Why become a member? ×

Anyone else suffer from sticky LaBellas?

Bassybert

Before anyone asks, no it’s nothing to do with sitting down all day or wearing tight underwear 😆

I’ve been playing some LaBella 760FS strings for a few weeks and while I love the feel and tone they get sticky when playing and it’s putting me off playing them.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so does it go away when they wear in a bit?

Edited by Bassybert
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone, was asking as I know they last for donkeys years I'm cool with that if they're going to smooth out.

If they stayed like it I would have looked at changing them for a different brand but they feel and sound great, the tension is spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Labella are pretty much all I use , the last few years I’ve took a big shine to the LTF’s , I really like the sound and tension, which is a bit lower than yours, stick with them they really do just get better and better 🙂

Ooh I've not heard of those, they look pretty good ☺️

• Like 1

Many string manufacturers put a coating on their products to prevent them from corroding in the pack. The D'Addarios and Cobalts I use are the same. It makes them feel sticky to the touch when new. Just wipe them down with a drop of meths or similar on a cloth before fitting them and that will solve the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 08:37, gjones said:

I used to play with flatwounds and I recall, that when my hands got sweaty, the strings got sticky.

Not even noticeably sweaty.  Happens to me only when gigging.  I'm not aware I sweat more then (no wet hands etc) but deffo my speed of note change on a fretless slows to a crawl as the finger stick to the strings (Dunlops, not super smooth but reasonably so).  I posted elsewhere on here for solutions and got a number of suggestions.  Strings Direct helpfully suggested a D'Addario product which you rub on.  Will try it in action this Sunday.  

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 09:59, Reggaebass said:

Labella are pretty much all I use , the last few years I’ve took a big shine to the LTF’s , I really like the sound and tension, which is a bit lower than yours, stick with them they really do just get better and better 🙂

+1 to this. I’ve very recently converted to LaBella LTF (low tension flats) and the feel of them is truly perfect straight out of the pack. Silky smooth with zero stickiness, and the tension is really really nice. Oh and they sound bloody excellent too.

They’re my favourite flats now after having tried Thomastiks, EB Cobalts, Dunlops and the standard La Bella 760 flats. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Stcky Labella is sleeping with the fishes.

The Post-It Mob got him.

Who's gonna be the first to ask to change their forum name to Sticky LaBella?

Edited by lownote
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1