Jump to content

moollon P-classic vs modern vintage MVP4-62


soulstar89
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey,

 

hope everyone is enjoying the sunny english weather (it won't last lol). I have Looked on the net for a comparison of the moollon P-classic and the modern vintage MVP4-62 but no luck.

 

Has anyone on here got both or have played both? I wondered how they differ in sound and feel. Would be interesting to get a place of reference for people interested.

 

The moollon has a 30-36 month awaiting list which is CRAZY looool

 

cheers 👍

Edited by soulstar89
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So yes! Moollon P-Classic vs Modern Vintage P62.

 

Ultimately, of course, very similar in spec. Ie 1.75” width nuts and relatively flat necks,  classic 1962, which both basses are based off.

 

The Moollon has a nitro finish all over, as was standard of the day. As such, the neck is effectively gloss, but will wear quickly.

The MVP has a poly finish body and a satin finish neck. As such, while the Moollon will play in nicely, the MVP already feels wonderfully played in and ‘vintage’ (also helped by the torrified/roasted maple).

 

Its difficult to compare their sound directly as I have steel flats on the Moollon and black tapewounds on the MVP, but they both sound fantastic!

 

If you’re trying to decide between the two, then the MVP is an EXCELLENT alternative to the Moollon, without the 3 year build wait.

 

I would suggest either just buying an MVP, or ordering a Moollon....and buying an MVP for the wait time haha.

 

Happy to answer any questions as you need. 

 

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Just to muddy the waters, there’s also the LaBella Olinto option.

Absolutely, although as lovely as they look/are, double the price of a Moollon, let alone an MVP.


Si

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, such said:

Another curveball, Buzz basses from Restauracja Gitar are awesome traditional-ish Ps and Js with loads of customisability. 3-4 months (not years) wait and slightly cheaper than MV. 

IMG_20210907_162037.jpg

They look like they might be Limelight equivalents?

Not a pretty headstock decal is all....if they fixed that....

 

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sibob said:

They look like they might be Limelight equivalents?

Not a pretty decal headstock decal is all....if they fixed that....

 

Si

Might be - I've never seen a Limelight in person, but they look/sound nice here and on youtube. One difference is that Mateusz at RG will only use a Fender logo if it's a Fender being refinished (which he does a lot with MIJ). I do agree about the Buzz logo. Also, the sheer range of possible finish options is unmatched in a basically one-man operation (poly, nitro, paisley, sparkle, no upcharge relic jobs). Top class parts, shielding/soldering and fretwork. First ever new bass I didn't feel compelled to file the nut down anymore. 

 

PS. I am in a honeymoon mind you

Edited by such
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sibob said:

So yes! Moollon P-Classic vs Modern Vintage P62.

 

Ultimately, of course, very similar in spec. Ie 1.75” width nuts and relatively flat necks,  classic 1962, which both basses are based off.

 

The Moollon has a nitro finish all over, as was standard of the day. As such, the neck is effectively gloss, but will wear quickly.

The MVP has a poly finish body and a satin finish neck. As such, while the Moollon will play in nicely, the MVP already feels wonderfully played in and ‘vintage’ (also helped by the torrified/roasted maple).

 

Its difficult to compare their sound directly as I have steel flats on the Moollon and black tapewounds on the MVP, but they both sound fantastic!

 

If you’re trying to decide between the two, then the MVP is an EXCELLENT alternative to the Moollon, without the 3 year build wait.

 

I would suggest either just buying an MVP, or ordering a Moollon....and buying an MVP for the wait time haha.

 

Happy to answer any questions as you need. 

 

Si

Thanks so much for the run down. When I tried the 75 P bass at the bass gallery the neck was gloss. Didn’t like it one bit. A factor could be also that my wrist didn’t take to the neck at all. Did the moollon have the same feel as your 71 neck in terms of gloss feel on neck? When you say he wore down quickly did it reach the feel of say fenders satin neck? 
 

Having different strings definitely would make it hard to compare.  Would you the sound similar to pre cbs fenders? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, such said:

Another curveball, Buzz basses from Restauracja Gitar are awesome traditional-ish Ps and Js with loads of customisability. 3-4 months (not years) wait and slightly cheaper than MV. 

