Why become a member? ×

Rick Rubin talks new Red Hot Chili Peppers album

Bart Funk Bass

The man who destroyed the Cult & ZZ-Top, made them both into new versions of AC/DC.

I'm sure he'll fit right in with RHCP.

I bought Blood Sugar Sex Magik & you know what happened?

I gave it away, gave it away, Gave it AWAY now!

because I hated it, & RHCP were the worst performers at Lollapalooza II, even on their home turf in L.A.

• Confused 2

I was so excited for Californication when it was released. The only other RHCP albums I had were Mothers Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik so I expected more of the same. 

I was so disappointed when I got home from Woolworths and listened to it. I think it was about two years before I gave it a second listen and I was just as disappointed. It only ever got played after that when there was a young lady in my car who might not enjoy Slayer.

• Like 1

I actually didn't mind Stadium Arcadium and thought it was a return to form after By The Way, which I found to be entirely boring apart from a couple of tracks (I think Don't Forget Me is one of their best songs, even though it is very similar in structure to Other Side) 

Honestly, I haven't really listened to them after seeing them on the Stadium Arcadium tour. It was the most uninspiring, phoned in performance I had ever seen at the time, which was  an impressive achievement on account that I had seen Van Morrison a few months prior. 

I probably will give this one a miss too. 

• Haha 1

Steve FXR - Yeah, we gathered!😂

If someone’s idea of the Chilis is the hard funking early band, I can see why they might not like the later albums; however I’ve always been more about songs, and for me some of the songs on the later albums far surpass the early ones, much as I also love the early versions of the band. I think Californication is just as good as BSSM, just different. I also really like much of SA. I’m actually not that keen on Mother’s Milk! My favourite Chilis track is Venice Queen. 

Edited by 4000

4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

By The Way is a great album too - I don't understand why it gets all the hate. Bar 'Carbron', I think every song is at least good. 

Yup, it’s a favourite of mine too alongside Uplift Mofo and Bloodsugar. I prefer it to Stadium Arcadium.

I first saw the Chillis at a pub that is now Hammersmith bus station in 1987... A friend of mine had brought back the 1st album and Freakey Styley from LA the year before and I was completely blown away by their hardcore punkfunk and excellent live performance. Saw them again at the Mean Fiddler, not long before Hillel died, then at the Electric Ballroom and twice at the Astoria. Every time they rocked like muthas, though you could see little glimmers of "growing up" or as I would call it, getting old or following the money.

And like most bands who discover some sort of success, they did what more punters wanted which was less hard and more nice choons. So they alienated much of their early fanbase by grooving less and allowing Antwan The Swan to sing more, which is a shame as he's a brilliant frontman and rhythmic shouter, but not such a good singer.

Still, they probably don't give a toss what I think!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

And like most bands who discover some sort of success, they did what more punters wanted which was less hard and more nice choons. So they alienated much of their early fanbase by grooving less and allowing Antwan The Swan to sing more

It may actually have been what they wanted. I started out in heavy metal bands, writing heavy metal tunes; wouldn’t really want to be playing it now (much as I still love the Sabbaths of this world). At some point, about 6 years in, it became about the tunes for me too. It happens, it’s not always “chasing the money”, although it probably is part of growing older and - hopefully - developing as a musician.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

By The Way is a great album too - I don't understand why it gets all the hate. Bar 'Carbron', I think every song is at least good. 

I agree with this,  especially the 2nd half of the album.

I think Venice Queen is one of my favourite RHCP songs.

I also saw them live twice during this period and they were incredible both times!

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

It may actually have been what they wanted.

Perhaps!

Though I remember blagging my way into the party after one of the Astoria shows and having a rather toke-y conversation with Flea about the difference between Mother's Finest and Funkadelic, and how they compared with the Gang of Four and New York No Wave punkfunk movements... He was very knowledgeable and keen on the idea of funkin' and rockin' hard, both of which have kind of fallen by the wayside since Californication, though not completely.

Mebbe giving up the drugs somewhat mellowed them!

• Like 1