Why become a member? ×

Fender Pugilist Dirtbox

NancyJohnson

I needed/wanted a simple distortion pedal for home recording of guitars; just wanted to dispense with recording off an amp and wanted something a) dual channel and b) switchable.  9v PSU or battery.

It's got two gain/dirt channels (A/B), both with a rudimentary tone control that just ramps up the treble a little (there's a switchable bass boost which works over both channels simultaneously that just adds a small amount of low end).  Channel A is best described as more vintage/old school tonally, Channel B being more modern high gain; both channels be run individually or blended.  It's blissfully simple - I don't need to run extra cables to the audio interface, just swap guitars and rotate the Blend knob to A or B.  Bass is nice and gnarly (very BDDI) and at £75.00 this is ridiculously cheap. 

This is a belter of a pedal.  

ovrMj25mQq5oJ5RX7RPhRE-1024-80.jpg.webp

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I've a few Fender pedals now, and they're all very interesting.

Does the above quote mean you've tried a bass through this?

Yes, but bear in mind I'm only going to use this for recording and convenience as all my backline-related Tech 21 stuff is elsewhere.  It seems quite happy handling bass - obviously you can blend wet/dry on each channel and you have a choice of (let's call it) vintage/modern pre-shape circuitry.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've a few Fender pedals now, and they're all very interesting.

Does the above quote mean you've tried a bass through this?

Fender also make a bass specific sister pedal to this which shares a few of the same features, the Trapper bass distortion. The lovely @krispn very graciously let me borrow his for a few days and I was highly impressed with it. It's more voiced towards traditional bass OD rather than scooped, clanky sounds but the adjustable crossover makes it highly versatile. 

https://www.fender.com/en-US/effects-pedals/bass/trapper-bass-distortion/0234564000.html

• Thanks 2

Here you go.  This is something that I recorded a couple of days ago.  The guitar is an Epiphone Pantomatic, P90 in the bridge position and passed through the Vintage side (A).  The bass was my Spector Euro LT through the Hi-Gain side - I find the Spector is a bit toppy, so tend to nudge the bass up a notch to phatten it up.  It's a very rough mix and the bass is high within this to demonstrate what the pedal gives.

Just as an aside, I habitually mix the guitar to the left and the bass to the right; always wanted the reverb on the guitar to just be on the right side and only worked out how to do this last week!

mix.mp3

13 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Here you go.  This is something that I recorded a couple of days ago.  The guitar is an Epiphone Pantomatic, P90 in the bridge position and passed through the Vintage side (A).  The bass was my Spector Euro LT through the Hi-Gain side - I find the Spector is a bit toppy, so tend to nudge the bass up a notch to phatten it up.  It's a very rough mix and the bass is high within this to demonstrate what the pedal gives.

Just as an aside, I habitually mix the guitar to the left and the bass to the right; always wanted the reverb on the guitar to just be on the right side and only worked out how to do this last week!

mix.mp3 6.4 MB · 4 downloads

I like that track a lot, the pugilist sounds great on the bass and has kept the weight of the clean low end. The bass tone is a bit more clanky than I prefer but no doubt that could be dialled back with the tone control to suit should I get the urge to pick one up B| 

• Thanks 1