Why become a member? ×

spatial awareness (hearing)

Killed_by_Death

Can you hear stereo most of the time?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Can you hear stereo most of the time?

• always
    • most of the time
    • sometimes
    • almost never

2 hours ago, cheddatom said:

great thread guys, 3/5 is underselling it

The guitarist in one of my bands is totally deaf in one ear. There's a device you can get, a mic that goes on your deaf side, connected to a hearing aid type thing on your working side, and it's supposed to sort it out for you. He tried it at the audiologists and was amazed. Then he tried it in real life situations such as in a jam or down the pub, and it was worse than useless, totally disorientating. It must work for some people, so maybe worth a go for you @Killed_by_Death?

I woke up one morning completely deaf in my left ear.

This was rather distressing, but the most extraordinary experience was my brain trying to compensate with my working right ear.

There was a weird delay/phase effect that magnified over the course of 48 hours as my brain "learned" how to interpret sounds from my left side.

Fortunately My ear was just jammed with wax following two weeks of wearing ear plugs at work and my hearing returned over the course of a fortnight. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

wonder why you were banned

There is no wonder at all, 1 of these folks bullied me for years about my hearing & then has the cheek to come here & try to justify it.

Then another just decides to lump on, because bullying a single person as a team is more fun, isn't it?

How it's difficult for anyone to see who the bad actor in this scenario is beyond my comprehension.

7 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

There is no wonder at all, 1 of these folks bullied me for years about my hearing & then has the cheek to come here & try to justify it.

Then another just decides to lump on, because bullying a single person as a team is more fun, isn't it?

How it's difficult for anyone to see who the bad actor in this scenario is beyond my comprehension.

I wasn't bullying you, I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings though

9 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

bullied me for years about my hearing & then has the cheek to come here & try to justify it.

You came here and brought it up bud. All I ever do is help where I can and joke about a bit. Your hearing doesn't qualify you to opine on matters of tone. Sad but true. You refused to.accept that. Too bad.

All I said at the start of this was unbalanced hearing loss might well be impacting your stereo definition, and you crack the shizen. That's all you. 

1 hour ago, Woodwind said:

Fortunately My ear was just jammed with wax following two weeks of wearing ear plugs at work and my hearing returned over the course of a fortnight. 

I went for a professional ear-cleaning right before that hearing test that I posted. A nurse cleaned them with Peroxide.

That arvo at home I plugged into a newly purchased G-K amp & it sounded like rapid-fire farting with the Gain turned up, I couldn't believe how awful it sounded.

Luckily it was within the return-period, so that's exactly what I did & haven't even looked at G-K since.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I raised the possibility of more loss in one ear than the other because that could affect your stereo resolution. Understanding can lead to less frustration.

This is all I took your post as and I’ll admit was a bit non-plussed by the response, but I guess a sensitive point is a sensitive point. 

Plus I didn’t know about any previous discussions…..

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I didn’t know about any previous discussions…..

Here is just one:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-mb200-or-genz-benz-shuttle-3-0.1293828/page-2#post-20223546

It went on like that at every opportunity from the "hearing police".

I could find more, but it seems the hearing police were discretely banned there.

Anyway, you can imagine the level of irony when I post about a hearing issue here & Lo & Behold a person from my past who has harassed me about those same issues appears innocent at first & then doubles down with justifying their bad behaviour instead of taking the chance to apologize. It's too late to apologize now.

I may be mad as a hatter, but I don't go around laughing at people with a disability that they have no control over.

I'm just recovering from an infection in my right ear. For the first few days everything on that side sounded like there was a ring modulator on it. I found it very disorientating, especially in situations with a lot of background noise. You have my sympathy! 3 weeks on and it's almost back to normal, which is a massive releif, as I make a chunk of my living as a producer

The bassist in my band admits he can't hear any treble, pretty much nothing over 10Khz, so when he tries to disparage my choice of cymbals, I rightly disparage his hearing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

especially in situations with a lot of background noise. You have my sympathy! 3 weeks on

That's another issue I have. If I'm in an environment with background Music or just general din of the crowd, even if a person stand right by me, they almost have to scream for me to comprehend what they're saying.

