Why become a member? ×

Rick Rubin talks new Red Hot Chili Peppers album

Bart Funk Bass

I'm looking forward to this.

Its all taste after all but my taste is that Californication is their best album and By the Way and Stadium Arcadia are also very good.  One hot minute is also good and Blood sugar sex magic is quite good, stuff earlier than that I am not into.

59 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

That was the party I blagged into... IIRC we met GBOA there and went on to support them 5 or 6 times, last time was at Edward's no. 8. 

Not jealous. At all. Nope. 🤣

I loved Gaye Bykers, still got a very worn yellow PFX T-shirt somewhere.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2021 at 16:33, wateroftyne said:

Hey @Bart Funk Bass - as your channel just seems to primarily be lots of content copied from other YouTube channels, is it not a bit cheeky asking for PayPal support..?

Just curious.

Not all of my videos are copied from other YouTube channels :P Plus the ones I copied are almost always enhanced by me (old VHS rips). The description below every video is pretty much the same :P

Edited by Bart Funk Bass

41 minutes ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

Not all of my videos are copied from other YouTube channels :P Plus the ones I copied are almost always enhanced by me (old VHS rips). The description below every video is pretty much the same :P

OK - most of what I’ve seen is already on YouTube. Some of it (like this one) from the original, and uncredited, source.

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

By The Way is a great album too - I don't understand why it gets all the hate. Bar 'Carbron', I think every song is at least good. 

In an old band our drummer was crazy on RHCP, at the time By The Way was out so we did On Mercury, great song to play.

• Like 3

I’m saying nowt.

I listen to everything they’ve done, I’d say I skip 1 or 2 tracks per album.

I hate the Zephyr song for example. 

As an avid fan of many years…I almost died of shock when the first track from BTW they played on UK tv was Cabron on Jonathan Ross.

I’ve seen them about 8 times live…inconsistent. 

I did enjoy lots of I’m with you and The Getaway was ace.

stadium arcadium could’ve been a single disc, but I’d rather have it all than nothing.

They’ve been at it for 40 years. So that’s beautiful.

Californication is an absolute winner - One Hot Minute has a couple of duffers.

I enjoy the early albums rawness but I think I’m in the BSSM and beyond camp for listening for pleasure and 

RHCP

Freakey Styley 

Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Mothers Milk

are fun to revisit 

• Like 4

I’ve seen them several times too and they have been inconsistent. The time I saw them at the Etihad was a bit pants. There was a time at MENA around By The Way (?) that was a bit meh. There have been a couple (?) of times at MENA when they were great. And then there were Leeds Festival when John first came back which was incredible, and Glasgow Green which was one of the best gigs I’ve been to. 

Given that Chili is in my user name, it’s pretty clear how I feel about the band and all their tunes, including all the B sides, especially I’m Beside You, the companion album to IWT. 

And given some of the earlier comments (think what you like of course) I wonder if this is what the band think about them and their life’s musical work? 😂😝😉

92D8C106-F8C5-4E36-B363-8E707E056F1B.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally RHCP are two different bands. The ultimate live band with massive energy and originality that could barely write a memorable tune. Then with Frusciante really well crafted memorable songs. I wouldn’t listen to any of the pre BSSM albums bar a couple of tunes off mother’s milk but give me a time-machine and I would try and make every live show from this period.

One Hot Minute was largely disappointing then everything up to SA were really well written, memorable songs though I would no longer be that interested in seeing them live for this entire period. I haven’t really listened to anything since SA which I thought was 50% filler so can’t comment on their recent output.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

stadium arcadium could’ve been a single disc, but I’d rather have it all than nothing.

They’ve been at it for 40 years. So that’s beautiful.

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Given that Chili is in my user name, it’s pretty clear how I feel about the band and all their tunes, including all the B sides, especially I’m Beside You, the companion album to IWT. 

Yes, I think there's some truth in that. Stadium Arcadium seems to be contentious for some reason, but I like it. People would probably be saying the same about I'm With You if it had been released as a double rather than two singles. If what Rubin says is accurate, given the volume of songs, we could be in for another double release. More RHCP is a good thing AFAIC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike f said:

I’m often surprised with the lack of regard for Uplift Mofo Party Plan. Flea was absolutely on fire on it, indeed the whole band was peaking. And what’s not to love about the bass break in Fight Like a Brave?! Love that album.

Same here. It has been my favorite album since I started listening to them (californication era). 

2 minutes ago, mike f said:

I’m often surprised with the lack of regard for Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

Love it!

And (almost) everything up to, and including BSSM. Just not a fan of their more melodic outings. But then I'm not really a melody type of person, I likes it hard, and I likes it funky. I even like slow, so long as it's both hard and funky. Even better if it's Out There as well.  Owt else is just that little bit wet...

1 hour ago, mike f said:

I’m often surprised with the lack of regard for Uplift Mofo Party Plan. Flea was absolutely on fire on it, indeed the whole band was peaking. And what’s not to love about the bass break in Fight Like a Brave?! Love that album.

Had it on this morning, inspired by this thread  - and original line up together for first time on an album, it’s killer IMO 👍

• Like 1