Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this Custom build (Svetano)

Newfoundfreedom

I've just spotted this on Facebook marketplace. Doing a little research it appears that Svetano is a custom builder / luthier here in Bulgaria. There has been a couple of them listed on here over the years. But it looks like all the photos are now defunkt. 

I've been gassing for a fanfret 6er for a while, and this looks like it could scratch the itch. So I thought I'd post it on here for the more experienced and eagle eyed amongst you to give it a look and see if I'm missing anything. 

All I can see "wrong" with it is the pickups look a bit shoddy with a couple of the poles slightly sunken, and they appear to be held on with couple of DIY wood screws. I know that this is a retro done by the owner, and not original work by the builder. 

The spec, as I can best translate.

Top - 100 year old Madagascar Ebony.

Base - Sapele Mahogany.

Neck - Mahogany / Maple.

Acoustic openings.

Pickups - Alnico 2 humbucker 20 kohm divided into 2 singles (I'm assuming he means split coils)

3 band active electronics with 4 selectable frequencies 440, 550, 800, 1000hz

33-36" scale.

Elixir medium guage strings. 

The builder's work looks pretty good, at least to my untrained eye. Those with Facebook can see more (plus the original build of this) here. https://www.facebook.com/zvetano-custom-basses-225369094171732/

The price at the current exchange rate is around 560 of her majesty the Queen's British pounds. 

It looks like a hell of a lot of bass for that money to me. Am I missing anything? 

IMG_20210909_204015.jpg

IMG_20210909_203942.jpg

IMG_20210909_203914.jpg

IMG_20210909_203849.jpg

IMG_20210909_203828.jpg

IMG_20210909_203809.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 3

Weight?

Setup?

This kind of monster may be a real steal now, and if the builder gets lots of orders via reputation, the price may rise to unobtanium or similar.

Of course the bass may be one of few this guy will ever build and you could get a good deal.

If I was not able to test drive a bass, I'd be careful, as always.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, itu said:

Weight?

Setup?

This kind of monster may be a real steal now, and if the builder gets lots of orders via reputation, the price may rise to unobtanium or similar.

Of course the bass may be one of few this guy will ever build and you could get a good deal.

If I was not able to test drive a bass, I'd be careful, as always.

Yeah it would mean a 3 hour train ride to view the bass in person for a proper test drive. Weight, no idea, but being chambered it has to be lighter than my current 14lb behemoth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2