Why become a member? ×

But are you actually talented and serious about music 😅 (bad adverts thread)

Fishfacefour

I usually find Bandmix very frustrating for how few people bother to write a proper (or any) profile or include any photos or music.

And even more annoyingly, many, if not most, don't even bother to edit out the instruments they're not looking for.  Hence ads often read:

Seeking:

Accordion, Acoustic Guitar, Background Singer, Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass Guitar, Cello, Clarinet, DJ, Dobro, Drums, Electronic Music, Fiddle, Flute, Harmonica, Harp, Keyboard, Lead Guitar, Mandolin, Other, Other Percussion, Piano, Rhythm Guitar, Saxophone, Steel guitar, Trombone, Trumpet, Ukulele, Upright bass, Violin, Vocalist, Vocalist - Alto, Vocalist - Baritone, Vocalist - Bass, Vocalist - Soprano, Vocalist - Tenor.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

I usually find Bandmix very frustrating for how few people bother to write a proper (or any) profile or include any photos or music.

And even more annoyingly, many, if not most, don't even bother to edit out the instruments they're not looking for.  Hence ads often read:

Seeking:

Accordion, Acoustic Guitar, Background Singer, Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass Guitar, Cello, Clarinet, DJ, Dobro, Drums, Electronic Music, Fiddle, Flute, Harmonica, Harp, Keyboard, Lead Guitar, Mandolin, Other, Other Percussion, Piano, Rhythm Guitar, Saxophone, Steel guitar, Trombone, Trumpet, Ukulele, Upright bass, Violin, Vocalist, Vocalist - Alto, Vocalist - Baritone, Vocalist - Bass, Vocalist - Soprano, Vocalist - Tenor.

Seeking: Entire A1 orchestra, no time wasters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It would be interesting to actually hear the guy in the ad in the first post. If he is any good then I think his ad is pretty decent. 

What do you think the odds are of him being as good as he claims?

It's always worth reminding yourself that talent isn't an excuse for being hard to work with.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

What do you think the odds are of him being as good as he claims?

It's always worth reminding yourself that talent isn't an excuse for being hard to work with.

Imo doubtful, but for some reason I just hope I’m wrong.

Def agree re talent not being an excuse for being hard to work with, though sadly I’ve worked with some who didn’t read that particular sentence - as I’m sure many of us have.

• Like 1

Perhaps Im thicker skinned than most - but that sounds like somebody that has got a plan, a work ethos and drive to get things going. That's the very thing that sets bands that "make it" apart from the bands that meander in a sea of nothingness.

Say what you want up front, then you can kick people out who don't adhere to the plan. You always can refer them back to the original advert when they don't play ball. Most musicians are inherently lazy - so fair play to this guy looking to cut the dead wood and starting afresh.

Some may call him a bell end... but I think he's pretty decent in setting expectations up front. If you think he's over selling himself, you should read some of the corporate lies on LinkedIn.

Edited by EBS_freak

I think that’s probably why I’m hopeful he’s as good as he writes that he is. There’s nothing wrong with being clear minded.

In my last band (originals material) we formed from a prior covers band. The singer decided what he wanted to do and put it down in a similar way in an e-Mail to us all.

I went with it, the other 2 didn’t, and if I’m honest certainly one of them would have been completely unsuitable not down to ability but due to attitude & commitment. That well worded e-Mail saved us and him from wasting each other’s time.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

Being as good as he says he is... I'm sure if you asked the Gallagher brothers what they thought of themselves in the founding days of Oasis, they would be sure of their abilities too. It's all relative. They seem to have done alright from themselves.

Sometimes attitude gets you places, regardless of talent... or perceived talent.

• Like 2

He may well be a knob, but he expresses himself clearly and his ad has had most if us look at it, so it is achieving its aim. 

I looked up the band on Facebook and listened to about 30 seconds of it, nothing I'd want to listen to again, but I'm probably older than his dad, so am most definitely not in the target group for his project.

Some people will appreciate his direct approach, at least you have a good idea of what you're letting yourself in for if you reply. 

Maybe a knob. Maybe someone in their late 20’s bored at work and feeling like the chance is slipping away from him. Most people tend to coast through life.  Nothing wrong with that if you’re basically content with your lot but if you feel you have the energy to do better it’s a shame not to try. 
Edit: I read a fair few music autobiographies and pretty much all of them would have been unbearable bell ends in their youth!

Edited by tegs07

2 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I'm 53 and have the energy to do better, but I'm not prepared to associate with narcissistic singer-guitarists or sleep with Simon Cowell to achieve it.

That wisdom probably comes with being 53. I can’t think of a singer-guitarist that isn’t a bit of a narcissist though.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Maybe a knob. Maybe someone in their late 20’s bored at work and feeling like the chance is slipping away from him. Most people tend to coast through life.  Nothing wrong with that if you’re basically content with your lot but if you feel you have the energy to do better it’s a shame not to try. 
Edit: I read a fair few music autobiographies and pretty much all of them would have been unbearable bell ends in their youth!

How did you get late 20's washout out of 24 year old recent uni graduate?

2 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

How did you get late 20's washout out of 24 year old recent uni graduate?

I don’t know how old the ad is. Bloke maybe a tool, maybe desperate, maybe keen. I don’t know I’ve never met him. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt.