Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT3 Pro parallel speakers

unclespats

I’ve got an Ampeg 210 Pro Neo 550w 8ohm cab and just about to get a GK cX115 300w 8 ohm cab.

I want to get max ouptut from my SVT 3 Pro which I understand will be with a load of 4 ohm, so I need to put the cabs in parallel.

my question is this - if I just plug one cab into each speaker output on the amp, will this put them in parallel?

Thanks in advance!

Yep. Hopefully 1 plus 1 equals 2 with regard to the cabs sounding good together.

If you get a real bollox of a low end it will be a gross +- polarity difference. Unlikely, but easy fix.

The rest is down to serendipity for the mids to match up nicely.

When I was running oddball cabs they sounded good enough together. A couple of times I went above and beyond to fully crossover biamp them high low and there was a distinct improvement in fidelity. It wasn't a big enough improvement to justify all the extra gear cartage.

The takeaway was phase reproduction differences between cabs is a real thing.

or I could use the speakon output from the amp and daisy chain the cabs I think. 

I thought initially that daisy chaining the cabs would put them in series, but it appears it would put them in parallel, so I stand corrected (I just love these orthopaedic shoes)

Yeah, it would be very unusual for a cab with two speakons sockets to be wired series. And at the least you’d expect a sodding great warning to that effect on the cab itself.

If you’re new to speakons then buy good cables from the off. Don’t use jacks unless you have to - speakon throughout the chain is much better. Get cables with proper Neutrik speakon plugs - the cheap Chinese knock offs ain’t good. 1.5mm core cable will be plenty 

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 1