Why become a member? ×

Ryan Martinie switches to Fodera

Graham

Mudvayne had their first reunion shows last night and their bassist Ryan Martinie who's been synonymous with a Warwick Thumb for pretty much all his career has switched over to Fodera. The Warwick Facebook groups are aghast.

Clearly inspired by a Thumb, based on the pickup placement, but some Yin-Yang influence there too.

Personally I don't love the pickguard, but it looks like a great instrument and he must be very happy with it if he's moved away from Warwick after all these years. On what little, low quality footage I found, it just sounded like Ryan, but I'm eager to hear a proper recording.

FB_IMG_1631438593907.jpg

I'm guessing that they will sound decent, probably not as good as the Thumb but with a reasonable weight saving for his back! 

Mind you, listening to this, Jesus christ. There isn't much to say kf the bass tone due to the poor recording but the band sounds a little sloppy. What really struck me is how bad Chad sounds after all these years. His performance is all over the place and Greg's microphone has very obviously been turned right up to compensate. 

• Like 2

Interesting. Soften the Glare uploaded a new music video on Thursday which is basically just Ryan goofing around in his garage in front of a green screen, he is using a Thumb there.  

The move to Fodera is an unusual one and certainly not one I saw coming, I guess he had been keeping these Foderas a secret until the reunion shows. Very hard to tell what the sound is like as the show footage is so bad, but I'd be surprised if it had the growl of a Thumb, however the double slanted J bars will get a good sound regardless, in my opinion it is the best pickup combo / placement going.

Also, I'm in agreement with Chris above, Chad's voice is blown out, he loses his place in the second verse, doesn't keep the mic close to his face when he is singing and sounds out of breath. Should have worked on his cardio to combat the last point, but when your voice is done, it's done so there's nothing to be done there.

7 hours ago, Graham said:

Mudvayne had their first reunion shows last night and their bassist Ryan Martinie who's been synonymous with a Warwick Thumb for pretty much all his career has switched over to Fodera. The Warwick Facebook groups are aghast.

Clearly inspired by a Thumb, based on the pickup placement, but some Yin-Yang influence there too.

Personally I don't love the pickguard, but it looks like a great instrument and he must be very happy with it if he's moved away from Warwick after all these years. On what little, low quality footage I found, it just sounded like Ryan, but I'm eager to hear a proper recording.

FB_IMG_1631438593907.jpg

The one on the right looks pants, I don't mind the one on the left though.

Those basses are always going to sound like Ryan, because of his playing style and the fact the pickup placement is identical to the Thumb Bass.

I think it's a bit of a shame though, I've always loved the look and the sound of Thumb Basses, and I think they look way cooler than those Foderas.

I wonder what amp he's using with it, he's used Warwick amps forever too...

Eude

Ryan will always sound the way he has, because he's the one in charge. I imagine there was little to no 'tone' compromise in the change-over, because he's in charge of that. I imagine the change was largely down to people and relationships.

On a similar note, another Nu-Metal stable switching away from Warwick seems to be Sam Rivers from Limp Bizkit, and quite frankly, they're a band that has at the least retained how good they were, if not gotten better:

Si

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Ryan will always sound the way he has, because he's the one in charge. I imagine there was little to no 'tone' compromise in the change-over, because he's in charge of that. I imagine the change was largely down to people and relationships.

On a similar note, another Nu-Metal stable switching away from Warwick seems to be Sam Rivers from Limp Bizkit, and quite frankly, they're a band that has at the least retained how good they were, if not gotten better:

Si

I watched that whole gig the other day and really enjoyed it!
I've always rated We Borland, and Durst has still totally got it.

I believe the main reason for Sam Rivers changing basses is the weight, he's not in great shape physically from what I've heard, his back really can't handle a weight of a Warwick these days.

Still sounds like him too.

Eude

24 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Didn't Sam Rivers have a kidney transplant or something?

Glad to see he's able to get back in the saddle after that.

He seemingly had liver disease from excessive drinking, but was able to receive a liver transplant.

2 hours ago, eude said:

I watched that whole gig the other day and really enjoyed it!
I've always rated We Borland, and Durst has still totally got it.

I believe the main reason for Sam Rivers changing basses is the weight, he's not in great shape physically from what I've heard, his back really can't handle a weight of a Warwick these days.

