Why become a member? ×

Ryan Martinie switches to Fodera

Graham

21 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Quite an unusual change of look for Durst.

In one way it's probably a good idea that he doesn't want to look like an angry twenty something anymore, but on the other he's jumped a generation and gone straight to ancient X-factor entrant who should know better.

There's quite a difference between looking old and cool like Sam Elliott, and just looking old.

I think it's partly a joke/clever move to attract attention and show their fans of similar age that the Dad thing is cool.

I personally think he looks better....I never liked that daft semi hip hop thing he tried hahahah.

On 13/09/2021 at 14:07, Sibob said:

another Nu-Metal stable switching away from Warwick seems to be Sam Rivers from Limp Bizkit

Who's he gone with, out of interest?

22 hours ago, fretmeister said:

There's quite a difference between looking old and cool like Sam Elliott, and just looking old.

Yes. I know. ¬¬

• Haha 1

I've just seen that Fodera have listed the Ryan Martinie bass as available to order on their site. It list for $11,700 which is obviously very expensive, but cheaper than I was expecting with that laminated top.

Looking at the options on the bass (bolt on, Hipshot bridge, EMG pickups), I'm pretty sure they'll release a Ryan Martinie standard model with a painted Ying Yang-ish top sometime next year which would probably retail at around $6-7k. Still pricy but if anything cheaper than Warwick custom shop. Could be a smart move by Fodera to try to drum up some new business from the rock and metal fraternity - imagine how Wals Tool/Flea fans would have bought if the supply had kept pace with the demand.

I do expect that they'll bring out a painted standard model. Unfortunately, I find those painted tops on the Yin Yang basses to look quite naff. At least on the proper Yin Yang you can see that's it's two slices of wood matched together, even if the ebony facing is quite uniform and black. The painted section never looks quite genuine to me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 12:32, eude said:

Wow! Seriously!?

I know they'd topped €10,000 but that is a crazy jump!

I remember buying Thumb BO 5er in the late 90's for £1300, hand made in Germany, roughly the same thing now would be £3700!

They are incredible instruments, and I'll bet their custom stuff is out of this world, but again, wow!

Eude

I've got a Fodera on order right now (due for completion early in the new year) and before I pulled the trigger I looked at what it would cost to spec something v. close with Warwick......and it wound up costing more than 2K more....

Ben

1 hour ago, funkypenguin said:

I've got a Fodera on order right now (due for completion early in the new year) and before I pulled the trigger I looked at what it would cost to spec something v. close with Warwick......and it wound up costing more than 2K more....

Ben

Wow, I guess these things are worth whatever people are willing to pay.
What specs have you gone for on your Fodera?

Eude

2 hours ago, eude said:

Wow, I guess these things are worth whatever people are willing to pay.
What specs have you gone for on your Fodera?

Eude

I love Warwick, I've used mine for 10 years and its a bass I'll never part with, but seeing the quote from them for something that would have relatively minor alterations really surprised me.

Heres the spec for my Fodera

Monarch 6 string Elite

32" scale

26 frets

16.5mm spacing

walnut body, alder tone block

3 piece white oak neck, thin profile

ebony board (side dots only)

solid flame koa top, matching peghead

Duncan dual coils

custom shop preamp

Garrison control layout and pickup spacing

Ebony ramp and pickup covers

black hardware

Ben

10 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

I love Warwick, I've used mine for 10 years and its a bass I'll never part with, but seeing the quote from them for something that would have relatively minor alterations really surprised me.

Heres the spec for my Fodera

Monarch 6 string Elite

32" scale

26 frets

16.5mm spacing

walnut body, alder tone block

3 piece white oak neck, thin profile

ebony board (side dots only)

solid flame koa top, matching peghead

Duncan dual coils

custom shop preamp

Garrison control layout and pickup spacing

Ebony ramp and pickup covers

black hardware

Ben

Oh wow, that's a really cool spec.
Love to see more and more shorter 6 string basses out there too.
Since I moved to 31.5" I've never looked back.

I hope you share a lot of pics etcs when it finally lands!

Cheers,
Eude

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eude said:

Oh wow, that's a really cool spec.
Love to see more and more shorter 6 string basses out there too.
Since I moved to 31.5" I've never looked back.

I hope you share a lot of pics etcs when it finally lands!

Cheers,
Eude

Thanks, I'm really excited for her to arrive so I can start getting to know her! A lot of stars unexpectedly aligned to make this build possible, and I've got very high hopes!

It'll be sometime between Jan and March, depending on Fodera's build schedule, and yes, I'll be sharing pictures and some sound clips once she's here!

Ben

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

Thanks, I'm really excited for her to arrive so I can start getting to know her! A lot of stars unexpectedly aligned to make this build possible, and I've got very high hopes!

It'll be sometime between Jan and March, depending on Fodera's build schedule, and yes, I'll be sharing pictures and some sound clips once she's here!

Ben

What a great specification - I’m excited to see this when it’s ready.

I have a relatively similarish Fodera myself - a 33” scale Emperor 6 Elite and the B is thunderous - I was a little nervous about buying a 33” scale initially considering the B but it’s amazing …I’d really like to play the Tony Grey 6 which is 30.75” scale to see how good the B is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebassist said:

What a great specification - I’m excited to see this when it’s ready.

I have a relatively similarish Fodera myself - a 33” scale Emperor 6 Elite and the B is thunderous - I was a little nervous about buying a 33” scale initially considering the B but it’s amazing …I’d really like to play the Tony Grey 6 which is 30.75” scale to see how good the B is.

I've played one other shorter scale Fodera and the B was indeed thunderous :) Having listened to Tony playing his new headless, the B seems pretty rock solid to me! 

Only a few months left to wait!!

Ben