Why become a member? ×

Pimp up my P!

franzbassist

I recently picked up a very nice Player Series P Bass in a lovely butterscotch finish.  Weighing in at 8.5lbs the bass is super-resonant and sounds great. 

The previous owner had put a white pearl scratchplate on it, but other than that it was stock and in very good condition.  However, as an eternal tinkerer, I decided to pimp the bass up and made a few basic modifications:

• Hipshot HB7 tuners - much more stable and accurate tuning with these
  • Hipshot Kickass bridge - a new interpretation of the classic Badass bridge, very impressive!
  • Dunlop straplocks - these go on all my basses
  • Fender pickup and scratchplate screws - all changed just to get rid of some rusted screws
  • Fender thumbrest - I don't use them, but I love how they look on a P bass in the tugbar position
  • CTS 250k Mojotone vintage taper pots - the original Korean pots were nasty
  • .047 orange drop capacitor

I did toy with the idea of changing the pickup, but it sounds pretty good so I have left it alone for now.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

236523233_228382999211658_5956258139149246934_n.jpg

67631C10-77F0-4FE5-B73F-121828094223.jpeg

BCB9B3AB-88C3-4E9D-AD1A-217CE466BA3D.jpeg

ECE3CF0C-047D-4CF1-B410-33C630F8F948.jpeg

B267775E-266B-4BAB-8406-813E2B807595.jpeg

72F3FB73-BA36-4930-BD6E-997A96571E37.jpeg

82601FC5-0BE7-417A-87D3-852C11A75C4C.jpeg

F586C088-A722-4CE2-9ED7-B6D9A8675617.jpeg

895490CF-DCB4-4BAF-8D1E-7EEA1004879B.jpeg

B90F2B44-E2B7-43DD-8FB3-18F6FE93DB20.jpeg

39F4C5FF-F3FB-4E64-A6AA-56A81318E3D8.jpeg

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, Moving Pictures said:

How hefty is that bridge? I just picked up a black and maple Players Precision. 

It's weighs twice as much as the standard bridge.  It's a really excellent lump of metal.  You can also change the brass inserts for steel if you want more attack (not included though) , and Hipshot supply two spare brass ones as well so you can vary the height to personal taste.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 1

Lovely bit of work making the bass your own. I’ve done that to a couple

of basses and it’s quite satisfying. I’m saying that I’ve got a Hot P Seymour Duncan I’m not using if you do fancy something hotter as a pick up upgrade and a tone styler. I’ll be listing them in the next few days once I dig them out of storage boxes. 
Don’t worry mods I’m all paid up.

Edited by krispn

17 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice...

But i'm a Thumb Rest on Top kinda' guy...

15 hours ago, Velarian said:

Indeed, it wouldn’t be a thumb rest if it wasn’t on top. 

Very much so. I don't really see the point of 'tug bars'. Does anyone actually use them any more or are they just for the sake of 'period correctness' on certain instruments?

I think it would just get in my way.

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don't really see the point of 'tug bars'. Does anyone actually use them any more or are they just for the sake of 'period correctness' on certain instruments?

I guess if you play "old school" with your thumb, then a tug bar gives you a place to put your fingers. Otherwise, it has nice "pose appeal"!

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Question for the OP.  Given the outlay for the new parts, wouldn't it just have been better to save some pennies and just buy something new that's closer to what you're trying to achieve here?

I didn't buy the bass new.  Even with the new parts it came in at well under the cost of a new stock Player Series P 

:i-m_so_happy:

23 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Very much so. I don't really see the point of 'tug bars'. Does anyone actually use them any more or are they just for the sake of 'period correctness' on certain instruments?

I think it would just get in my way.

Back in the day, it was the first thing you took off and threw away, along with the ash trays.

On 10/09/2021 at 10:46, M@23 said:

Looks spot on! New scratch plate is a big improvement. 

It's always surprising how a small thing like a pickguard change can transform the look of a bass 😁

I have a black Highway one P bass, which came with a black pickguard, I swapped it for a reliced tortoiseshell and it looks so much classier.

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

It's always surprising how a small thing like a pickguard change can transform the look of a bass 😁

I have a black Highway one P bass, which came with a black pickguard, I swapped it for a reliced tortoiseshell and it looks so much classier.

Funny enough I have a black p-bass that had a tortoiseshell pick guard that I swapped for a black one, it looks so much classier 😂😂😂

• Like 1