Why become a member? ×

I want a wildcat scream.

NewUser

On 11/09/2021 at 18:02, dannybuoy said:

Another option, not cheap or easy to find, but throwing it out there. The Wilson Freaker wah drops the volume right off when back at the heel. Run that with a distortion in a parallel chain and you can just step on it to do your thing. Sounds great on bass, I’m thinking of buying one again!

Sorry to be so ignorant but here comes a stupid question. 

"Run that with a distortion in a parallel chain"

Would I have to tap on distortion-then press the freaker to get my roar, then step back on distortion to turn it off and get back into clean? Or, does a parallel chain tell the freaker to only pull in the distortion when the freaker is engaged? If so how does that parrell chain set up look?

55 minutes ago, NewUser said:

Can the weeping demon be set up so that I play clean, then when I press down the weeping demon both distortion and wah come in, when released I'm back in clean? If so how. Please go easy on me, I'm very new to this.

The distortion wouldn't come from the Demon,  so you'd have to trigger that separately if you want to play clean when not screaming. Put your drive/fuzz right next to the wah and practice your tap dancing 😆

I should point out that the Demon has both guitar and bass settings - to get the scream, leave it in guitar mode and crank the low EQ on the pedal to avoid losing your low end.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

The distortion wouldn't come from the Demon,  so you'd have to trigger that separately if you want to play clean when not screaming. Put your drive/fuzz right next to the wah and practice your tap dancing 😆

I should point out that the Demon has both guitar and bass settings - to get the scream, leave it in guitar mode and crank the low EQ on the pedal to avoid losing your low end.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/g_lab_tbwp_true_bypass_wah_pad.htm

If I put the Demon on a G lab with distortion I could avoid tap dancing right?

2 hours ago, NewUser said:

Thanks for your information. The xerograph is interesting and expensive, would a used MXR M188 Bass Auto Q be a suitable cheaper alternative?

Expression pedals are something I've been trying to research, I like the function of the Morley fx blender and I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative. 

Expression pedal is just a knob that you operate with your foot. You can only use it as an external controller, for pedals that are designed to be used this way. 

I assumed you want to control the sound of the "scream" opening up with your foot. For this you need either a wah pedal, or a filter pedal with expression input/mode.

The most common "filter" pedal that will do this is an envelope filter. AKA auto-wah. The wah sound is triggered every time you play a note.

The auto Q is an envelope filter but it doesn't have external expression functionality.

The xerograph (non-deluxe version) is an interesting beast because its a fixed filter. You sweep the frequency either with the knob or an expression pedal. The neat thing about this unit is that you can set the resonance right on the edge of crazy feedback/self oscillation. You could get some wild scream effects going on!

• Thanks 1

I don't know of the Demon would be too big to fit on the G-Lab.

Regarding the Freaker, for it to work well it would need to 100% shut off the signal at the heel end (I'm not sure if a tiny bit still comes through), and then to use something like a Boss LS-2 to split and mix 2 parallel chains, chain A being your regular bass and B having the wah+distortion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I don't know of the Demon would be too big to fit on the G-Lab.

Good point. You could use any standard-size wah. And more or less any fuzz given that you'll be maxing it out... I'm assuming we're in "special effects" territory here, rather than seeking a solid bass tone...

G-lab + cheap wah + any nasty fuzz is a neat solution to what the OP wants to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewUser said:

I just watched a YouTube video on the Boss LS-2

I would need to engage the Boss LS-2 before using the expression pedal and then disengage it after use of the expression, right?

Maybe not if using a Freaker and the volume is shut off when the pedal is in the heel position. The loop could be always on. But in reality you would probably have a bit noise still bleeding through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewUser said:

I may have found some things

https://reverb.com/item/16695999-electro-harmonix-ehx-dual-output-expression-guitar-effects-pedal-trs-cables

Electro-Harmonix EHX Dual Expression Pedal (would have to add distortion and possibly MXR M120 Auto Q Wah)

Or this as is

I love the talking setting - East St Louis Toodle-oo!

• Like 1

I found a good deal on a Weeping Demon and I'm tempted to get it just to have a new toy, if someone here could please tell me how to fix it? I don't know what part it needs or where to get it? Might even try to repaint it, it's rough scratches are another reason for its reduced price. 

https://reverb.com/p/ibanez-wd7-weeping-demon/used

I finally bought something.

https://reverb.com/item/42059642-morley-wvo-optical-wah-volume-vintage-tel-ray

I don't think I'm ever going to get it to fade blend distortion in the way I was aiming for, but after all the stuff I've seen and heard, I want that sound. Also got a cheap distortion pedal to go with it. JOYO jf-12 Voodoo Octave Divider and Fuzz

4 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Careful before you plug that in, if it's a 110V US version you'll need a step down transformer.

How will I know and is there a recommend transformer?

The link to the sold Morley is the one I bought, actually photos of it inside and out. 

Would you please take a quick look?

Another way to crack this walnut: get an HX Stomp and an expression pedal. You could set it up so that the pedal controls the wah frequency and clean/FX blend simultaneously. And you get to take your pick of wah models, fuzz models and whatever else you want to put in the chain. 

• Thanks 1