Why become a member? ×

Sale of Basschat.co.uk (April Fools!! :P)

Kiwi

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='450994' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:02 AM']Ped and I have been approached by a well known bass publication and have recieved a cash offer plus a percentage on advertising in return for signing over the forum database and Basschat brand. We've thought long and hard about it and decided that with the personal attacks we've both had to put up with in the past and the limited funding we get from the site, its probably for the best.

So from May 1st, Basschat will have new owners. The advertising and direct marketing will probably increase quite a bit but, simply put, the forum has to pay its way. Essentially you'll all see Basschat transformed from a voluntary effort to a grounded business. We'll be keeping the same moderating team and staying on as advisors for a few months but after that it will be up to the new owners.

We'd like to thank you all for your support and contributions over the years and hope the forum continues to grow and improve.[/quote]
If it is a joke... :rolleyes: , if not.... :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='451047' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:10 AM']A bit of a shock but really well deserved for the guys. I hope you made a good whack Kiwi and Ped.[/quote]

No we didn't unfortunately. They offered us £1500, mainly because they said this forum has too many difficult members compared to some of the other forums out there that they had looked at. However Basschat has size in its favour, so there we go.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='451161' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:26 AM']No we didn't unfortunately. They offered us £1500, mainly because they said this forum has too many difficult members compared to some of the other forums out there that they had looked at. However Basschat has size in its favour, so there we go.[/quote]

Difficult members...! Oh OK, give me the £1500 and I'll leave. :)

I hope they don't make the same mistake that TWO/Magicalia did with Visordown.
They introduced their own forum software and demanded an opt out of promos and made whole areas of the site subscription only.......
That was horrible. Everyone deserted and set up their own place.

Edit: hook line sinker - but i've seen it happen too often for real

Edited by Twigman

hahahaha, i fell for that and it's very annoying as i've done so before.

bit a newbie around here, but my "other forum" did a similar trick last year by putting up specialized adverts all over the place (it was a cycling forum) but in that case the thread got well into the 10th page before anyone worked it out. everyone who worked guessed should have kept it to themselves and wound everyone else up, the fun that could have been had, well there's always next year.......