Why become a member? ×

ID this bass tone

AxelF

Was listening to a video for the NUX preamp today and was blown away by the tone. I had one in my basket ready to pull the trigger and then the boring rational inside voice realised that the pedal is off at the start and it's the tone of the bass that I'm loving. Sadly there's nothing in the description to say what the bass/signal chain is - to my very inexpert ears it sounds unlikely that that's just a dry bass signal and that there's probably some low end eq boost and maybe some compression on it too? 

In the futile attempt to describe sounds with words, to my ears it sounds deep and fat, yet articulate and punchy - exactly what I'm after! If I had to guess I'd say maybe jazz pickups, active, bass boosted with compression? Probably waaaay off though - what does anyone think, is this a fairly standard tone/easy to replicate? Thanks in advance..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ped said:

60s spacing jazz bass 👍🏼 

Active or passive would you say? Seems to me that it has a lot more low end than I usually associate with a jazz especially when the preamp is set flat. Possibly has other effects/tone shaping before the NUX do you think?

1 minute ago, AxelF said:

Active or passive would you say? Seems to me that it has a lot more low end than I usually associate with a jazz especially when the preamp is set flat. Possibly has other effects/tone shaping before the NUX do you think?

Hard to say as a lot of that might be down to the way it’s recorded and processed. Sounds like a low action giving a nice growl, fairly heavy attack and I should think there’s some limiting going on at some stage. The nice thing about playing and recording through headphones is you hear a lot more of the instrument than you do through a speaker, especially at home. 

• Like 1

Looks like the pedal is on all the way through the video, just with everything set to noon, so the pedal might be altering the tone, even though it’s set to ‘neutral’.

Most folks put a drop of compression on their audio tracks before uploading too, then of course there’s the YouTube compression, so without a list of exactly what equipment and plugins they used we’ll never know. 
I suppose we’ll all just have to keep buying and trading kit to find THAT tone.

shame. 😄

• Like 3

I don't see any point in doing anything other than directing this question at the creator of the video.  I see that someone already asked that and got roundly ignored but maybe if you ask nicer than they did - or message them on insta, seeing as they left a link to that?

Asking here will just end up with the bass equivalent of the verbal diarrhoea one might expect at a blind wine or whisky tasting.  100% subjective, 10% lucky guesses and in this case the labels have been ripped off the bottles so we'll never really know what we're drinking, and the host ain't telling.

• Haha 2

Being serious that growl can be achieved by altering the action/neck it’s a knife edge between that rasp and full fret-buzz. 
Just got to play around with it. 
The tone I can get from my stingray bass’ by rolling off the tone a bit and using more flesh with the fingers on the right hand toward the bridge. 
Play a little lighter with the left hand and slide into them notes. 

• Like 1

The clip credits Soundfiles and Video to someone called Rainer Wind (can't be his real name, can it?😀) On further investigation, Rainer Wind is a German bass player who demos loads of stuff on line. He demos a G&L Jazz Bass which sounds very similar to the OPs clip.

*removes deerstalker*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1