7 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

The bassist in my band admits he can't hear any treble, pretty much nothing over 10Khz,

As you see from my hearing test on the first page, my hearing in general isn't all that bad, it's just that there is some cognitive problem or summat as it relates to discerning frequencies, spatial awareness.

Tinnitus comes around sometimes, after seeing a band live or even just getting a good surround sound on the TV. One weekend recently & got my TV's internal 2.2 Surround speakers working together with the 2.1 soundbar & it was great, but that night I couldn't sleep, thanks to the ringing.

The bass players on the other forum cry out loud when another bass player dares to use overdrive, or so I learned, LOL

Playing chords is also not allowed.

4 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I took one of those online hearing tests with quality headphones & could hear from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which surprised me.

If you're over 30 and can hear 20Khz I'd be very surprised indeed! 

EDIT: when I used to gig on bass I'd be taking at least 5 dirty pedals with me, so we're definitely in agreement there!

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how these Samson headphones do it, but they seem to amplify, maybe it's the low Impedance.

3 hours ago, Supernaut said:

You wonder why you were banned from Talkbass.

I doubt DUW wonders at all, but it is in their tag. Seems fitting.

It's not apparent & discretely done, but you nailed it, DUW was banned.

Just now, Killed_by_Death said:

I'm not sure how these Samson headphones do it, but they seem to amplify, maybe it's the low Impedance.

This site: https://decibelhearing.com/high-frequency-hearing-loss/

Says "17,400 Hz is a frequency that only teenagers can hear. Most people over the age of 18 cannot hear this tone "

Having said that, I'm 36 and I just played the example there and could hear it on my headphones

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

DUW was banned.

I copped a few suspensions over the years but nothing about you ever got so much as a mod caution.

I can still log in afaik. I just prefer the scene here amongst the genuine geniality that doesn't go full emo over a bit of cheeky banter. Brits only do that with their friends!

20 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Your hearing doesn't qualify you to opine on matters of tone. Sad but true

As a hearing professional this is highly unlikely based on the results of the hearing test posted above. They show very mild hearing loss up to the 4 kHz, and that one can be attributed to age related wear. Nothing there would even indicate monitoring by an ENT.

Suggest you let people be people.

The ability to perceive stereo or not might be evolutionary, perhaps a bit like colour blindness (which also manifests in different variations). Perhaps general hearing was sometimes more useful than directional hearing, who knows.

Edited by Bolo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bolo said:

As a hearing professional this is highly unlikely based on the results of the hearing test posted above

Wish you had been around on TB to witness the debacle as it unfolded. I didn't know a 20dB deficit can be made up by the brain. Regardless, something is going on past 4kHz when bizzare levels of distortion completely dominated all tracks when some were supposedly clean.

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Wish you had been around on TB to witness the debacle as it unfolded. I didn't know a 20dB deficit can be made up by the brain. Regardless, something is going on past 4kHz when bizzare levels of distortion completely dominated all tracks when some were supposedly clean.

It's possible that higher frequencies not listed have greater attenuation (or 'loss') and distortion levels stayed below that threshold. I'd have to see recent and more elaborate test results and know more about the testing protocols that were followed.

Many hearing test focus on the speech spectrum, the frequencies that contain 99.8% of speech information. Roughly 125 Hz - 8000 Hz, with emphasis between 500-4000 Hz.

I’ve lost high frequencies which is typical of getting older. According to my wife who has Six Million Dollar hearing, I’m deaf because I can’t hear things she can. Including her sometimes. But generally I don’t have any serious loss of hearing that requires sticking any form of technology in my ears, which I’m pleased about as some friends of my age have two aids.

4 hours ago, Bolo said:

Suggest you let people be people.

That apparently is't possible for the blunder, & they just won't back off of it,

instead of being ashamed of their actions, like any normal human.

The context of it is right there in the posts I linked to previously.

You're right though, my hearing isn't so bad as to disqualify me from having a valid opinion.

• ped locked this topic