Why become a member? ×

Pimp up my P!

franzbassist

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CJPJ said:

I've just bought a used Player P Bass and thinking of changing the bridge - is it something that a novice can do or should I go to a luthier and get it done and set up at the same time? 

You can absolutely do it yourself.  It's just a matter of unscrewing the 5 screws, swapping over, and screwing them back down again.

• Like 1

Thanks @franzbassist. The first (last) time I re-strung my bass and took off all the strings at once, and left if for a couple of days, I found that my neck bowed and lost its shape. I had to get it adjusted by someone else as I had no idea what I was doing. Presumably changing it over in quick order and re-stringing should avoid this although presumbably I'd still need to adjust the tension/levels on on the bridge itself. Is there a guide on this forum for that do you know . . . perhaps!?

Edited by CJPJ
typo

6 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

I've just bought a used Player P Bass and thinking of changing the bridge - is it something that a novice can do or should I go to a luthier and get it done and set up at the same time? 

Definitely diy, if it’s an upgrade, a lot of the time the screws are in the same place 👍

• Like 1

Good job.

The white pearl pickguard looks great...so much nicer than countless other Buttercream Player P basses with the plain white ones. Makes it really stand out!

I thought about buying one and doing the same and swapping out the chrome hardware for black, but it wasn't meant to be.

10 hours ago, CJPJ said:

Thanks @franzbassist. The first (last) time I re-strung my bass and took off all the strings at once, and left if for a couple of days, I found that my neck bowed and lost its shape. I had to get it adjusted by someone else as I had no idea what I was doing. Presumably changing it over in quick order and re-stringing should avoid this although presumbably I'd still need to adjust the tension/levels on on the bridge itself. Is there a guide on this forum for that do you know . . . perhaps!?

There are a lot of guides to setup and intonation on the internet 

example 

• Like 1

Yep. Thanks - I think I'll give it a go. I don't think there is too much I can do permanently wrong to the bass and it's not a bad way to figure it out and practice. I've never really had the confidence to tinker but thats just no fun!