Why become a member? ×

I want a wildcat scream.

NewUser

6 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Not a serious suggestion above, just fitting in with the theme!

What about a wah pedal? That’s the only thing I can think of that could come anywhere close to what you’re describing.

The wah would need to be set so as I played clean, fuzz didn't kick in until i stepped on in.

3 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

The Morely looks ideal, or the Xotic X-Blender might work. A treadle seems more practical than a foot-able knob though!

You may have the most success with a digital unit where an expression pedal can be set to affect numerous parameters so that blend and gain (amongst other things) can be altered together. Something from the  Line 6 Helix range or possibly Source Audio may be worth looking at.

Thank you, I just watched a video of the Xotic X-Blender. I welcome any product recommendations, there is so much stuff out there and I have little to no experience.

A blender will just let you cross-fade between wet and dry... But if you just put a distortion or something in there I'm not convinced you'll find what you're looking for.

A wah pedal into or after a distortion/fuzz pedal though... Check 37 seconds in here:

(And cheeky plug, I have a Hotone Bass Press in the classifieds that'll do the job admirably!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewUser said:

The wah would need to be set so as I played clean, fuzz didn't kick in until i stepped on in.

Ok, a G-Lab true bypass wah pad is a pressure sensitive FX loop... Stick a wah on top of the platform but also a distortion through that loop and Bob's your uncle.

Or a Source Audio Manta, Spectrum or C4, or EHX Enigma can be set up as a one-press envelope filter with built in distortion.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

A blender will just let you cross-fade between wet and dry... But if you just put a distortion or something in there I'm not convinced you'll find what you're looking for.

A wah pedal into or after a distortion/fuzz pedal though... Check 37 seconds in here:

(And cheeky plug, I have a Hotone Bass Press in the classifieds that'll do the job admirably!)

Wholly WOW!

Another option, not cheap or easy to find, but throwing it out there. The Wilson Freaker wah drops the volume right off when back at the heel. Run that with a distortion in a parallel chain and you can just step on it to do your thing. Sounds great on bass, I’m thinking of buying one again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Another option, not cheap or easy to find, but throwing it out there. The Wilson Freaker wah drops the volume right off when back at the heel. Run that with a distortion in a parallel chain and you can just step on it to do your thing. Sounds great on bass, I’m thinking of buying one again!

Great, thanks!!

https://reverb.com/item/10066478-wilson-effects-freaker-wah-v2?rollup=true

There are a few on reverb but they are version 2

Same? Better, or not as good?

My current gear, I have a Traben array limited, all stock no upgrades or mods.

A Valeton Bass Guitar Amplifier Head TAR-20B connected to a Eminence Legend BP102-4 10" 4ohm 200W Bass Speaker.

I also have a Digitech RP1 that I picked up for 20 bucks, old and was fun and learned a little about what effects make what sounds and basic EQ and such but this thing is older than I am and was meant for guitar so I'm ready to transition into some bass stuff.

So far from the leads I got from this thread I really like the sounds and mechanics of the Soundblox 2 MANTA Bass Filter that product ventured me into the Soundblox 2 OFD Bass micro Modeler. I'm leaning heavily towards getting those both.

The The Wilson Freaker wah is very interesting, I'm considering it. A Morley FX Blender is interesting too and are not so easy to find, I'm highly considering getting one before they are gone.

Later on to build my clean sound a bit better, I would like some Chorus, Delay, EQ and a Compressor Pedal. Might go with these, but this is later down the road.

Caline DCP-03 Devilfish Chorus + Delay Pedal 2 Pedals in 1!

https://reverb.com/item/37447680-caline-dcp-03-devilfish-chorus-delay-pedal-2-pedals-in-1

NEW Caline CP-45 Pressure Point Bass Compressor Pedal

https://reverb.com/item/26034901-new-caline-cp-45-pressure-point-bass-compressor-pedal

Caline CP-73 Bass EQ Pedal

https://reverb.com/item/34979012-caline-cp-73-bass-eq-pedal

The guitarist in an old old band used to do this thing where he kicked in a patch of his multifx unit and leaned on the whammy while moving into the speaker and expression pedal. Sounded like a jet winding up for take off. It was ''everything on 11'' in your face but nothing fancy, some combo of chorus flanged distortion with feedback and the whammy. Might work on bass but I pity your speaker. HPF for sure.

8 hours ago, NewUser said:

Great, thanks!!

https://reverb.com/item/10066478-wilson-effects-freaker-wah-v2?rollup=true

There are a few on reverb but they are version 2

Same? Better, or not as good?

V2 has a switch where you can disable the volume drop at the heel end, resulting in a low pitched rumble instead. They make a mini version too. I had the V1 many years ago!

A Whammy is another option, totally different effect but on the divebomb setting it can go from a low pitched rattle up to a piercing scream, it’s a lot of fun!

Looks like that particular wah already has switchless activation:

https://www.morleyproducts.com/2020-power-fuzz-wah/

• Switchless Wah activation, simply step on to activate and step off to bypass.

Checked out a demo though and it looks like the fuzz was not activated in the same way though and always on when engaged.

Edited by dannybuoy

On 15/09/2021 at 08:54, Cosmo Valdemar said:

So, Cliff Burton then 😆

The best wah pedal I've found for that scream is the Ibanez Weeping Demon - a regular bass wah isn't going to manage it. Use lots of Muff as well.

Can the weeping demon be set up so that I play clean, then when I press down the weeping demon both distortion and wah come in, when released I'm back in clean? If so how. Please go easy on me, I'm very new to this.

On 15/09/2021 at 09:35, AJ567 said:

maxed out fuzz into a , using an expression pedal. The xero will really emphasise the "scream" part because its a resonant filter.  

Thanks for your information. The xerograph is interesting and expensive, would a used MXR M188 Bass Auto Q be a suitable cheaper alternative?

Expression pedals are something I've been trying to research, I like the function of the Morley fx blender and I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative.