Why become a member? ×

PJB CAB 67 experience? 6x7”

Jazzjames

Dear all,

I just saw this new Phil Jones Bass 6x7" cab, but can't find any info about players' experiences with it.

I'm currently running an Ampeg SVT 7 Pro into Greenboy F112 with good results, but I'm just curious about this cab from PJB.

Do you think it would be an improvement in any area over the F112 or just bigger and bulkier?!

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

p.s. I also posted this on TB but as of yet, no replies.

I have 2 x Cab 47s that i use single or together, i'd imagine running the two cabs would be similar to the Cab 67. 

Very efficient and plenty of low end, not the lightest cabs in the world, running the 8x7 mini stack covers most gigs. I call it my mini 8x10 haha

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. Regarding F112 vs Cab 67, the combines surface area of the 6x7” drivers is about 70% more than the F112’s, and only 20% smaller than that of a 4x10.

I know surface area isn’t the only spec to consider, but this cab does pack a lot of speaker area into a small(ish) space.

Edited by Jazzjames

Are you just speculating about this or thinking of a purchase? If you fancy one of these cabs then they are different beasts all together. The Fearless is really a frfr speaker with great drivers and a decent crossover. It'll give you a really honest sound up to significantly High levels. The PJB is an unusual design which makes little sense in purely theoretical terms (why 7's, why put them side by side) but PJB make well loved speakers so just because they are quirky it doesn't mean they sound bad. The only way to find out is to try them.

As you've pointed out cone area is a factor but only one. If you want some discussion of the design implications of multiple small drivers then that is a different issue

• Like 1

I've used a lot of PJB cabs over the years, they are great things indeed. I find them best for a very articulate, hifi type sound. Also, if you are looking to go lighter, take a look at the GR AeroTech range, I've recently bought their 1200w 4x10 cab (a mere 15kg) and their 500w 2x8 cab (8kg). They are fantastic transparent cabs and weigh nothing. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Are you just speculating about this or thinking of a purchase? 

I already have a Fearless F112 which I do really enjoy, just wondering if the PJB would have any advantages, whether they be tone, volume, punch...  The cabs are not dissimilar in size, and the weight of the PJB is still very manageable.

In the F112you have one of the best bass speakers around. We've done shootouts of 12's including one of BC's favourite contenders and it's still the standard by which we'd judge other cabs. I don't think anyone is being funny about your cab, objectively it is one of the best cabs around.

There are advantages of having multiple drivers but PJB have sacrificed at least one by putting them side by side. I suspect they are just meeting demand for a bigger version from people who like the sound of their 7's, nothing wrong with that of course. If you want a more coloured sound or just have an itch you need to scratch then I'd try before you buy.

• Thanks 1

Update:  I acquired one of these CAB 67s and took it out for what turned out to be a pretty loud gig with relatively hard hitting drummer last night in medium-sized but loud room.  It kicks hard, and has a great sound stage, making the bass sound a feel 3D.  I had to turn the bass knob way back on the amp compared to how I use the Greenboy F112 (amp is an SVT 7 Pro) because I was relatively close to the back wall, but it was easy to get a clear sound.  I didn't really have to think about it all night, which is what I want from a setup.  I got the Ampeg warmth and baked in sound from the amp, and a good responsive, even reproduction from the cab.

It is heavier than some cabs, but the three handles plus the wheels made it easy to move around.  At 24kg it's really not difficult to lift up or carry one handed for short distances, for example over a doorstep.  Even though it's taller than an F112, it takes up a similar amount of space in the car, and I was able to fit the cab, amp, pedal board and cable bag into the boot of my Leon fine just as usual.

• Like 3