Why become a member? ×

i tried a 61 and 75 fender P bass.... necks are so so different

soulstar89

I popped into the bass gallery in camden earlier today and tried four basses:

*fender P bass 1961

*fender P bass 1975

*fender P bass professional 2015

*yamaha bb2024

On the fenders, the necks was so so different. The 2015 felt in between a jazz and P. I really liked it. The 75 felt the most awkward to me. chunky in terms of depth as well as being rather sticky. I didn't like it. The 61........................ Wow it felt completely different to anything i have have played. The shaped seemed like a very shallow U but the fretboard was wide and flat. You would think that it would feel weird but it honestly didn't.  The 2015 Felt like similar to my squier in terms of the shape but miles better.

Trying out the four above made me realise the importance of getting a bass in your hands to see if you gel with it. Shame the 61 fender was 8K loool. 

Edited by soulstar89
  • Like 6

• soulstar89 changed the title to i tried a 61 and 75 fender P bass.... necks are so so different
Guest sockdeluxe_mikey

@soulstar89 The neck on the 1961 that you tried is AFAIK a Jazz Bass depth neck with the 1.75" nut width. That's pretty common for the period. My CS Custom Shop Jazz Bass is a 1964 model to most intents and purposes except it's a 1964 Precision Bass neck, and it sounds very similar (if not identical) to the profile you tried out, except I imagine the one you tried had a slab fingerboard and mine is a round laminate.

Sounds a bit weird to some people on paper, but yeah, I really like it!

10 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

All those years of play making that ‘61 neck feel like a week worn bannister! Would of had a nice wide nut too.

’61 is a such a great period IMO, great wood and a nice slab of rosewood 👍

its felt so different. It had flatwounds and the foam in the metal shielding at bridge was intact. i just wonder if the neck profile is made in any other brands. i looked up moollon but it is slightly differenr and the wait is 30-36 months lol.  

8 hours ago, Guest sockdeluxe_mikey said:

@soulstar89 The neck on the 1961 that you tried is AFAIK a Jazz Bass depth neck with the 1.75" nut width. That's pretty common for the period. My CS Custom Shop Jazz Bass is a 1964 model to most intents and purposes except it's a 1964 Precision Bass neck, and it sounds very similar (if not identical) to the profile you tried out, except I imagine the one you tried had a slab fingerboard and mine is a round laminate.

Sounds a bit weird to some people on paper, but yeah, I really like it!

oh cool. yes it had a flat fretboard. learnt a new word slab fingerboard. thanks.  sounds like you built a gem of a bass.

6 hours ago, claustra said:

Those small differences give the seamingly boring conventionnaly shaped Js and Ps endless appeal.

What did you think about the neck of the BB2024 ?

thats a good point. even the finish of the neck plays a role.

the BB2024 felt chunky with a satin finish. Wasn't uncomfortable  Just different. I will say i prefered the 2015 neck to the yamaha but its wasn't like the 75 which i REALLY disliked. The sound is very different to the fender pick ups. more aggression.

I forgot that i tried a MIJ fender fretless P bass. That felt good as well. They said it was made with like last 25 years. In all honesty i went down the bass gallery to try a MIJ P bass but when i arrived it had been sold.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

its felt so different. It had flatwounds and the foam in the metal shielding at bridge was intact. i just wonder if the neck profile is made in any other brands. i looked up moollon but it is slightly differenr and the wait is 30-36 months lol.  

It’s a tough one because they were hand made then, so IME (which is quite a bit) the necks mostly differ. 

• Like 1