Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Strings : Rounds or Flats?

PaulThePlug

Jazz Bass Strings : Rounds or Flats?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rounds or Flats... You Decide!

• Round
    • Flat

Nothing specific, just thinking outloud, The Flats on P's gets mentioned alot 'Warm Sound with the Split Coil in the Sweet Spot' just wondering if their is a general thinking around a Jazz, Particularly with the single coil in the bridge position... Are rounds more suited to the Single Coil in the bridge for a more bell or piano like  quality to the note, more attack and sharper sound.

The notion of Flats and Jazz Coils, particularly Bridge feels like it would be contradictory?

Think i'd go 45-100, same gauge as the Adagio Flats on the P, but maybe  try thier Rounds... to make a marked difference... Thinking about a Jazz...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Just now, EssentialTension said:

Fender Jazz with flats (preferably GHS Precision Flats in my view) and played with a heavy pick over the neck pickup is a 1960s thing and not just TV themes.

I'm sure that's true - but that's what I associate the sound with.

• Like 1

I've got flats on my P bass (and had them on all my P's) I keep trying flats on my jazz, even recently had EB cobalts which are very bright. I just can't get on with that sound on a jazz! To me a jazz should have that zingy hollow snap with both pickups on or that burpy punch on the back. I also love the slap sound on a jazz, and I haven't found any flats I like for slap.

That being said Joe Osborne and John Paul Jones always sounded fantastic with the jazz/flats combo.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lee650 said:

To me a jazz should have that zingy hollow snap with both pickups on or that burpy punch on the back. I also love the slap sound on a jazz, and I haven't found any flats I like for slap.

I know what you’re saying there lee, I only use flats because I like the feel and they sound really nice for what I play, but a friend of mine brought round a 1999 US jazz he had just bought for me to try, it was strung with new rounds ,which I haven’t played in years, and the slap tone was amazing , so bright and zingy 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2021 at 13:08, FinnDave said:

Flats work very well on a jazz if you use a pick - instant 60s TV theme music bass. I don't get to play a lot of 60s TV music, though,

Definitely true!  I actually recorded an EP in 2019 that was a tribute to the library music used on the TV/radio shows of the time, and I did indeed string the Jazz with flats and used a pick.  Palm muting is also quite important to nail the sound in many cases.

• Like 3

On 14/09/2021 at 16:57, PaulThePlug said:

Thanks for all the above suggestions and views... As the P has Adagio flats which i think are great for £13, I am thinking of a Jazz build, so have gone with Adagio Rounds in the same 45-100 for £10 Thought i'd give em a go over Rotosound or Ernie Ball..

Guessing I’m too late here but have some new D'Addario EXL170 XL Nickels 45-100 that I’m looking to move on for a tenner and you’re local! Bought a twin pack but too bright for me. Will stick them up in the classifieds if you’re sorted.

Edited by Happypants

I was surprised at the massive tone upgrade when I put flats on my P bass, so I tried some on my Jazz. They took away all I liked about the Jazz, so the rounds went back on.

IMO a P bass and flats just go together and rounds bring out the extended frequencies of the Jazz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...