Why become a member? ×

NBD - Musicman

drTStingray

14 hours ago, WinterMute said:

I've got one of those too, 20th Anniversary, best SR5 ever made IMO.

IMG_6515.jpeg

Agreed - the SR5 20th Anniversary is a great bass (I think the mahogany tone block affects the tone - mahogany works very well with Musicman basses (30th Anniversary Stingray and my mahog bodied Sabre are other cases of this)

3 hours ago, martthebass said:

It is, finally managed to get another Status after letting my Streamline go some years back.

Fabulous bass - love the white LEDs

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 21:43, dub_junkie said:

Very nice! 

my first ever Bongo was a white 4HS way back in 2005. Even the regular production white ones were/are rare. 

Indeed - very rare. They didn’t make them for long - something to do with difficulties matching the neck colour to the body - which isn’t a problem on mine. 

On 10/09/2021 at 09:49, Musicman20 said:

That is stunning. I imagine a lot cheaper buying direct as well.

It seems like the concept of a dealer is slowly disappearing. 

I think it’s just another option, cheaper than via a dealer - standard spec instruments aren’t available through direct sales (The Vault) though. 

18 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool stuff, first the Timmy C, now the Bongo BFR, maybe this one next?

As we all know, all good things come in threes 😉 

T1.thumb.jpg.1b79d88ffaa3b720e7be8220d610b2a7.jpg

RE1.thumb.jpg.6368c4c946f84342046170b810ea9ba4.jpg

HT.jpg.e3f101378320da18f591bc29191d5d3d.jpg

Wow - that’s very nice indeed (if somewhat expensive 😳) - however I won’t be buying any more basses for the foreseeable!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Agreed - the SR5 20th Anniversary is a great bass (I think the mahogany tone block affects the tone - mahogany works very well with Musicman basses (30th Anniversary Stingray and my mahog bodied Sabre are other cases of this)

I can't find a fretless 20th Anni anywhere, they only made 30 I believe.

I'm having Alan at ACG make me a fretless with the mahogany core and swamp ash body in the hope it'll have some of the same characteristics as the 20th Anni TBH it'll be an awesome bass even if it doesn't, his stuff is so good.

21 hours ago, WinterMute said:

I can't find a fretless 20th Anni anywhere, they only made 30 I believe.

I'm having Alan at ACG make me a fretless with the mahogany core and swamp ash body in the hope it'll have some of the same characteristics as the 20th Anni TBH it'll be an awesome bass even if it doesn't, his stuff is so good.

That sounds interesting - will you be having a filter EQ?

22 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

This sounds familiar.  Good luck with that 😉 

Oh yes I know - however I haven’t looked at any on line bass shops since receiving these new basses haha!! 😁

• Like 1

On 11/09/2021 at 13:39, drTStingray said:

Fabulous bass - love the white LEDs

I have one of the HH 20th Anni models. Fantastic bass, so versatile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

That sounds interesting - will you be having a filter EQ?

yes, looking forward to playing with it, unusually for me I'm having 2 pickups, neck is ceramic and bridge is alnico, both pushed right back like my old Thumb or some of the Wals, should be a bit of a tone monster.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 17:04, WinterMute said:

yes, looking forward to playing with it, unusually for me I'm having 2 pickups, neck is ceramic and bridge is alnico, both pushed right back like my old Thumb or some of the Wals, should be a bit of a tone monster.

Sounds great - you’ll have to post some pics when you get it. 

On 12/09/2021 at 12:46, Eldon Tyrell said:

I don't have any bass gear funds left for this year, but I am still on the hunt and happy to plunder our savings for this one, just cannot find one anywhere 😞

2001532496_EBMMStingrayClassic.thumb.jpg.6611de9aa100b1b23e2c0631d65ddc9b.jpg

They seem to be extremely rare - I’ve already got three natural Stingrays (SR4 3 band with rosewood; SR5 with maple and the TC passive with ebony). The natural Classic Stingray is a thing of beauty. 

Im really loving this Bongo however - such a fast action I’m getting into playing upper register lines across the whole fretboard. 

I see @Old Horse Murphy has already cracked in his quest to not buy any more basses - I will confess to having had a look around but absolutely no likelihood of anything new…….well for several years!! 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drTStingray said:

They seem to be extremely rare - I’ve already got three natural Stingrays (SR4 3 band with rosewood; SR5 with maple and the TC passive with ebony). The natural Classic Stingray is a thing of beauty. 

Im really loving this Bongo however - such a fast action I’m getting into playing upper register lines across the whole fretboard. 

I see @Old Horse Murphy has already cracked in his quest to not buy any more basses - I will confess to having had a look around but absolutely no likelihood of anything new…….well for several years!! 😁

I'm claiming mitigating circumstances here! If my wife hadn't forcibly twisted my arm I'd never have bought it. It was the decent thing to do and I was clearly only thinking of her feelings....ahem.

In truth I think before she'd actually got the words out I'd already phoned them to pay for it. I'm never one to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I'm claiming mitigating circumstances here! If my wife hadn't forcibly twisted my arm I'd never have bought it. It was the decent thing to do and I was clearly only thinking of her feelings....ahem.

In truth I think before she'd actually got the words out I'd already phoned them to pay for it. I'm never one to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

I recognise this scenario, it’s happened to me twice. Once, was post the wife receiving a bonus from work, the words, “You can buy a new guitar,” were uttered and I was out shopping the same day. Another time, I was looking at a Stingray (coincidentally) and the words, “If you like it, get it,” were uttered and I pressed the buy it now button not long after (I had to check in case it was a trap 🤣). I no longer have either of the purchases.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I recognise this scenario, it’s happened to me twice. Once, was post the wife receiving a bonus from work, the words, “You can buy a new guitar,” were uttered and I was out shopping the same day. Another time, I was looking at a Stingray (coincidentally) and the words, “If you like it, get it,” were uttered and I pressed the buy it now button not long after (I had to check in case it was a trap 🤣). I no longer have either of the purchases.

my wife refuses to buy me/give me money towards presents if it's a guitar/bass as she knows that a few months down the line it's likely to have gone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Those mitigating circumstances sound very good to me 😀 the G and L looks nice as well - enjoy. 

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

The only bass I (currently) have that has financial-emotional strings attached is my Chris Wolstenholme sig Status. My mum gave me some birthday money shortly before she died and this part funded the bass. I think I’d really struggle to part with it now even if I didn’t like it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

The only bass I (currently) have that has financial-emotional strings attached is my Chris Wolstenholme sig Status. My mum gave me some birthday money shortly before she died and this part funded the bass. I think I’d really struggle to part with it now even if I didn’t like it.

My black P Bass is the same for me Mart. My family chipped in and each gave me some money towards it, including my Grandad who passed away not too long afterwards. It's the only Bass I own that I could never part with. 

It's not worth a lot and has definitely seen some action, but I don't have to think about anything when I play it. It's an extension of me now and music just sort of happens. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

@drTStingray - I have just one thing to say: "hubba-flippin'-hubba!!" 👍😎👍

Thanks @Stingray5 - it most certainly is. My favourite 5 string (although I really love my Stingray 5s also!).

Being so light and also the shape of the Bongo is so ergonomic, it feels very very easy to play - the stuff of dreams haha!! Not sure when it’s going to get a gig though currently 😕

• Like 1