Still sounds like him too.

Eude

Yeah, I watched/listened to it all today and throughly enjoyed it, the whole band sounded great, even without John Otto on drums. 

Si

Hi Hans

im after a new bass for a reunion show

love Ryan

Hi Ryan, of course your signature Warwick will cost €xx,xxx each, and as a long term user we will of course do our usual discount of 50%. Shall we fire up the CNC machines and get going?

H

Hi Hans 

each?! Even with your discount that’s more than a bloody Fodera… actually take a rain check, I’ve a feeling they will cost less

Ryan

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Hi Hans

im after a new bass for a reunion show

love Ryan

Hi Ryan, of course your signature Warwick will cost €xx,xxx each, and as a long term user we will of course do our usual discount of 50%. Shall we fire up the CNC machines and get going?

H

Hi Hans 

each?! Even with your discount that’s more than a bloody Fodera… actually take a rain check, I’ve a feeling they will cost less

Ryan

Warwick's custom prices are now seriously silly, but, they're not quite Fodera silly, yet :) 

I guess if folks are willing to pay though, they will charge what they want.

If I won lottery money, I'd certainly give Hans P Wilfer a call about a short scale 6 string Dolphin...

Eude

19 hours ago, Sibob said:

Si

Thanks for posting that, Fred on form with rest of the band. I honestly didn't recognise him without a red baseball cap.

• Like 1

Quite an unusual change of look for Durst.

In one way it's probably a good idea that he doesn't want to look like an angry twenty something anymore, but on the other he's jumped a generation and gone straight to ancient X-factor entrant who should know better.

There's quite a difference between looking old and cool like Sam Elliott, and just looking old.

3 hours ago, eude said:

Warwick's custom prices are now seriously silly, but, they're not quite Fodera silly, yet :) 

Guess again. 16k-26k euro is what I have seen.

Besides that the Fodera no doubt has a more responsive and warmer sounding character than any Warwick will ever have.

I do play Warwicks and they have their place but are no competition for Fodera.

33 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Besides that the Fodera no doubt has a more responsive and warmer sounding character than any Warwick will ever have.

Wow! Seriously!?

I know they'd topped €10,000 but that is a crazy jump!

I remember buying Thumb BO 5er in the late 90's for £1300, hand made in Germany, roughly the same thing now would be £3700!

They are incredible instruments, and I'll bet their custom stuff is out of this world, but again, wow!

Eude

3 hours ago, eude said:

Wow! Seriously!?

I know they'd topped €10,000 but that is a crazy jump!

I remember buying Thumb BO 5er in the late 90's for £1300, hand made in Germany, roughly the same thing now would be £3700!

They are incredible instruments, and I'll bet their custom stuff is out of this world, but again, wow!

Eude

3 hours ago, DiMarco said:

16k Euros would be a fairly high spec model, and would include all the import taxes duties into the EU/UK. The Thomann UK site has custom 5 strings generally between £10-11k. However, these basses are essentially Ying Yang models (albeit slightly altered) and there is a massive upcharge for that (it's the only thing on the Fodera pricelist which is POA), so I reckon 16-26k for these basses would not be far off. And he got two of them. 

I know some people won't believe me but they do not give away basses to endorsees. I heard that Victor Wooten once got a free bass, but endorsees typically wouldn't get more than 10% off.

12 minutes ago, Belka said:

I know some people won't believe me but they do not give away basses to endorsees. I heard that Victor Wooten once got a free bass, but endorsees typically wouldn't get more than 10% off.

I'm glad to hear this to be honest, if a player has to pay for an instrument, then you can be confident that they actually "endorse" the brand, rather than just selling out for free stuff.

It's easy, or easier, for factory line bass manufacturers to give stuff away, as the cost to them is nothing compared to investment, time and effort that goes into a handmade instrument.

Eude

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Quite an unusual change of look for Durst.

In one way it's probably a good idea that he doesn't want to look like an angry twenty something anymore, but on the other he's jumped a generation and gone straight to ancient X-factor entrant who should know better.

There's quite a difference between looking old and cool like Sam Elliott, and just looking old.

I mean, bear in mind he’s wearing a costume for the humour of it haha. Other gigs on he tour he looks quite different I believe.

Si