IMG_20210907_162037.jpg

And another option lol. Thanks a lot. I think I’ll start writing these in a note pad to research 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

Thanks so much for the run down. When I tried the 75 P bass at the bass gallery the neck was gloss. Didn’t like it one bit. A factor could be also that my wrist didn’t take to the neck at all. Did the moollon have the same feel as your 71 neck in terms of gloss feel on neck? When you say he wore down quickly did it reach the feel of say fenders satin neck? 
 

Having different strings definitely would make it hard to compare.  Would you the sound similar to pre cbs fenders? 


It’s worth noting that nitro finishes are still gloss, and while they do wear a LOT quicker and easier than poly finishes, we’re still talking about years of use. You’d want to be gigging/playing the Moollon for a good 5 years before it really started to wear. It’s not a quick fix, simply how it was for old Fenders. Mine is still a gloss finish, and as above, will take a few years to wear down to a satin feel.

 

If you don’t want a gloss neck, or to wait for it to wear down, you’ll either want a pre-reliced neck, or one with a satin finish like the MVP.

The MVP neck is wonderful, again very 60’s, flat and wide and feels beautifully played-in due to the roasted satin finish (the roasting process removes moisture, similar to what you’d expect from an old neck).


Sound wise it’s difficult to say, both pickups are modeled off early 60’s Precisions, but I’ve not gigged a pre-CBS. Suffice to say that both basses sound excellent, warm and thumpy and ‘vintage’ to my ears. 
 

Si

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sibob said:


It’s worth noting that nitro finishes are still gloss, and while they do wear a LOT quicker and easier than poly finishes, we’re still talking about years of use. You’d want to be gigging/playing the Moollon for a good 5 years before it really started to wear. It’s not a quick fix, simply how it was for old Fenders. Mine is still a gloss finish, and as above, will take a few years to wear down to a satin feel.

 

If you don’t want a gloss neck, or to wait for it to wear down, you’ll either want a pre-reliced neck, or one with a satin finish like the MVP.

The MVP neck is wonderful, again very 60’s, flat and wide and feels beautifully played-in due to the roasted satin finish (the roasting process removes moisture, similar to what you’d expect from an old neck).


Sound wise it’s difficult to say, both pickups are modeled off early 60’s Precisions, but I’ve not gigged a pre-CBS. Suffice to say that both basses sound excellent, warm and thumpy and ‘vintage’ to my ears. 
 

Si

 

Thanks for the detailed Response. It’s is extremely helpful for me and I’m sure it will be helpful for people in the future. I will reach out to moollon and possibly make a day trip to bass direct to try the mvp out. I won’t lie. I would want a sun burst which they don’t stock lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

Thanks for the detailed Response. It’s is extremely helpful for me and I’m sure it will be helpful for people in the future. I will reach out to moollon and possibly make a day trip to bass direct to try the mvp out. I won’t lie. I would want a sun burst which they don’t stock lol. 


I’m sure BD would be able to order in a Sunburst pretty quickly, although you could perhaps even go direct to Modern Vintage?!

 

I’m part of the Moollon group on Facebook, Andi (who runs Moollon’s admin) is extremely responsive and candid/honest about the wait times, but that 3 year queue is a tough one haha

 

Si

Edited by Sibob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of the two OP options, I would definitely go for a MV. Despite my preference for nitro, big reverse tuners etc. Current Moollon prices combined with the wait times just launch this out of a reasonable P-bass land. I have no doubt they're great, but once a good seasoned wood has been nicely sprayed and screwed together skillfully, good pickup tidily soldered in with high quality pots and socket, cavities shielded, fretwork perfected, proper hardware bolted on etc, just how much better can a P bass get with additional £k's and/or years of waiting? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, and incase it didn't come across previously, I think the MVP's are excellent basses! If I didn't have the Moollon I would be buying another MVP in Gold........and I probably wouldn't rule out another in any case now haha.

 

Si

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Is it known exactly which factory is making the MVP? 

 

It's stated as a factory in South Korea, I don't know for sure, but I've read some people think it's the Cort factory. Hasn't been confirmed though.

 

Si

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...