Why become a member? ×

Anyone on here buy a Rob Allen Deep 5 at auction yesterday?

Denzel

Just wondering if anyone who frequents here bought the Rob Allen Deep 5 that was at Gardiner Houlgate guitar auction yesterday?

I bid but narrowly missed out unfortunately. Been after one of these for years. Looked like a stunning example of Robs earlier work. 

https://auctions.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/catalogue/lot/389324ab6e54094a567416f87148478c/63b778f7668dabe928d3800924a99077/the-guitar-auction-online-only-two-day-sale-includi-lot-313/

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

It’s showing £1400 at the hammer

Yep. Came out about £1900 Inc fees. I didn't want to go any further than that. It's always the afterthought...just another £50 would have got it...but that can go on and on with auctions. It's all over very quickly too. 

Yeah you can view anything you want or order a brochure of the listings you are interested in. 

• Like 1

Forgot to look at the listings for this one prior to the sale. Sort of wish I had - it's curious what gets overlooked in the Fender/Gibson/farted on by famous musician feeding frenzy! A particular guitar I'd have been very interested in sold for about 1/3 what I'd expect on the open market. And then, Dave Gregory's '92 Hohner Revelation RTX went for £550, which is about twice what I'd think mine was worth. Don't know if that's the name musician association, minor mods by Alan Entwistle or what.

But yes, plenty of bargains if you know your weird/unusual stuff, and by the exact same metric, plenty of people overpaying for old tat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Denzel said:

Yep. Came out about £1900 Inc fees. I didn't want to go any further than that. It's always the afterthought...just another £50 would have got it...but that can go on and on with auctions. It's all over very quickly too.

Indeed. Just 50 more quid, and then the person that bought that thought 50 more quid and....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, owen said:

I originally had a bid of 1500 placed, but I costed the extra 26% + whatever the fee for someone to pack and courier it to me would be and I backed out. 

Yep. Very similar scenario. I knew it would be a good buy up to a certain point but was reluctant to go up past 2k for a bass essentially sight unseen. I've seen a D5 go on here for £1500. Of course that was when I didn't have the scratch 😃.

Edited by Denzel

21 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Wow. If the hammer price is what someone paid, even plus 26%, then someone got a Euro Spector for £350+ 26%. Bargain. 

This one?  

Spector four string bass guitar, made in Czech Republic; Finish: natural; Fretboard: rosewood;

...but it isn't a Euro Spector!  It is a Spector made in Europe; a 'Euro Spector' is a NT bass and the fees are 33%.  Still a cheapish bass but I've seen them on ebay just as cheap.  

18 minutes ago, Denzel said:

Yep. Very similar scenario. I knew it would be a good buy up to a certain point but was reluctant to go up past 2k for a bass essentially sight unseen. I've seen a D5 go on here for £1500. Of course that was when I didn't have the scratch 😃.

I set the limit in my head at what I could shift it for easily. That equation did not work on this one. 

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

This one?  

Spector four string bass guitar, made in Czech Republic; Finish: natural; Fretboard: rosewood;

...but it isn't a Euro Spector!  It is a Spector made in Europe; a 'Euro Spector' is a NT bass and the fees are 33%.  Still a cheapish bass but I've seen them on ebay just as cheap.  

Ah I thought the very cheap ones were far East made, not European. 

20 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Do many people go, is it a busy auction house 

It’s absolutely packed! I used to go pre covid. Now I imagine much of the bidding is done online. 

The guys there are good and you can travel down the street before to check things out but you’ll have to take their word for the condition of internals and the integrity of an instrument and its components because understandably you can’t take things apart!

There are lots of dealers who attend, but also some members of the public who want to buy stuff. One guy dressed as a cowboy bid on (and won) some sort of Les Paul which cost him £5k pre commission and he was shouting like he’d won the lottery. That was great to see!

Even if you don’t end up buying or bidding it’s still a great day out and some lovely walks and pubs nearby too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1