Why become a member? ×

Rejection dejection

Jakester

44 minutes ago, Judo Chop said:

"Daydreams" is spot on

Mate..... I auditioned a drummer who ended the night by kicking the room door closed as we were leaving, turning out the lights and getting out his glow in the dark drum sticks. In a break he had already told us he wants the stage set up with drum kit at the front and us behind him. He hadn't remotely got the gig even before that comment. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Mate..... I auditioned a drummer who ended the night by kicking the room door closed as we were leaving, turning out the lights and getting out his glow in the dark drum sticks. In a break he had already told us he wants the stage set up with drum kit at the front and us behind him. He hadn't remotely got the gig even before that comment. 

We auditioned for a keyboard player/programmer who told us he also played drums, bass, guitar, trumpet, trombone etc etc. 

When he found out that I played Sax in a few songs he decided that he'd play bass (he'd programme the rest) so the next 30 mins working out where we should all stand on the stage so he could swap instruments and use my bass when necessary. He then decided that he could bring his trombone along to next rehearsal and we could have a brass section on stage too. Again, more time was wasted discussing this....

Needless to say he hadn't bothered learning any of the songs, sight-read everything (badly) and then had a heated conversation with the drummer about tempos. 

This turned out to be his first and last audition/rehearsal with us funnily enough. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

And you didn't immediately hire him after that? Why ever not 😂

See Jakester you have nothing to worry about, at least you didn't inflict a near fatal dose of cringe on them like Mr. Glowsticks

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Judo Chop said:

And you didn't immediately hire him after that? Why ever not 😂

See Jakester you have nothing to worry about, at least you didn't inflict a near fatal dose of cringe on them like Mr. Glowsticks

Yeah, he told us he had a Britney style headset mic so he can do lead vocal on one or two songs... 

What a mistake we made passing him up.... 

46 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

We auditioned for a keyboard player/programmer who told us he also played drums, bass, guitar, trumpet, trombone etc etc. 

When he found out that I played Sax in a few songs he decided that he'd play bass (he'd programme the rest) so the next 30 mins working out where we should all stand on the stage so he could swap instruments and use my bass when necessary. He then decided that he could bring his trombone along to next rehearsal and we could have a brass section on stage too. Again, more time was wasted discussing this....

He could well be the guitarist form my 80s project... Wanted to play synths instead. Owned a £2500 Nord. Couldn't actually play though. 

15 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Yeah, he told us he had a Britney style headset mic so he can do lead vocal on one or two songs... 

What a mistake we made passing him up.... 

Sounds just like my brother, used to be very keen on using his Britney mic and singing and not so keen on less important things like learning the songs

He had glow in the dark sticks too

Drummers 🤔

• Like 1

Just now, Old Horse Murphy said:

You mean there's more than one?! 😂

I've never met a keys player who can actually play. They all have expensive gear and moan like nobody's business about poor PA equipment etc but when it comes time to actually, you know, play the song... Suddenly Billy "my keyboard is bigger than yours" is a bit quieter. 

31 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I've never met a keys player who can actually play. They all have expensive gear and moan like nobody's business about poor PA equipment etc but when it comes time to actually, you know, play the song... Suddenly Billy "my keyboard is bigger than yours" is a bit quieter. 

I’ve been lucky enough to play with 3 very talented keys players, one of whom has become a very close friend. However, he had to be ‘told’ a few times in our early days…

83B946B0-E36B-4F80-BE6A-5553301D9ECE.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve been lucky enough to play with 3 very talented keys players, one of whom has become a very close friend. However, he had to be ‘told’ a few times in our early days…

83B946B0-E36B-4F80-BE6A-5553301D9ECE.jpeg

Our current keyboard player is ace. Very understated but sits there like an organist at a funeral when he doesn't have anything to play! 

A previous keyboard player we had was good too but suffered from the Dawsons at moments it really mattered, such as really important prominent riffs. Good job he had a sense of humour as he got much abuse for it. 

The best keyboard player I had the pleasure of playing with is an older guy from Edinburgh called Campbell. He's a superb jazz pianist and I always find my playing improves when I play with him. On occasion when he's solo'd I've actually forgotten to play as I get that captivated by what he's playing. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I must be very lucky, the keyboard player in my current band is very good, gets all the right sounds and keeps out of the way of the bass. And a few bands ago our very own @TransistorBassManwas on keys, again can only say good words about his abilities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

again I'm lucky here too. I work with an extremely talented keys player. He can programme, sequence and really play. Also gets all the right sounds (important for the 80s stuff)

As previously said, it might come back to you Jake

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 09:12, Jakester said:

I suppose the moral of the story is learn the part more. I was close, and I can hear the solo in my head, I just couldn't quite execute when it came to it! 

After the first rejection, I don't know if it would have been worth explaining to them that you felt you had not prepared the part enough, and begging for a second consideration?

It sounds like they had some positive vibes about you, and after all, I understand refusing to accept rejection is an essential part of the music business?

4 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Any chance of a DNA sample? 

Err, I can spit in a tissue or take a pin to my finger if you want. Oh, I see, from the keyboard players I mentioned. Are you cloning band members? Just when you thought BC couldn’t get weirder 😆.  Sadly, they’re all about 500 miles south of me these days, but I could ask if they wouldn’t mind (hmm, on second thoughts that’s just wrong).

• Haha 1

On 09/09/2021 at 10:25, Hellzero said:

I feel for you. It happened to me once, but not because of slap, because I made an audition with a fretless for a heavy stoner band...

Did you tell them it was fretless or did they notice themselves? The covers band I'm with, that I told I played fretless when I started, noticed that I played fretless after a year.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

Did you tell them it was fretless or did they notice themselves? The covers band I'm with, that I told I played fretless when I started, noticed that I played fretless after a year.

I played fretless with my last band. We did a load of AC/DC, Lizzy and similar. I turned up with a fretless for the audition and used it at every gig. No-one ever said a word.

• 3 weeks later...