Why become a member? ×

NBD- Stingray 5 Special (consolidation part 2)

Old Horse Murphy

Following on from the @Bobthedog thread last week about consolidation, I think I've finally reached as consolidated position as I can myself with regards to guitars and basses. 

A few months ago I found that I had in excess of a dozen guitars and basses and honestly, the majority of them were getting no playing time whatsoever, so I decided to really try and whittle down my collection to what I consider would be go-to instruments: my toolbox if you will. 

Anyway, after a pleasant trip to Bass Direct this morning I traded in a few basses (at very reasonable valuations I hasten to add) and left with my new Stingray Special 5 String. This bass wasn't a stranger to me as I'd nipped up several times to try it before but finally decided to go for it and I'm glad I did. It's a super super bass in my favourite colour scheme. 

So that leaves me with my P Bass, my Fretless and my new SR5. That's it. And I feel happier for it. 

Guitar-wise I'm left with my Martin D18, an American Original Thinline Tele and my American Pro ii Strat. Again, I think this will do me for what I really need and want, and I'm hoping that everything will get played significantly more than it had done. 

I feel strangely cleansed :)

13D81E69-5157-4FF7-911C-31B639D34ECB.jpeg

130EDDF6-237B-41EC-8AB1-2687F96FD0F9.jpeg

46875401-B7BB-47CB-9744-AB245DB999C9.jpeg

D40D219B-87B7-43CE-9635-08D73BE0402D.jpeg

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Three great looking basses there, Old Horse!

I like the idea of paring things down- I'm nearly there with amps and effects, the basses will be the last thing I get to!

Thanks! I've actually got one bass amp and cab setup now (Ampeg PF800 and one of the GR Bass AT212's) but there's quite a busy pedalboard which is unlikely to change. 

I've got a few guitar combos although the one I'm using at the moment is one of the new Fender Tone master Twin modelling combos which has made my Hot Rod Deluxe completely redundant! I use one of the HX Effects units (brilliant things), so I'm not too stocked up on black boxes at the moment :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Congratulations. Love that SR5 Special - got to love a natural Stingray. How long do you think you’ll last before succumbing to GAS again? 😉

Thanks. SR5's are my favourite looking basses and I do love a bit of natural.

Re how long, that's a good question. I hope it's for a good long while as I really don't need any more (want is a different matter!) I actually used to feel really bad about having instruments sat around doing nothing, so to narrow it down makes me happier in a strange sort of way and I hope to use them all regularly. 

I’ve been downsizing/consolidating since before and after relocating from the west coast of Scotland to Shropshire. I had fourteen basses at one point. I’m down to five now and if the Dimension and G&L sell I’ll be at three. One P type, a super J and an MM. Got myself into a band again. Feeling ready to go and the three are all getting equal playtime.

Really lovely SR5!! Tort plate would look great on it btw🙂

Keir

• Like 1