Why become a member? ×

Fender Machine Heads.

NancyJohnson

On 11/09/2021 at 10:38, Burns-bass said:

They’re called Kluson tuners and are indeed bigger than the clover leaf style tuners they went to in 1966/67.

There were also transitional “lolly pop” tuners too, only used for some of 1966.

God I’m boring.

Here you go 

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

Some of the Japanese reissues - I think it's the top-of-the-range/export models - have the old-style tuners with the long stem, large cloverleaf, reverse-wind and large baseplate (the top and bottom edges almost touch). Lower-grade models have short stems, small leaf and small baseplates (noticeable gap between top and bottom edges).

This is just from my observations so don't take it as a completely authoritative guide.

• Like 1

The older ones are modelled on double bass tuners. They went to manufacturing their own tuners presumably to save money. The klusons also dig into the back of the headstock whereas the Fender tuners are flush to the headstock. The klusons are a better performing tuner too. In fact, I have them on my FSR pink jazz bass (https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190301340085008-3410303--fender-fsr-american-pro-jazz-bass-shell-pink-rosewood-n) which is a spectacularly well made bass.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with Nancy about the look being much better a cheaper alternative to Kluson (well they were when i bought mine) are  Gotoh GB640's, they also have the long stems and are available in reverse and forward gearing, they're also 'Resolite' and excellent quality.

On 11/09/2021 at 20:44, KevL said:

Some of the Japanese reissues - I think it's the top-of-the-range/export models - have the old-style tuners with the long stem, large cloverleaf, reverse-wind and large baseplate (the top and bottom edges almost touch). Lower-grade models have short stems, small leaf and small baseplates (noticeable gap between top and bottom edges).

This is just from my observations so don't take it as a completely authoritative guide.

I had a PInk  Paisley Japanese Reissue 'Tele Bass' with the longer stems and reverse wind.

If you like the style of the klusons but don't fancy having a bass where the tuners turn the wrong way, Gotoh make a set of res-o-lites named GB640 which look very much like the klusons with the same footprint, but are precision made of ultra lightweight aluminium alloy and turn the same way as normal tuners. They have replaced hipshots as my favourite tuners and I think they look pretty cool on my thunderbirds.

gb640.thumb.jpg.8e98efd87c01cf346a6989728417f1ee.jpg

• Like 3

On 26/09/2021 at 07:32, Steve Browning said:

Now that's odd. My two SVLs have Res-O-Lites exactly as those, but are reverse wind.

I think both options are available. I was considering getting a set for my JV Precision. The bass is very light but the tuners give it a bit of neck dive due to the weight.

• Thanks 1