Why become a member? ×

spatial awareness (hearing)

Killed_by_Death

Can you hear stereo most of the time?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Can you hear stereo most of the time?

• always
    • most of the time
    • sometimes
    • almost never

My hearing isn't the greatest, I'm about as tone-deaf as a person can get who still enjoys Music, but lately I'm being reminded that my spatial awareness is just gone.

If one of our smoke-alarms starts beeping, I can stand directly between them & still have no clue which one it is.

Last weekend a cricket snuck in here & at dusk it started chirping & driving me mad. I couldn't determine where it was!

I have a Dolby 5.1.2 Surround-Sound setup, but it's kind of lost on me, a left/right sound needs to be quite louder than the fronts or center to get my attention.

Related directly to that is my perception of Stereo Music. It's very rare that I can hear that it's Stereo.

Recently I've been listening to Music with headphones while I read & it's obviously more apparent then, but when driving my automobile, I can almost never hear a separation.

If you had mentioned the hearing loss before posting videos and discussing the finer points of amp overdrive settings things would have gone differently. As I recall all the vids were crazy distorted while your hearing didn't go high enough to hear any of the angry wasps in can noises that dominated. Some of the feedback might have been a bit pointy but I was disappointed you pulled all the vids. They would have been a good place to point youngsters who are buying rigs but and joining bands but haven't bought earplugs yet.

Subsequently you were opining on finer points of someone's distortion pedal choices so I piped up that you should be adding an advisory your hearing was shagged.

• Haha 1

Ah well, at least I didn't go to the lengths to modify things to fit a 7.2.4 Surround-Sound system in here, the 5.1.2 was easy enough, just two satellite speakers that fit almost anywhere.

TBH all my senses have suffered after Desert Storm: smell, hearing, taste. I can't even do Math as well as before. I used to be able to do complicated Math in my head, it amazed my teachers.

It's bad enough to have an issue like this, but there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. I can hear well enough not to need hearing aids.

I assumed Musicians would understand & maybe even be sympathetic, but it's more like apathy, which is growing in me daily.

Just be glad you're not handicapped, but there is Karma.

2 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

It's bad enough to have an issue like this, but there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. I can hear well enough not to need hearing aids.

I assumed Musicians would understand & maybe even be sympathetic, but it's more like apathy, which is growing in me daily.

Just be glad you're not handicapped, but there is Karma.

You don't know anything about me, what are you basing your assumption that I'm not handicapped on?

You need a thinking aid never mind a hearing aid

• Haha 1

great thread guys, 3/5 is underselling it

The guitarist in one of my bands is totally deaf in one ear. There's a device you can get, a mic that goes on your deaf side, connected to a hearing aid type thing on your working side, and it's supposed to sort it out for you. He tried it at the audiologists and was amazed. Then he tried it in real life situations such as in a jam or down the pub, and it was worse than useless, totally disorientating. It must work for some people, so maybe worth a go for you @Killed_by_Death?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

so, 4 out of 5 CAN hear stereo, & of course me being the single person who usually can't

You fine folks feel free to make fun of my disability for the rest of the week, Adios!

I raised the possibility of more loss in one ear than the other because that could affect your stereo resolution. Understanding can lead to less frustration and a happier KBD. Or not.

So you take that as a personal attack. Whatever. I provided a bit of background for the benefit of the locals.

I haven't been making fun of you. Perhaps you confuse my general jocularity with taking the pish out of yourself.

I am not putting you down. I did draw the line at letting people think your sound qualities of pedal advice was worth a tin of beans. I make no apology for that.

Electronic whizzbangery might help your home theatre sound resolution. Dead set.

The hearing aid people are all over the TV advertising here with free consultations. Probably same everywhere in the Wealthy West? That hearing test you posted must be 3 years old by now. Have at it, you never know what they might be able to do for you.

As to tracking down the crickets for eviction, a cardboard tube is quite a good direction finder. When it is pointed at the invader you get it loudest.

Ime of NZ cicadas the little bastards shut up as soon as you get within striking distance. They used to hang in the shrubbery under my bedroom window when I was a kid making it impossible to get to sleep. I had to do about 5 stages of approach, wait stock still until he started singing again, approach, etc until I could locate. Hopefully easier in your house with tube. Suggest triangulation. Either that or pyrethrin.