Why become a member? ×

PJ Pickup Set : Your Recommendations...

PaulThePlug

Something on my mind...

Need a cheap PJ Set... Thinking 

Wilkinson 4 Strings PB electric bass Guitar Pickup four strings P bass Humbucker pickups WOPB+WOJB @ £20 from AliExpress

Any other recommendations, or anyone with something sitting in a draw or parts tin following an upgrade?

Ta...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Probably going in the wrong direction sound (and looks) wise, but if SD 1/4 Pounds are your thing then the Entwistle PBXN & JBXN pickups are fantastic. I actually prefer them to the 1/4 pounds as they have that same feel but not quite so scooped, a bit more middy. 

Excellent value rather than 'cheap'. 😉👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had Entwistle PJs in my bitsa. It was acceptable. Then I put DiMarzio model P and model J in and the bass is freakin awesome. Pickups are something I'd try not to save cost on myself. 

Be warned, Entwistle P pups are slightly wider than most so you can end up having to widen the route out. Not great if you replace them later! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I had Entwistle PJs in my bitsa. It was acceptable. Then I put DiMarzio model P and model J in and the bass is freakin awesome. Pickups are something I'd try not to save cost on myself. 

Be warned, Entwistle P pups are slightly wider than most so you can end up having to widen the route out. Not great if you replace them later! 

Was that the standard ones or the neos? 

I find the neos very very close to the SD 1/4 pound pickups. But the 1/4 pounds are a marmite pickup I suppose. 

Also mine have dropped straight in on both Precisions I fitted them to, they are deeper due to the large magnets but luckily my cavities allowed for this. 

There's definitely better pickups around, but on a budget I think they're one of the best. 

Horses for courses though, and not traditional P sound. 

At the moment my favourite budget pickup supplier is Warman. They do some fantastic stuff at very reasonable prices. The Stingray copy I used is superb. 

11 hours ago, Maude said:

Was that the standard ones or the neos? 

I find the neos very very close to the SD 1/4 pound pickups. But the 1/4 pounds are a marmite pickup I suppose. 

They were the PBX and JBX I think, so i assume these are the standard ones. They were OK and I think they cost me about 45 quid maybe. I went cheap to see if the bitsa was viable then very quickly realised that "buy cheap, buy twice" definitely rang true.  I had to widen the P route for them, and I'd had to widen other screw holes in the body too so didn't think anything of it until I upgraded the pups and now I've got some big gaps to fill or cover up, sadly. 

• Like 1

I'd go Entwisle ceramics, of which im an admirer.  Reasonable output, a tone somewhere between classic and modern, and just a little but of grit to them.

Ive also used Warmans and mpbeen reasonably pleased, but don't have as much experience with them.

Edited by Bassfinger

Warman pickups are great, Josi is a nice bloke and good to deal with.

Alternatively, shop around for used.  If you're like the majority of GAS-suffering bassists, if you buy cheapish you're always going to be wondering what something different will give you.

I bought a used P/J EMG Geezer Butler set recently, no buyer's remorse, reasonably hot/high output; the solder-free looms make fitting very easy too.