Why become a member? ×

Rhythm guitarists playing bass

SteveXFR

I've recently started to appreciate a few ex rhythm guitarists who've changed to bassists. One of my favourites is Lou Barlow from Dinosaur Jr. I've tried to work out exactly how he's playing but can't quite get there. Any tips for getting close to this playing style? I think a lot of what he's playing is power chords but I'm not sure. 

• Like 1

I suppose the other obvious one is Lemmy, who was a guitarist before joining Hawkwind.  Seems to have liked the change :)

I don't know Dinosaur Junior's stuff, sorry to say.  Is this how Barlow plays in the studio?  I'm wondering if it's a way to fill the sound out with only one guitarist.

• Like 1

Other than two-handed bass, the other reason I got a Chapman Stick was to be able to play bass & rhythm @ the same time. Because all the guitarists I knew wanted to play "lead" guitar.

But didn't know or didn't understand the "concept" of rhythm guitar.

"Riddly,riddly,ree" - F.Z.

9 hours ago, Bassybert said:

I know one thing being a big fan of them from all the way back in the 90s, it would have been f&@#*ng loud in there!

I've seen them live and you're right, they're seriously loud. I've no idea how Lou or Jay still have any hearing. Those stacks of amps aren't just props, they're all on and cranked up loud.

Yeah, seeing Dinosaur Jr in the early 90s the the Mean Fiddler (I think it was) destroyed my hearing.  About 20 years later I thought I'd give him another try and saw J Mascis and the Fog (I think, with Mike Watt on bass, at the Cockpit in Leeds). My ears have never been the same.  Hidden in amongst the noise are some great tunes, check out the chords in Repulsion, and Little Fury Things.  Can't remember much out the bass parts I'm afraid 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I've seen them live and you're right, they're seriously loud. I've no idea how Lou or Jay still have any hearing. Those stacks of amps aren't just props, they're all on and cranked up loud.

I have no idea how they have any hearing left at all TBH, playing in front of several fully cranked Marshall stacks night after night. Ears ringing for days!

18 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Lou Barlow is a very interesting player. I think he is essentially using a guitar strumming technique on bass, often using double stops. He also splits his signal between various amps, combining a big clean tone with something more distorted and cutting. I read that he developed the approach through being a guitar player, wanting to have a thick, supporting sound under Mascis' solos, and essentially to have some hope of making his presence felt through the squall of guitar and drums.

He seems like a pretty cool guy, too, onstage and off.

Yeah; once I realised that I could hear essentially Rhythm bass and guitar behind the lead soloing, it made sense. His solo output is pretty interesting too.

42 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Lou’s great. And yes, his solo and Sebadoh output is cool too.

On a side note, he wrote this little belter on the latest DJ album. Live Mascis is covering the solo. On bass.

Funnily I've been listening to Harmacy in the car this week!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've been looking up some Dinosaur Jr tabs and they don't seem to be showing that he's playing chords other than the occasional power chords.

I’d suggest that’s likely more down to whoever’s done the tab. He’s pretty much always using a strumming motion that you’d expect from a rhythm guitarist. Doubt very much most of that results in single note lines. Root and fifth will get you there a fair bit of the time I’d say. 

Also, bear in mind he was away from the band for a long time before rejoining. Are the tabs from songs he originally played on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr4stringz said:

I’d suggest that’s likely more down to whoever’s done the tab. He’s pretty much always using a strumming motion that you’d expect from a rhythm guitarist. Doubt very much most of that results in single note lines. Root and fifth will get you there a fair bit of the time I’d say. 

Also, bear in mind he was away from the band for a long time before rejoining. Are the tabs from songs he originally played on?

They are from his songs BUT they are tabs on the Internet and it's a well known fact that all tabs on the Internet are wrong. 

I've also realised that the unusually named Richard Boner of Husker Du plays in a very similar style but his songs are a bit slower so easier for me to work out myself  

• Like 1

Lou is definitely an interesting player. 

Seen them a couple times, in '09, and I think, '12. Can't quite remember! Excellent in both instances. They came back, and haven't tarnished their legacy one bit, and continue from where they left off. A rare feat!

Haven't listened to the new album yet. My only gripe with their post-reunion output has been J's productions. The bass is simply buried and pretty much inaudible in most of the records. Live, it was totally different, bass really powerful and 'out there' (if you excuse the Dino-pun!)

• Like 1