Why become a member? ×

Help needed - Identifying a double bass

dazza14

Hello, I'm hoping someone from the extensive double bass playing community can help me here.

I'm trying to identify - or at least get some extra information - on a DB I've found for sale online.

The seller says there is no sticker on the inside of the bass to help identify it, so I'm hoping someone could shed some light.

I know it's very difficult to know the make but it would help if I could eliminate certain makers based on colour or shape or anything (I mean if Gear4Music didn't make a double bass in this colour then that is a start at least).

I'm asking the seller questions but he bought it wanting to play bass and knew very little about it so the info is sketchy.

Please help. 

bass.jpg

Double basses are not like bass guitars.  The make is not really important, it's all about how they feel and sound to you.  The provenance of most basses is a mystery.  Some of the world's best basses are from unknown makers.

Usually you can tell the region it came from and the likely age.  My own bass is certainly German, maybe from Markneukirchen maybe Dresden, around 1890 ish, maker unknown.  One I nearly bought ( for £10,000 !!!) was "likely English but maybe hungarian, most likely 1900 to 1910".

If you like it and can afford it, just buy it.  But try lots to get a feel for what you want and how much that will cost.

Fwiw that bass looks like a laminated one, so likely Eastern European, but maybe Chinese. we'd need more photos to say more!