not quite so mid-biased. I’ve had a few but as I just use regular Precisions I always move them on as the sound Isn’t what I want for my bands. I still keep thinking of getting another, in the classic butterscotch but as they’re pretty rare they’re about a grand now.

So they kinda disappear in the mix?

I love my single coil P-basses , so much I ended up with few.

1444732800_TeleBasses.thumb.JPG.9140f65bf06df2b0d1c5059023da1a0c.JPG

Some other variations on the theme.

DSC_0922.thumb.JPG.6c656a4faaae4f7c3ba1e8d22b13743c.JPGDSC_0018.thumb.JPG.a5f5d4303abcbcc1d9bd4c138a8ec0b6.JPG1361409178_PB110095(2).thumb.JPG.e02a8b03dcfee2e133b907e16a6dfd24.JPG

@lowlandtrees

I would suggest you try and play one first . If the tone is not for you then it's game over ; I tried plenty of different pickups/caps in  the builds , no matter the magnet type/ wire count it doesn't alter the character by much.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lowlandtrees said:

So they kinda disappear in the mix?

No def not, just sit differently that’s all, like all instruments they need eq-ing differently to others, and though they share the same name these need a different eq to regular Precisions.

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

DSC_0922.thumb.JPG.6c656a4faaae4f7c3ba1e8d22b13743c.JPGDSC_0018.thumb.JPG.a5f5d4303abcbcc1d9bd4c138a8ec0b6.JPG1361409178_PB110095(2).thumb.JPG.e02a8b03dcfee2e133b907e16a6dfd24.JPG

@lowlandtrees

I would suggest you try and play one first . If the tone is not for you then it's game over ; I tried plenty of different pickups/caps in  the builds , no matter the magnet type/ wire count it doesn't alter the character by much.

That’s my intention…..incidentally I live in Falkirk…

• Like 1

It is worth considering upgrading the PUP to retain the vintage '51 tone and hum cancelling. I have used PUPs from Jess Loureiro and Lindy Fralin.

Jess Loureiro Hand Wound Pickups (jlguitars.com)

Fralin Pickups - Boutique, Hand-Made Guitar and Bass Pickups

The Jess Loureiro is very authentic but with added versatility. It offers a range of tones from typical '51 P to '62 P. It is 4 wire so can be wired in series or parallel or with a simple switch you have the option of both.

The Lindy Fralin Split '51 is virtually identical to the original Fender '51 P (with raised pole pieces)  but with extra clarity. I purchased the PUP that was "5% over wound"  and it is fantastic.

Both the above are hand wound and need to be paired with a tone cap value that suits your desired taste but @KiOgon will be able to help with the right loom and cap value.

Edited by JohnDaBass
grammar

As a fellow ACG addict I can say that I have just got the bug too although mine is a reliced faker.  Different to your std P bass and almost the complete antithesis of an ACG filter preamped bass, there is just something about them that I really like but find hard to put my finger on.  If you're a finger style peep then finding somewhere for your thumb is trickier but not impossible.

If you're anywhere near me you are welcome to come and try it out btw.

Edited by ead

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

The Squier CV is the '54 body shape, so wouldn't look terribly convincing as a '51.

They're  great instruments  in their ownnright that punch well above their price point, so well worth a test play.

There’s a nice looking relic CV on eBay but it’s 1250. Seems overpriced but it sho is pretty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

As a fellow ACG addict I can say that I have just got the bug too although mine is a reliced faker.  Different to your std P bass and almost the complete antithesis of an ACG filter preamped bass, there is just something about them that I really like but find hard to put my finger on.  If you're a finger style peep then finding somewhere for your thumb is trickier but not impossible.

If you're anywhere near me you are welcome to come and try it out btw.

Yes…I like the ACG but as you allude to…the filter pre takes up 85% of your brain to work out…I’ve had it 6 months and still fiddling. Don’t want to ditch it but fancy something simple.

• Like 1

The shape bothered me as the edges can be uncomfortable after a while so I've had two built by Warmoth in the past in the '54 style shape like the Fender Sting model

As far as pickups go, my favourite two have been the Lollar one and the Seymour Duncan Stack that is/was used by Sting and Dusty Hill

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

The shape bothered me as the edges can be uncomfortable after a while so I've had two built by Warmoth in the past in the '54 style shape like the Fender Sting model

As far as pickups go, my favourite two have been the Lollar one and the Seymour Duncan Stack that is/was used by Sting and Dusty Hill

Me too.  Mine is one of the transition bodies with the body carved like the revised 57 P bass with the split coil p/up.  Mine also has the Lollar SC p/up in it.  I have been  looking at the SD stack as it sounds interesting!

On 12/09/2021 at 13:52, kodiakblair said:

@lowlandtrees

Hold on! The blue one....what is THAT! Stunner!

23 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Where did you buy the "Stinger" stacked single ?

When I looked into buying one , Duncan's custom shop had a "no European sales" policy.

They come up on ebay from time to time.  In fact I nearly bought one that was listed a few weeks ago despite not actually having a suitable bass to put it in

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, merello said:

Hold on! The blue one....what is THAT! Stunner!

My handiwork.

Pale blue in the centre is a refinished Harley Benton , 2 saddle/through body bridge and Jess Loureiro split single.

Far right blue stain is my southern yellow pine slab . Again 2 saddle/through body bridge. Custom wound split single + a Noll preamp .

• Like 1