Why become a member? ×

One band, in two different parts of the room.

bass_dinger

An update, but not a nice one.

My wife is due to go in for minor surgery later this week, so, I want to look after her.

However, my dad suffered two heart attacks last week, and had a stent fitted, so, I want to look after him too!  

I don't think that the Panto group remains a priority, and I did not much enjoy it, so, I will consider dropping out.  

• Sad 7

27 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

An update, but not a nice one.

My wife is due to go in for minor surgery later this week, so, I want to look after her.

However, my dad suffered two heart attacks last week, and had a stent fitted, so, I want to look after him too!  

I don't think that the Panto group remains a priority, and I did not much enjoy it, so, I will consider dropping out.  

My Dad died three weeks ago, and my mum has a lot of health problems that we haven't even started dealing with yet. 

I love being in a band. Sometimes it's my whole reason for getting out of bed on a morning. But sometimes there are bigger priorities. 

You shouldn't even feel guilty about getting out and getting on with more important things. Good luck. I wish your wife and your Dad the best of health. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

On 21/09/2021 at 09:46, Jus Lukin said:

Sorry to hear the news- doesn't seem correct to say that you dodged a bullet, but at least the decision has been taken out of your hands.

I was on tour for most of the 15 months of my Dad's illness, and got that phone call whilst loading out of a venue at the end of the night. I did get the chance to say a kind of goodbye while he was still compos mentis, and saw him briefly in the hospice when he was more diamorphine than man, but otherwise I was pretty disconnected from the process. Observing those little points along the trajectory were psychologically helpful to me, and as gruelling as it is to look after someone, I think our brains are better attuned to the inevitable outcome of a decline that to just lose someone out of the blue.

Reading back I see that your parents are both still with you, so that isn't quite as relevant as I first thought, but during this time your own wellbeing is just as, if not more, important than usual. While it's natural to do all you can for your mum and dad, taking every opportunity to relax and care for yourself will help no end, in both the immediate and long term.

All the best, Andy

So, I lost my mum at the start of June the year, and wanted to be with my dad more often, at this time.  His heart attack simply added to the urgency.

I think that dad would appreciate my being with him, so, that feels like the right answer.  

I only joined the other band to stretch my musical self a little.  But right now, that it not the priority.

• Like 2

I got a message from the band leader.

It had not quite worked out as he expected, and the plan is to do something smaller (fewer people) in the new year.  He likes my playing style, and wants me to be part of it. 

So, it looks like the Panto is not now happening. 

I can't say that I mind.

In the meantime, I have the first proper run through of the Orpington Food Fair band tonight - we play two 45 minute sets, on Sunday.   I know about 70 percent of the songs (church stuff), but a lot of them are in new keys.  The songs that are new to me (pop songs) I have chord charts for.   Only Dancing Queen, and Crazy Little Thing Called Love, are in the right key, and familiar to me.  The guitarist is good, and the vocalist are strong.  We have PA, and a stage, all on the back of a low-loader.  I am hoping that the audience will all be eating burgers and ignoring the band!

This is my biggest gig to date.  And I am still not getting paid for it!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

It had not quite worked out as he expected, and the plan is to do something smaller (fewer people) in the new year.  He likes my playing style, and wants me to be part of it. 

I can't say that I mind.

In the meantime, I have the first proper run through of the Orpington Food Fair band tonight - we play two 45 minute sets, on Sunday.   I know about 70 percent of the songs (church stuff), but a lot of them are in new keys.  The songs that are new to me (pop songs) I have chord charts for.   Only Dancing Queen, and Crazy Little Thing Called Love, are in the right key, and familiar to me.  The guitarist is good, and the vocalist are strong.  We have PA, and a stage, all on the back of a low-loader.  I am hoping that the audience will all be eating burgers and ignoring the band!

Yeah, but think of the positives, you'll all be in one general area.

Best to you.

P

On 11/09/2021 at 08:44, wateroftyne said:

To complicate matters further...

Even if it sounds OK at the rehearsal, it's all going to change on the night of the gig itself. Fish batter is a notorious acoustic sponge - it'll soak up all the reflections, which will have its pros and cons. You might lose the slapjack / timing issues mentioned earlier, at the expense of being to hear the other half of the band.

Is it too late to suggest a change to pie & chips instead? That might mitigate the problem somewhat.

Are you insane? Pastry reflects sound like an absolute bastid. It would be a total echo chamber. Madness. Madness, I tell you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is it too much to expect a rational reason for this?

I am just the bassist.  I do what I am told.

It's a church gig.  Different churches sing the same standards in different keys.  I have played some songs in four different keys in one rehearsal to assist the vocalists to find their happy place.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I am just the bassist.  I do what I am told.

It's a church gig.  Different churches sing the same standards in different keys.  I have played some songs in four different keys in one rehearsal to assist the vocalists to find their happy place.  

You must have the patience of a saint - probably St. Cecilia.

5 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

I can't say that I mind.

I read the thread from the beginning having noticed the date and assumed this would be an update. 

Use your ears and all will be fine on Sunday, those gigs can be the most fun. Good luck. Hope all is well otherwise. 

I see that I was unclear - apologies.

So, I have two gigs.

The panto gig, with PA at both ends of the room, and lots of inexperienced musicians, aiming to put on  a show with 10 weeks of rehearsals.

This gig has now been cancelled - just two people turned up to the rehearsal in the second week, I am told.    However, I have been asked to work with the same band leader to play in a smaller group.

On Sunday, I am playing at an open-air event, at the Orpington Food Fair.  The band is made up of a number of churches in Orpington - so, a choir of 30, and musicians from different churches.  Hence, we are learning to play together, in new keys.  Somehow, this feels like an easier gig - the musicians have a track-record of delivering good music, and we were able to get through 20 songs in 2 hours, taking time to refine the arrangements.       

• Like 1