Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard mountable amplifiers.

fretmeister

I've been thinking about my big band rig a bit.

It's usually

Bass

Pedal board with Tuner / Filter / Octave / Compressor / wireless (in that order....)

Wireless Receiver

Amp head

Cab.

It's a simple rig. There is never any PA support. It's old school - if the drums are too loud then either he plays more quietly or we add more players of the instruments we can't hear.

However - the places we play tend to be severely lacking in power supplies, or they are far away etc.

I have the wireless because sometimes I'm quite far away from my rig because of small stages and being surrounded by 25 other people. I have a cable into the board, then the wireless at the end sending the signal to the amp, wherever that is.

What I'm thinking is binning the amp head and looking at a pedal board mount amp so I've only got 1 power cable and the amp controls are next to me and not 10 feet away with 5 people in the way. The cab can go anywhere it needs to be then. In a corner at an angle often works well so the band hear it as much as the audience. I keep telling them that ideally I want to be with my amp and be next to the drummer, but sometimes the room / stage just won't be the right shape. I can then just run a long speaker cable to the cab and not worry about needing to get to it during a show.

I am aware of the Ashdown Ant and it would seem to be pretty good (I think 200W would be enough for this) but would be even better if they had included an output for powering pedals as well.

Are there any other options? Ideally in a way I can combine power supplies to power both the amp and the pedals? Is there an amp that will power pedals like this as well?

Or maybe is there a pedal power supply that can also power a pedal board amplifier? Batteries aren't really an option due to the compressor and the wireless. 

Any ideas would be welcome.

Set the amp's volume slightly louder than you'll ever need it to be, then attenuate from the pedalboard. If the final pedal in your chain doesn't have that ability, you can add something like an EHX Signal Pad - or a preamp pedal if you want all the EQ etc.

Not an amp suggestion but a possible solution to the power supply. 
The Li’l moxie converts the output from a typical portable usb power bank to 9v. I use one for a small pedalboard including a Sansamp BDDI and 3/4 Boss pedals. It will easily power more and with a suitable power bank lasts ages. Totally quiet too. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Pedals-Isolated-Rechargeable-Computer/dp/B07PLKPTNC

You could even get an IEC splitter.

However, I still don't completely understand the original problem...  With your current wireless system, you have to run power to the amp, and power to the pedalboard = a total of two cable runs.  If you move to the pedalboard amp system (even if you find an amp which supplies power to the pedals), you have to run power to the pedalboard, and a speaker cable from the pedalboard to the cab = a total of two cable runs i.e. the same amount of cabling.  What difference does it make if it's a power cable or a speaker cable?

144.1.jpg

It’s the RockBoard Power LT XL and they are about £50.00 new with two 1A ( 1000mA) outputs plus cables etc 

You can daisy chain several pedals using the supplied leads 

Andertons have a coloured one in stock but mine is black 

They last about 8hrs from full charge depending on pedal load etc etc

Plus no mains noise either 👍

Edited by BassAdder27

16 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

It’s the RockBoard Power LT XL and they are about £50.00 new with two 1A ( 1000mA) outputs plus cables etc 

You can daisy chain several pedals using the supplied leads 

Andertons have a coloured one in stock but mine is black 

They last about 8hrs from full charge depending on pedal load etc etc

Plus no mains noise either 👍

I'll have a look, thank you.