Why become a member? ×

Steve Severin's Wal Bass on eBay (again?)

TheGreek

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This bass was just sold by Bass Bros.  But they couldn’t answer the question I’ve always had about Severin’s Wal.  He used one on “Nocturne”, but it was black and had a natural color headstock.  Then this one showed up when he appeared on The Tube promoting “Hyena”.  So was this bass the Nocturne bass with (possibly) a new custom neck?  No one seems to know.  I remember an interview in Modern Musician when he talked about no longer using the Wal(s), but I don’t remember if it was actually plural.  

On a somewhat related subject, although Wal’s have an almost legendary reputation, it’s hard to find a player from the early days of the company who still use their old Wal, or used it for a an extended amount of significant time.  Though I’m sure there are examples.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marcray said:

This bass was just sold by Bass Bros.  But they couldn’t answer the question I’ve always had about Severin’s Wal.  He used one on “Nocturne”, but it was black and had a natural color headstock.  Then this one showed up when he appeared on The Tube promoting “Hyena”.  So was this bass the Nocturne bass with (possibly) a new custom neck?  No one seems to know.  I remember an interview in Modern Musician when he talked about no longer using the Wal(s), but I don’t remember if it was actually plural.  

On a somewhat related subject, although Wal’s have an almost legendary reputation, it’s hard to find a player from the early days of the company who still use their old Wal, or used it for a an extended amount of significant time.  Though I’m sure there are examples.  

I think Mick Karn was still using his until the end (the recordings with Japan were mainly with a Travis Bean of course), though in general I’d agree with you re early Wal players moving onto other basses.

I’ve only seen pics of Severin with the black headstock Wal - I’m sure the provenance for the OP bass is lost in the mists of time.....

2FB2B600-1F50-4094-8FE1-DE95263CD9BF.jpeg